China makes plans to mine the Arctic

logicalview
Guru

Re: China makes plans to mine the Arctic

Post by logicalview »

grammafreddy wrote:
Yeah, huh? Well, the 2030s will be calling .... where are your grandkids going to find work?

anywhere they want, if we train them properly and they want to work. This whole concept of closing our borders because we are scared of there being no jobs for our kids is so out-dated and rascist. I can't believe that the radical leftists are supporting it. Instead of teaching our kids a dead language in our schools to appease our Eastern minority for the sake of hurt feelings and political correctness, we should be teaching them Spanish and Mandarin to prepare them for the future realities of our new world.
Not afraid to say "It".
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

grammafreddy wrote:
Yeah, huh? Well, the 2030s will be calling .... where are your grandkids going to find work?

Gram, you are making a cpl of mistakes in your take on this. First, You cannot extrapolate the situation of the underground mine that had foreign workers approved to the proposed open pit mine. The underground mining tech to remove this resource has not been done in Canada previously thus no local workers with the know how. It is a common method in China thus a ready labour pool. They also WILL BE hiring and training Canadian workers in this method, phasing out the foriegn workers completely over a fourteen yr period. This will also close the loophole to further foreign worker applications because there will now be canadians experienced in this mining method. The latest mine proposal does not even mention foreign workers and is an open pit mine....a method we have plenty of experience in and thus would not qualify for foreign workers unless no qualified Canadians applied for the job.
Second, we are not selling out to the chinese any more than we sold out to Australian, South African, American etc companies who invested here to mine gold, diamonds, copper etc. Why are you so fixated that it is Chinese capital now? Tell me what the difference is?
Third, I would say what is good for the goose is good for the gander. You don't seem to want foreign companies coming to Canada for resource plays but seem to forget that Canadian Mining companies operate all over the world as well. Yes, even in China. So what are you saying to the world......we want our companies to be able to play in your yards but you all stay the hell out of ours.
Fourth, you ask where are all the Canadian mining companies? Good question. You should ask it to them directly not the gov't. They will tell you that they have their capital at work elsewhere in the world at this time that provides a better return than the expensive and marginal returns of that mega project 500 miles north of anywhere a human being doesn't do very well. Bottom line is that rather than trying to call this a sellout, you should be pleased that someone is proposing to possibly step up to the plate and invest hundreds of billions into a resourse of deposits that have been know about since the fifties but no one could figure out how to make feasable and create jobs for Canadians who are willing to work there and royalties to our gov't that pay for roads and healthcare.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

grammafreddy wrote:Yeah, huh? Well, the 2030s will be calling .... where are your grandkids going to find work?

I hope to hell and will do everything in my power to make sure my kids wont have to work in a hole in the ground in the arctic. But if they want to i am sure they will be able to if they work hard enough and i will support them in that endevour.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

albertabound wrote::ohmygod: How idiotic can some of you be, making dumb statements,no jobs have been lost in canada to the chinesse,show where they have been lost. The unions priced themselves out of the market in bc in the mining sector. :sunshine: :bethecoffee: :coffeecanuck:

Not just China.
Manufacturing.
Forestry.

Unions are not the problem. By saying unions you are implying a living wage is the problem. If we all made Chinese wages, who would the merchants sell their merchandise too? God even Henry Ford the Right Wing Fascists (was loved by Hitler and the Nazis for his anti-Jewish sentments and even received one of the first Nazi awards to a non-German) understood this! Why can't you?
High wages=high sales=good healthy economy. Even the dentists are complaining that they are losing business because of the loss of unionized high paying jobs that also included dental benefits.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Actually, unions ARE the problem in much of Canada's dwindling manufacturing sector, as seen by the exodus of those jobs to offshore and even stateside facilities. If the unions were so great and so productive, those jobs would still be here. Instead, union membership is half of what it was a couple of decades ago, despite a 35% higher population. The only constant in the loss of those jobs is, you guessed it, high-priced/low-productivity union labour.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

Rwede wrote:Actually, unions ARE the problem in much of Canada's dwindling manufacturing sector, as seen by the exodus of those jobs to offshore and even stateside facilities. If the unions were so great and so productive, those jobs would still be here. Instead, union membership is half of what it was a couple of decades ago, despite a 35% higher population. The only constant in the loss of those jobs is, you guessed it, high-priced/low-productivity union labour.

Oh you are correct. So sorry I disagreed with you. Than you for setting me straight. I will now vote BC Liberals and Conservative.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas

Return to “Canada”