grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

Post by grammafreddy »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/854 ... ving-Chief
PM will meet starving Chief
by The Canadian Press - Story: 85414
Jan 4, 2013 / 11:52 am

Photo: The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.
Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence speaks to reporters during a press conference outside her teepee on Victoria Island in Ottawa on Friday, January 4, 2013. Spence has been on a hunger strike for more than three weeks. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

Chief Theresa Spence expressed joy Friday at news that Prime Minister Stephen Harper has agreed to meet First Nations leaders, but said she won't end her hunger strike until the meeting actually takes place next Friday.

"I'm just really overjoyed to hear that the Crown, the prime minister and the government, that they're going to meet with us," she said. "I'll still be here on my hunger strike until the actual meeting takes place."

Spence plans to attend the meetings in person, she added. "I'll be there with my chiefs."

Harper has agreed to meet about 10 days earlier than the date the Assembly of First Nations had proposed in a bid to both calm protests and put an end Spence's nearly month-long hunger strike.

But Spence said she won't close her encampment on Victoria Island, where she has lived without solid food since Dec. 11.

The prime minister's office says the meeting next week will be co-ordinated by the Assembly of First Nations and will focus on treaty relationships, aboriginal rights and economic development.

"I think it is good news and a good move by the prime minister," Grand Chief Stan Louttit told CBC News on Friday.

He said he was pleased that Spence will be included in the talks.

"Chief Spence has been the driving force for 25 days."

The meeting is being billed as a follow-through on talks in January 2012 when the government and First Nations committed to an ongoing dialogue.

"While some progress has been made, there is more that must be done to improve outcomes for First Nations communities across Canada," Harper said in a statement.

The Canadian Press

Other than the *drama!!!* headline, this is good news. Social media has gone along way to uniting both on reserve and off reserve FN people (as well as non-natives) in the Idle No More campaign which now has gone global.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/idle-no-mo ... -1.1101386

To ignore them would have been quite foolish and disrespectful after last January's agreement to have open dialogue.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

Post by xjeepguy »

Apparently she has been having fish broth and moose broth and water . You could live out your entire life on that . Just cut them a check and lets move on .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
rutland1
Board Meister

Post by rutland1 »

On that diet she will be hunger striking for the next 40 years. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

I think that Harper was careful to say that he was going to meet with Aboriginal leaders as opposed to saying that he was going to cave in to Spence's so called hunger strike protest, to meet with her specifically. IMO this women has more nerve than a toothache to be carrying on the way she has. Is she not the Chief of the Attawapiskat band in Ontario that was the recipient of over a hundred million dollars for a population of about 1800 people, yet many were living in tents and shacks? Didn't she then kick the independent auditors off her reserve so that he books and spending could not be completely explored and exposed? I would personally be grossly offended if our Prime MInister were to go against the long standing policy of refusing to meet with protesters while they are involved in illegal activities or [in some other way] are figuratively speaking, holding a gun to the head of government. There are a lot of questions that Canadians should be asking about this whole Idle No More (Bill C-45) issue. From what I can see, there is an awful lot of misinformation being spread about the Bill C-45, and as tax payers we are footing a financial cost for it all.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

right on my native brothers ,we have much to learn from you. :nyah:
Last edited by kibbs on Jan 4th, 2013, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace be with you.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

Guess that ice resurfacer was really really needed at the bargin price of $96,00.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/st ... 52649.html

Soon as the government wanted to see the books Ms. Spence went on her "hunger strike". I hope the feds do not cave and cut her another cheque so she can keep making these wonderful financial decisions.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Libelle wrote:Guess that ice resurfacer was really really needed at the bargin price of $96,00.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/st ... 52649.html

Soon as the government wanted to see the books Ms. Spence went on her "hunger strike". I hope the feds do not cave and cut her another cheque so she can keep making these wonderful financial decisions.

ms.spence is so full of it, she makes me want to puke
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

You bet she is. She is the reason for people living in huts not the federal govt. For once the govt can not be blamed.
susyq
Fledgling

Post by susyq »

Let me just say this is not just about money.... All Canadians should sit up and take notice of what the Government is doing....this is about the enviroment & how Harper has made it easier for oil pipelines and mining in Canada to be able to get through the red tape and start destroying our beautiful land....his tactics disgust me...I sure did not vote for him or the the "Steven Harper Style" watch this video:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12/22 ... 52152.html
what a joke this government is to the world, letting Chief Spence + others starve because he is so arrogant he can't meet with them to discuss issues??? what has happened to our country?? Our Prime minister should be dealing with this....but NO Just ignore it maybe it will go away...Just saying.....
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

...and in Thunder Bay this week a native girl was abducted and raped by two white unknown males who were making racist comments during the rape - not the first.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-b ... ml?cmp=rss

If a white teenager was abducted and raped by two natives...would have been front page news by now.

Also in that city, the local PD's are dropping off natives outside of city limits in -25 weather and making them walk home. Not the first time in this country either.

http://www.chroniclejournal.com/content ... randed-him

This thread if full of those age-old under the breath tones of racism against natives that I used to hear living in Thunder Bay.

We stole this land from the natives. (My family came to Canada in the 1970's from Europe but even I feel guilt) We have subjugated them to the point where they are the most vulnerable visable minority group in Canada - and they should be the richest considering every dollar that comes out of Canada's "natural resource" sector should be partially theirs.

We destroyed their culture and lives. They are a society that has had a few hundred years to adapt to something our societies have been doing for a thousand years. We brought them alcohol and greed. Yet non-native Canadians love to fault them for not being able to keep up or for having social troubles.

We owe them more. Respect for starters.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

susyq wrote:Let me just say this is not just about money.... All Canadians should sit up and take notice of what the Government is doing....this is about the enviroment & how Harper has made it easier for oil pipelines and mining in Canada to be able to get through the red tape and start destroying our beautiful land....his tactics disgust me...I sure did not vote for him or the the "Steven Harper Style" watch this video:
what a joke this government is to the world, letting Chief Spence + others starve because he is so arrogant he can't meet with them to discuss issues??? what has happened to our country?? Our Prime minister should be dealing with this....but NO Just ignore it maybe it will go away...Just saying.....

It do is all bout the money. Ms. Spence wants a cheque with no questions being asked on where that money is spent. Sounds fair right? Ms. Spence is far from starving, she pulled in a pretty penny last year all tax free of course. Maybe she can cook up that ice resurfacer.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

SurplusElect wrote:...and in Thunder Bay this week a native girl was abducted and raped by two white unknown males who were making racist comments during the rape - not the first.

If a white teenager was abducted and raped by two natives...would have been front page news by now.

Also in that city, the local PD's are dropping off natives outside of city limits in -25 weather and making them walk home. Not the first time in this country either.

This thread if full of those age-old under the breath tones of racism against natives that I used to hear living in Thunder Bay.

We stole this land from the natives. (My family came to Canada in the 1970's from Europe but even I feel guilt) We have subjugated them to the point where they are the most vulnerable visable minority group in Canada - and they should be the richest considering every dollar that comes out of Canada's "natural resource" sector should be partially theirs.

We destroyed their culture and lives. They are a society that has had a few hundred years to adapt to something our societies have been doing for a thousand years. We brought them alcohol and greed. Yet non-native Canadians love to fault them for not being able to keep up or for having social troubles.

We owe them and any other group nothing. This has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

susyq wrote:Let me just say this is not just about money.... All Canadians should sit up and take notice of what the Government is doing....this is about the enviroment & how Harper has made it easier for oil pipelines and mining in Canada to be able to get through the red tape and start destroying our beautiful land....his tactics disgust me...I sure did not vote for him or the the "Steven Harper Style" watch this video:

Great post !!
Bill C-38 was a travesty. I applaud anyone who wants to raise awareness on Harper's conniving ways.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I love it when i see something here i can agree with :cheerleader:you are so right we owe them so much .i agree its not about the money .its about self determination ,and there right to with as they see fit.they deserve the respect to have the leader of our nation to meet with theirs when asked .they should not have to go through all these theatrics.after all white culture has done to them how can you not feel shame .listen to them,instead of a 3 second sound bite on sun tv. they are not a bunch of 'greedy Indians ' they are "idle no more "and they will surprise you.
Last edited by kibbs on Jan 4th, 2013, 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peace be with you.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

SurplusElect wrote:...and in Thunder Bay this week a native girl was abducted and raped by two white unknown males who were making racist comments during the rape - not the first.

Nothing like beating a dead horse that still wants more cash to squander. More money is not going to help this cycle on how the white man did them wrong. Again this is not about the topic of the thread.

Return to “Canada”