Wearing the Niqab in Court

kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Wearing the Niqab in Court

Post by kibbs »

I believe that the final decision was about as fair and Canadian as you get. When it gets this touchy we go case by case .Good on Canada for not shaming this woman any further. :sunshine:
Peace be with you.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Kibbs, what's in that peace pipe you're smoking? This ain't 'Tranna', and Toronto is not the center of the universe as every Torontonian would have us believe. Thumbs down on the veil in court too.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

his ain't 'Tranna', and Toronto

No but its still canada and not not 51st state ,Strong and Free
Peace be with you.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

when in rome ,do as romans do, if you do not like it HERE get the f out
why do these people really come here anyway ?????????????????????????????????????????????
they come here then all they do is complain about everything, instead of being greatful to live
in this great country,as soon as they get here they complain how the laws are not the same as were they came from

SO LEAVE
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

I remember when Canada was Canada, when I was in school we had a short prayer over the intercom and a jump around to a couple songs and those who didnt want to participate went into the hallway for those few mins. We had a right to do what we wanted to do and so did they. Now you cant even say "Christmas party" on a memo in the work place, has to be "Holiday party" That still makes me cringe.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

yap
,the good old days
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Ah, the good old days when black people rode in the back of a bus and immigrants knew their place....
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

Captain Awesome wrote:Ah, the good old days when black people rode in the back of a bus and immigrants knew their place....

Nobody's talking about segregation here - but it seems reasonable to expect people who immigrate here from other countries to adapt to ours, instead of expecting us to adopt their culture, values and laws. If they like them so much, why come to Canada? Is it the snow they find so appealing?
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Captain Awesome wrote:Ah, the good old days when black people rode in the back of a bus and immigrants knew their place....

Depends on how far ya wanna go back and what country you were in I think. I was talking about 40 ish years ago.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Sn0man wrote:...but it seems reasonable to expect people who immigrate here from other countries to adapt to ours, instead of expecting us to adopt their culture, values and laws. If they like them so much, why come to Canada?

I kinda like other cultures. Everybody brings something new, we all stew in it, and something new appears. Went out for sushi the other day - thank god for Japanese people bringing some of their culture in and not leaving it behind like you want them to. Besides, you can't even describe what Canadian culture is to begin with. May be because we're a mix of different cultures thrown together through years of immigration - very much different from your "leave your culture where you came from" views.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Captain Awesome wrote:
I kinda like other cultures. Everybody brings something new, we all stew in it, and something new appears. Went out for sushi the other day - thank god for Japanese people bringing some of their culture in and not leaving it behind like you want them to. Besides, you can't even describe what Canadian culture is to begin with. May be because we're a mix of different cultures thrown together through years of immigration - very much different from your "leave your culture where you came from" views.

Hey CA, yer reading into it too deeply, no one said they couldnt show us their stuff and even open places for sishi and indian food,,, I love indian food, every bit of it, people are saying they can wear their stuff but why do you need to go 100 percent this way or that? There is a place for everything and court just isnt it for something that covers the face. We have always had the ability to see facial expressions and such to help jurours decide what they need to, also how could someone be sure they were pointing at the accused if they cant see em?
Again I say if she wants to deal with her sexual abuse in her country her way then so beit, here she wants the rights of our processes without giving it all it needs, if she had been in her own home land she might not do so well and here we want to give her a fair shake, why buck it?
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

Captain Awesome wrote:

I never said "leave your culture where you came from". I enjoy experiencing other cultures. I even watch baseball and have a hot dog sometimes. :sillygrin:

But there has to be limits - or we'll end up living in a country where displaying "Merry Christmas" on a bus might be challenged in court as being offensive.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Captain Awesome wrote:
I kinda like other cultures.

Well, for the most part I kinda agree with you. However there is culture and then there is culture :D

I like other cultures' food and music and art stuff. I like their clothing and their architecture, too (especially the gold onion domes and fancy plasterwork).

I can do quite well without some of the more barbaric cultural stuff that some drag with them to this country. I can do without the culture that treats their females like garbage and chattel. And I can do without the culture that comes into where I am working, demands things in their language and then gets peed off and belligerent with me because I don't speak their language.

I won't even touch on the religious "culture" they keep trying to impose in this country but it doesn't make me too happy, either.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

ns do, if you do not like it HERE get the f out
why do these people really come here anyway ????????????

I love it here in Canada .Do you?.i am happy with the decision of the Canadian supreme court.Are you ?i love all the different ethnicity and cultures that flourish here.Do You?I don't think there is many countries that people with out dated attitudes can be happy,Try Alabama or "BAMA" as they say.The Canada you you use to know started going out of style at the same time as the head tax did.
Peace be with you.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

grammafreddy wrote:I like other cultures' food and music and art stuff. I like their clothing and their architecture, too (especially the gold onion domes and fancy plasterwork).

Well, you can't expect "good things" come in without some "not so good". You can't tell people - "Well, bring your food, but the way you dress - leave at home. Also, your music is annoying, so do us all a favor, and stop listening to it not to offend us. But your paintings are cool, hang them up." Doesn't work that way, really.

Besides, the new immigrants are citizens of this country just like yourself, they can do whatever they want, we don't have classes - first class citizens who lived here for a while and second class citizens who just joined us and are not allowed to express themselves and have to listen to how first class citizens tell them to behave.

Return to “Canada”