P.E.I. drunk drivers' vehicles could get special plates

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

P.E.I. drunk drivers' vehicles could get special plates

Post by oneh2obabe »

Drunk drivers on P.E.I. may soon have to carry a reminder, and an advertisement, of their crime on the backs of their vehicles.

Transportation Minister Robert Vessey is floating the idea of distinctive plates for drivers enrolled in the ignition interlock program.

"A lot of people have a lot of pride in themselves and an impaired driver sometimes, if they're going to be identified, might make them think twice before they jump behind the wheel of a vehicle while impaired," said Vessey.

P.E.I. had more impaired driving incidents per capita last year than any other province in Atlantic Canada.

Vessey said it's time to get aggressive with drunk drivers, and he is looking around for new ways to do that. Special plates are currently the law in Ohio and Minnesota.

Sample image of Ohio's distinctive yellow and red drunk-driving license plate.

Jean Ryan, the impaired driving program co-ordinator in Minnesota, believes the program is particularly effective for preventing repeat offences.

"I think when you're driving around with a special series licence plate on the car, it's a constant reminder that you did make a poor decision, and that you really don't want to make that decision again," said Ryan.

Andrew Murie, CEO of Mothers Against Drunk Driving Canada, said P.E.I. is a particularly good place to try the special plates.

"If any place it might work, it might be Prince Edward Island because it's a smaller type of community, more isolated, and neighbours know neighbours," said Murie.

Vessey is hosting a summit next month to deal with the drunk-driving problem on P.E.I., and plans to raise the drunk driver licence plate idea at that meeting.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-ed ... s-584.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: P.E.I. drunk drivers' vehicles could get special plates

Post by Bsuds »

I think that's an Awesome idea and should be used everywhere!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Hmmmmm, I rather like this idea, however I can see it being fought quit a lot.

It's in line with making people who cheat on spouses wear the scarlet A, or perhaps branding a T into a thieves face, etc etc.

Though I think a plan to reduce re-offending, or even initial offending is great, you will be singled out and essentially mocked from then on and who might then sue for "emotional damages" or some other such "issue"

Though I don't find this idea a bad one, how much BS will we have to deal with because of it?

I bet lesser penalties but with this as one of them would be a more effective tool than threatening higher fines.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Might keep your buddies/kids from borrowing your vehicle. :D

While I can see it being an effective tool on several counts, the big issue I have against it is that it is on the car, not the person. So, if you are a one-vehicle family, everyone who drives that car is tarred with that brush in the public eye.

Also, it would perhaps only be on one vehicle? What if the drunk owned, say, four vehicles - A family car, his own car, a work truck/vehicle and a company one??
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

grammafreddy wrote:Also, it would perhaps only be on one vehicle? What if the drunk owned, say, four vehicles - A family car, his own car, a work truck/vehicle and a company one??

That's where the scheme might not be feasible ... in most provinces, drivers enrolled in the ignition interlock program can't operate any vehicle unless it's equipped with the device and that includes rental vehicles.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Canada”