Wearing the Niqab in Court

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Wearing the Niqab in Court

Post by grammafreddy »

removed - Jennylives
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Let's keep this thread on topic. Thanks!
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Right, on topic.

Anyways, what difference does it make what somebody wears in court? We have people showing up with rainbow suspenders, some show up dressed like female ninjas. What's the difference? What counts is the testimony, not what somebody wears. Court isn't some holy place where everybody should be dressed certain way - as long as it doesn't compromise the outcome, who gives a crap.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

removed, the topic is not genital mutilation - Jennylives
Peace be with you.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Captain Awesome wrote:Right, on topic.

Anyways, what difference does it make what somebody wears in court?

It's easier for someone to lie on the stand when their face is covered, and I know if I was on a jury, I'd want to see the person's face and expressions, otherwise for jury duty they might as well tell you to stay at home and they'll send you the transcripts. As I mentioned earlier, when a family gets to make an impact statement to someone who's messed up their lives, they should be able to look that person in the eye.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

zzontar wrote:It's easier for someone to lie on the stand when their face is covered, and I know if I was on a jury, I'd want to see the person's face and expressions, otherwise for jury duty they might as well tell you to stay at home and they'll send you the transcripts.

Well, the judge would be the best person to ask if this will get in the way. As you see, it's only allowed in certain cases and there are limitations. I imagine these limitations are in order to prevent clothes getting in the way of fair trial. So, with that out of the way, I see no problem. Just like I see no problem with witnesses wearing rainbow suspenders. Doesn't hurt anybody.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

They should not be allowed to wear it in court, for any Canadian documentation, ie drivers licence, provincial Id,,, what ever and if we let them wear it in court they will gain rights to wear it for Pic Id's as well.
Many who come here come to escape what their country and religion has decided they must do there and so coming here should mean they are leaving it behind IMO. That cover up is to keep them as women in their country, a second class level of their religious group or so it seems in many sides of their religion and you'd think they would be free of that here even if they stayed with their beliefs in the religion itself for many other reasons.
We dont like them committing honour killings here, we dont need them hiding behind coverings when offering them the same rights of law we like to have here and they should shed it at least for any legal process or else we should be able to hide behind coverings for our court proceedings too and we Cant do that.
If she was raped in her country chances are she wouldnt get a fair shot at charging them but would be called a family shame for being caught up in that situation and possibly would be harmed or even killed for it, here she was offered justice in the Canadian way and should be safe from those other reprocussions that being in her home land would throw at her. She should not use our system if she is unwilling to use it at its fullest as if she was truely a Canadian citizen now.
Oh, and this is just me maybe but I find them nijabs spooky to look at,,, am I the only one?
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Oh, and this is just me maybe but I find them nijabs spooky to look at,,, am I the only one?

they really dont work cause i find them sexy and very mysterious
Peace be with you.
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

Captain Awesome wrote:
Rome was invaded by immigrants and now looks radically different from what it once used to be.

Isn't that ironic?

Or prophetic.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

Predictable. You gotta push the limits.
process99
Board Meister

Post by process99 »

What a bunch of crap, If a woman should be allowed to wear a mask because thats what it is then I should be able to as well.
For that matter since they seem to want to disregard the attire required in court(The sign of respect) then everyone who attends from lawyers to jurors to defendants should be allowed to wear anything they want from dayton boots and shirts that say puk this court to short shorts and bikini tops.
By not respecting the court your not respecting the authority it represents and honestly masks(niqab) or burka is something I would expect a potential thief to be wearing to hide their identity.
Just imagine if they did allow a DL photo in full garb, there would be 1000 identical pictures on DL's all over Canada. Law enforcement would just love that im sure.
I really don't care what you wear when your at home or at a church or private places, but in this day and age if your out in public and you want the same respect as other Canadian citizens then no face coverings period. NO in Court, No in school, No in Govt photos, and NO anywhere you may need to be Identified. This is how we enforce our laws. We identify the offender and punish them.
Masks and face coverings make this FAR more difficult and allow for many other problems to arise..
Get with it girls, YOU are in charge show your beautiful faces those who have oppressed you for thousands of years are a dying breed and will soon be gone.
You are beautiful and you should be allowed to show it..NO matter what anyone says..
Men who think this way should just be neutured period. They should not be allowed to propagate these assinine cultural handcuffs any longer. PERIOD.

P99
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

They have been wearing the veil for centuries.they were raised to believe it is important.It is to prevent lust and rape.who are we to judge how a centuries old society protects their woman.That is the intent and belief.Why can we not compromise to protect their strong belief in a multi -cultural society,if it really does not damage our culture at all.The problem is many people want us to stay all white and do not see the benefits of a multi-culture.Sorry we are a multi-cultural society get use to the reality.By welcoming all races of the world to Canada to live in peace. We can bring peace to the world. Hallelujah.
Peace be with you.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

kibbs wrote:They have been wearing the veil for centuries.they were raised to believe it is important.It is to prevent lust and rape.

By your way of thinking, we should allow men to move here who will be tempted to rape any woman who's face they can see.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

kibbs wrote:They have been wearing the veil for centuries.they were raised to believe it is important.It is to prevent lust and rape.who are we to judge how a centuries old society protects their woman.That is the intent and belief.Why can we not compromise to protect their strong belief in a multi -cultural society,if it really does not damage our culture at all.The problem is many people want us to stay all white and do not see the benefits of a multi-culture.Sorry we are a multi-cultural society get use to the reality.By welcoming all races of the world to Canada to live in peace. We can bring peace to the world. Hallelujah.

Could be some women having been wearing it their entire life but the woman in this court case only started wearing it 5-6 years ago so your point is moot. She can't have it both ways. And I agree with the judges who said it should not be worn on the witness stand. Can't extend special treatment to one party in a court case and not the other.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

kibbs wrote:They have been wearing the veil for centuries.they were raised to believe it is important.It is to prevent lust and rape.who are we to judge how a centuries old society protects their woman.That is the intent and belief.Why can we not compromise to protect their strong belief in a multi -cultural society,if it really does not damage our culture at all.The problem is many people want us to stay all white and do not see the benefits of a multi-culture.Sorry we are a multi-cultural society get use to the reality.By welcoming all races of the world to Canada to live in peace. We can bring peace to the world. Hallelujah.

In their belief as stated in the "Ask me anything about" thread it is to keep their men from looking at them in a sexual wanting way more then it is about religion. In a court room people are looking at you for truth and they want to see your face because your face tells a lot about what you are saying. In those countries a fair trial is not always guarenteed so it might not matter what they wear in a court room over there but here to get a fair trial we need to keep our policy as it has been way too long before they started coming here. Its an odd request to ask for such a thing and expect our fair legal systems to provide its services at its best as it has worked all along, on physical recognition of the accused and truth and proper judgement.
Also if it is for protection of their women it would seem in this case it didnt work out well for her since she is charging two men for raping her,,,, right? And werent those men even members of her family? Could be wrong.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post

Return to “Canada”