Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

First Encounters – Military and Commercial Alliances will help you understand some of the complexities behind the treaties and creation of reserves http://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1307460755710/1307460872523

Thank you CF.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

[quote="cv23"They" don't have any land.
Any land "they" think they have is federal land and part of Canada not some foreign country.[/quote]

CV, I'll side with Smoke on this.
I don't agree with Harper declaring that Canada now recognizes Indian Bands as a Nation witin a Nation. Whatever that means?

But we did in times long past agree that we would give them these packages of land so they would stop trying to impede migration of mankind as the worlds population growth required (and I'll admit I'm ignorant on the status of some of the treaties that were never completed)
Let them keep these lands. Pay for access to thier lands same as any entity has to pay for access to any land owners properties.

Whatever it takes to get us all on a level playing field. Assimilate Canada's population to one standard of recognition. Canadian.

Canadians, red, brown, black or white should only be elidgable for the same compensation as other Canadians when they CAN'T work.
My English cousins are'nt claiming ancester of the Normands relinquish the riches aquired with their migration to the British Ilses.

P.S. don't rake me over the coals with the analegy of a Normand invaison of the British Isles.
Just use any acurate example of mans migrations around the world. Seldom as amicable as the migraton to todays Canada where the native population of the day were not decimated.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

cv23 wrote:So our great great great great grandfather supposedly did the natives some wrong.
Even in the case of murder, the most heinous of all crimes that can be committed, only the murder himself pays reparations or serves his time, not all his decendents for ever more.
Anything that may have been owed was paid for generations ago. It is now time to end the gravy train to end and ALL citizens of Canada be equal.

I dare you to read the link I posted earlier about the history cv...you might be surprised that some of the agreements don't go back as far as you think.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

coffeeFreak wrote:I dare you to read the link I posted earlier about the history cv...you might be surprised that some of the agreements don't go back as far as you think.

Repeating mistakes and hoping for a different outcome is the definition of insanity.
It's time to hold a national referendum on the Native issue. Let every single Canadian have a say as to whether we should ALL be equal or that we should consider one race as special.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

cv23 wrote:So our great great great great grandfather supposedly did the natives some wrong.
Even in the case of murder, the most heinous of all crimes that can be committed, only the murder himself pays reparations or serves his time, not all his decendents for ever more.
Anything that may have been owed was paid for generations ago. It is now time to end the gravy train to end and ALL citizens of Canada be equal.

coffeeFreak wrote:I dare you to read the link I posted earlier about the history cv...you might be surprised that some of the agreements don't go back as far as you think.

Right, CF - the last residential school closed in 1996 in Saskatchewan. That's not very long ago, is it, CV?

As far as Treaties are concerned, since 1975, there have been 22 comprehensive claims agreements, commonly known as "modern treaties", concluded across northern Québec, the Northwest Territories, the Yukon and British Columbia.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Boda wrote:
Let them keep these lands. Pay for access to thier lands same as any entity has to pay for access to any land owners properties.

Whatever it takes to get us all on a level playing field. Assimilate Canada's population to one standard of recognition. Canadian.

Now your making sense.
It's not about taking anything away from them except the special privileges they demand soley based on their race.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

cv23 wrote:It's not about taking anything away from them except the special privileges they demand soley based on their race.

I would be interested to see a link about that.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

cv23 wrote:Repeating mistakes and hoping for a different outcome is the definition of insanity.
It's time to hold a national referendum on the Native issue. Let every single Canadian have a say as to whether we should ALL be equal or that we should consider one race as special.

Oh, yeah, sure - with all the negativity and uneducated white masses, that wouldn't be even remotely unbiased, would it? Throughout the course of white man generations, the natives have been looked down upon as the great unwashed and heathen savages. Not too much has changed with this current generation, either.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

grammafreddy wrote:
Right, CF - the last residential school closed in 1996 in Saskatchewan. That's not very long ago, is it, CV?

As far as Treaties are concerned, since 1975, there have been 22 comprehensive claims agreements, commonly known as "modern treaties", concluded across northern Québec, the Northwest Territories, the Yukon and British Columbia.

So we gave them a free education and a place to live based on their race. That's more than any other Canadian got.

How much land did the government "give" to other Canadians, based soley on race, since 1975 ?
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

cv23 wrote:
So we gave them a free education and a place to live based on their race. That's more than any other Canadian got.

How much land did the government "give" to other Canadians, based soley on race, since 1975 ?

Huh ??
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

cv23 wrote:It's not about taking anything away from them except the special privileges they demand soley based on their race.

They demand????

Geezuz, CV ... truth is it was forced on them by the federal government over generations in the past 200 years.

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

grammafreddy wrote:

cv23 wrote:So we gave them a free education and a place to live based on their race. That's more than any other Canadian got.

Now you are trolling.

cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

grammafreddy wrote:
Oh, yeah, sure - with all the negativity and uneducated white masses, that wouldn't be even remotely unbiased, would it? Throughout the course of white man generations, the natives have been looked down upon as the great unwashed and heathen savages. Not too much has changed with this current generation, either.

Not just the "white masses" would vote but the brown, black , yellow , etc. If the whites are so uneducated where does that place all the other races, native included?
The natives have been given far more based on their race than any other Canadian has. If they chose to continue with the stereotype even with all they have been given over years how is continuing giving them more and more going to change anything?
They like the stereotype so they can continue to make us feel guilty in some way.
I would be totally in favor of letting every full blood native alive in Canada today have his reserve land granted to him/her as freehold and giving each of them a one time $10 million dollar payment. After that they are regular Canadians who have to work for their money and pay taxes. They can have their churches, schools, etc just like any other ethnic group in Canada does.
I bet the ignorant white masses might initially baulk at such an idea but once they realized the savings over even a decade they would vote for it in a heartbeat
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

grammafreddy wrote:
They demand????

Geezuz, CV ... truth is it was forced on them by the federal government over generations in the past 200 years.

What is the title of this thread? It's about Harper meAting with chief Spence to hear her "demands"
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

grammafreddy wrote:
Now you are trolling.

No
I asked a question. Got an answer?

Return to “Canada”