Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

Post by Ken7 »

Did any of you posters sign the petition, and how many took the time to send a note to their MLA?

If you did not, quite complaining and keep paying!
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

Ken7 wrote:Did any of you posters sign the petition, and how many took the time to send a note to their MLA?

If you did not, quite complaining and keep paying!

Done and done!
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

What petition?
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDbdty7KZg0

I think if you listen you will find that natives desire a change in the relationship with non natives and how their comunities are run.they just want to have a say and not be treated like children anymore.
Peace be with you.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

bad analogy IMO If one acts like an entitled child, most likely will get treated like one.....no one likes a brat.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

The way we treating them like children is by altering treaties ,which are to be negotiated with their consultation.We continue with our 'we know better attitude cause we've been living and promoting doomed western culture longer'.
Peace be with you.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

Instead of "altering" treaties, abolish them and reservations and everyone is treated equally. The Canadian government is to blame, in large part, for the attitudes of the people. Not only toward natives but also toward immigrants because they get far more "perks", in the public eye, than the average Canadian does. IMO They, too, have choices to make.....continue the way it is or take pride in themselves and their heritage and make life better. IMO, the heritage and ways of the native culture is a beautiful thing, but what do you see when you drive through a reservation? Usually the chief's home is beautiful and the rest of the people live in some form of squalor. That is pathetic, but it is up to the people to speak up and hold their chief, etc., up to the microscope, so to speak. There are a lot of FN people that have big time attitudes as well, so it is not simply the "white" people. One can only earn respect if you give it.
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

Roadster wrote:What petition?

Go back a few threads.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Instead of "altering" treaties, abolish them and reservations and everyone is treated equally.

We came here made treaties that took away 99 percent of the land .force them on reserves .Take and attempt to reeducate their children .All but decimating a proud culture,And now when they say we want to have a say in treaty negotiating .They are rising organizing gaining strength and coherency ,you think we should just take the rest of the land they have ,which is what there culture is based and just become regular joe Canadians.Tear up legal contracts,Who is the savage barbarian?
Peace be with you.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

Do you actually read what is written? I never have, and never would say anything like what you are insinuating and I think the "savage barbarian" attitude went out the window a hundred years ago. What happened over 100 years ago, I doubt that anyone in their right mind would say was right...none of it. It was a different world then, and I believe that the natives, also, did their fair share of massacres and such.....different time and they did what they did....people got hung on trees for stealing a horse, and less, for god sake. Taking children away to make them "white" was assenine and cruel, without a doubt. But "we", "I", did not do that....it was done by people with no concept of anything except fear of the unknown and, although that may seem like an excuse, it is the truth and it does not make it right in any way.
All I am saying is that they need to stand up and take pride in who they are, and to hold their chiefs, etc., up to scrutiny. We all have choices to make in life and they can choose to do what they are doing, or work to change the stereotype.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

All I am saying is that they need to stand up and take pride in who they are, and to hold their chiefs, etc., up to scrutiny. We all have choices to make in life and they can choose to do what they are doing, or work to change the stereotype.

That is what idle no more is trying to do ,not ask for more of your tax dollars.Join them in their fight to protect our land ,unite our cultures for a common good.
Peace be with you.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

I never said, in any way, shape or form, that they are asking for more tax dollars. Can you read?
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I never said, in any way, shape or form, that they are asking for more tax dollars. Can you read?

that was for the bean counters
Peace be with you.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

kibbs wrote:The way we treating them like children is by altering treaties ,which are to be negotiated with their consultation.We continue with our 'we know better attitude cause we've been living and promoting doomed western culture longer'.

I agree, we have been treating them like children, time we get them up on their feet and offer them work like adults. I think they have been treated like royalty, considering all this happened so many years ago by someone else other then ourselves, many Canadians who's families were not even here on Canadian soil yet, but paying for what was a long time ago. it's unreal. Yet we do it. It's time to let them do as those two in the video above said, become the people they should be. Stand up and be strong, quit fighting for the right to stay in, get out and become someone. I am glad we are starting to hear their own people say it and I hope they are listening.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

kibbs wrote:
That is what idle no more is trying to do ,not ask for more of your tax dollars.Join them in their fight to protect our land ,unite our cultures for a common good.

Idle no more is about everything,,, no one really knows what it's about anymore. And yes it is about our tax dollars,,, that chief is starving over leaking houses and the governments slow pace about fixing a situation our government has been paying into all along. if I gave you a house should I come back to maintain it too? Not likely, you be one lucky soul to get a free house from me yet my tax dollars I have paid into over my working years has probably bought a few free homes already and they don't have to maintain them,,,? We need to petition that this ends now and every Canadian is treated equal,,, anything given free to one is given to all, and only those who put into it are allowed to use it, when needed.

Return to “Canada”