Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

Veovis
Guru

Re: Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

Post by Veovis »

I would agree with you Kibbs that we are starting to get a increase in Natives with good educations that see the garbage for what it is better, and I hope some real change is effected. However the drop out rates compared to the rest of Canada are still much higher and education is the greatest asset anyone can have to change their lot in life.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

:backtotopic:
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I wonder what Chief Spence's education level is.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

grammafreddy wrote:I wonder what Chief Spence's education level is.

Why would it matter?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

grammafreddy wrote:I wonder what Chief Spence's education level is.

Libelle wrote:Why would it matter?

Why wouldn't it?
__________________________________________________________________________________________

kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

removed - Jennylives
Peace be with you.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

So if Ms.Spence's education level is at the university level or at the grade 12 level or if she did not finish high school, what does that have to do with all that money going astray?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

You mean other than the fact that she may not have a clue how to do any bookkeeping or budget-making? Maybe she only has an elementary school education?

She's only been chief a very short time so maybe she is still learning the financial ropes? And maybe she doesn't know how to learn the financial ropes.

I would have thought education would be rather important. Some chiefs are actually lawyers - did you know that?

kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

with all that money going astray

it hasn't gone astray ,its unaccounted .its like if you don't have your receipts for every thing you purchase and asuming you spent that money illegally.you are counting assumed imaginary beans .its common among the bands .i imagine most services are obtained within the community ,thus less formal accounting ,i think you'll see bands getting their numbers crunched tout suite now.
Peace be with you.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

grammafreddy wrote:You mean other than the fact that she may not have a clue how to do any bookkeeping or budget-making? Maybe she only has an elementary school education?

She's only been chief a very short time so maybe she is still learning the financial ropes? And maybe she doesn't know how to learn the financial ropes.

I would have thought education would be rather important. Some chiefs are actually lawyers - did you know that?

If that is the case then she should not have ran for the position of chief. If she did then she started off as an injustice to her community. Can I be a doctor, a lawyer? No, I can not as I do not have the knowledge to do so. Simple.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

Financial ropes? Learning from who pray tell? Learning the ropes does not get her off te hook for all the money that went to unknown sources. Next excuse as to where the money has gone....
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

kibbs wrote:
it hasn't gone astray ,its unaccounted .its like if you don't have your receipts for every thing you purchase and asuming you spent that money illegally.you are counting assumed imaginary beans .its common among the bands .i imagine most services are obtained within the community ,thus less formal accounting ,i think you'll see bands getting their numbers crunched tout suite now.

We are not talking about loosing receipts from Wally World or Canadian tire for a couple hundred, we are talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars, tax payers dollars. It's common amount bands not to account for tens of thousands of dollars? :ohmygod: I think I just puked in my mouth reading that treasure of a statement. At this rate I am going to need a bucket.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Psssstttt ... she wasn't the chief all that time the audit was for. She's only been chief a short time. And since she has been chief, the accounting for the band has improved. It's not 100% yet but it is better than it was before she was chief.

If one or more of the former chiefs or former co-managers had been dishonest, do you expect her to know where that money has gone? Her most honest answer may be, "I don't know".

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Libelle wrote:
We are not talking about loosing receipts from Wally World or Canadian tire for a couple hundred, we are talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars, tax payers dollars. It's common amount bands not to account for tens of thousands of dollars? :ohmygod: I think I just puked in my mouth reading that treasure of a statement. At this rate I am going to need a bucket.

Well, go get your bucket. I'll wait right here ...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada ... 71951.html

42 Manitoba reserves under fiscal scrutiny
By: Stephanie Levitz

OTTAWA -- Problems with money management on reserves stretches far beyond the bounds of the remote community of Attawapiskat. In Manitoba, 42 First Nations communities are under some kind of government oversight because of serious problems with how they account for their finances.

Nationwide, of the 615 bands across Canada, 157 are currently considered as having defaulted on their financial obligations, according to a list on the website of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada.

The issue is far bigger than paperwork, said Grand Chief Derek Nepinak of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs.

"Accounting and standards applied to First Nations communities are entirely political, arbitrary and manipulated to meet government objectives of containing and assimilating us while the vast wealth of our ancestral lands is exploited," Nepinak said in a statement.

Eighty reserves throughout Canada are working in tandem with Ottawa to put in place a plan to get out of the financial doghouse, 63 have enlisted the services of an outside agency and 14 of the most dire cases have had their finances taken over altogether.

A band is thrown into default if it meets certain criteria laid out by the federal government, which can include a belief on the part of the minister the health, safety or welfare of the community is at risk of being compromised.

Of the 157 bands listed, some have well-documented financial -- and, in some cases, criminal -- problems related to their money.

For others, the reasons they're on the list aren't immediately apparent.

But the books belonging to the remote community of Attawapiskat appear to be the only ones to have been thoroughly analyzed -- and publicized -- by the federal government.

When asked if any other band in Canada has ever been subjected to such financial scrutiny, a spokesman for Aboriginal Affairs Minister John Duncan wouldn't say.

"(Aboriginal Affairs) conducts audits on a regular basis to provide assurance that the funding provided to First Nation communities is spent for its intended purposes and in compliance with the terms and condition of all funding agreements signed with AANDC and Health Canada," Jan O'Driscoll said in an email.

"Given the extraordinary conditions and ongoing housing issues in Attawapiskat, the minister asked an independent auditor to examine how money has been spent and what oversight measures have been taken over the past five years."

It was housing that drew the attention of the federal government to Attawapiskat.

Chief Theresa Spence declared a state of emergency there last year over housing conditions on the reserve. Families were living in rundown shacks with no heat and the Red Cross was forced to fly in supplies.

That was despite the federal government having provided the reserve with an estimated $90 million since 2006.

The Attawapiskat audit released this week showed some of the funds were used to pay down debt, a practice of which the government has long been aware. Other money couldn't be accounted for because the required paperwork couldn't be found.

<snip>

-- The Canadian Press

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

grammafreddy wrote:Psssstttt ... she wasn't the chief all that time the audit was for. She's only been chief a short time.

She was deputy chief from July 2007 to September 2010 so saying she had no knowledge of where or how funds were allocated is BS. She would have sat in on council meetings and meetings having to do with forecasting budgets and expenditures.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Canada”