Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

Post by grammafreddy »

Am not too sure why you are attacking me, CV. You aren't usually this obnoxious. I am just passing along facts about the native history and culture and I sure didn't make up the traditions they live by now or in the past. I also did not write the Indian Act nor did I tell the government to break their Treaties with the natives. I didn't take their children away from them, I didn't give them white man's diseases, I didn't sterilize their women, rape or steal from them. I didn't burn their crops or destroy their food supplies and I didn't force them all onto reservations in order to steal the land they lived off. I also did not make them totally dependent upon the government for everything they needed to survive - and that's what is coming back to haunt the government and the people of Canada now. But don't attack me for that.

If you can't handle the facts of the history of Canada's native people, then just say so and move on. Carry on in your ignorance, if that's what you want to do. But don't attack me personally when you don't like what history wrote about the natives and the slimy government.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

grammafreddy wrote:Am not too sure why you are attacking me, CV. You aren't usually this obnoxious. I am just passing along facts about the native history and culture and I sure didn't make up the traditions they live by now or in the past. I also did not write the Indian Act nor did I tell the government to break their Treaties with the natives. I didn't take their children away from them, I didn't give them white man's diseases, I didn't sterilize their women, rape or steal from them. I didn't burn their crops or destroy their food supplies and I didn't force them all onto reservations in order to steal the land they lived off. I also did not make them totally dependent upon the government for everything they needed to survive -

Neither did any poster here, but we're all paying for it.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Let's try to stay away from personal attacks and keep this on topic please.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

grammafreddy wrote:Am not too sure why you are attacking me, CV. You aren't usually this obnoxious. I am just passing along facts about the native history and culture and I sure didn't make up the traditions they live by now or in the past. I also did not write the Indian Act nor did I tell the government to break their Treaties with the natives. I didn't take their children away from them, I didn't give them white man's diseases, I didn't sterilize their women, rape or steal from them. I didn't burn their crops or destroy their food supplies and I didn't force them all onto reservations in order to steal the land they lived off. I also did not make them totally dependent upon the government for everything they needed to survive -

zzontar wrote:Neither did any poster here, but we're all paying for it.

That's true - and we will continue to pay for it because it is written into the Indian Act and into our Constitution. The Royal Commission on Aboriginal People had some solutions but Harper hasn't done anything but sweep that under the rug.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

grammafreddy wrote:Am not too sure why you are attacking me, CV. You aren't usually this obnoxious. I am just passing along facts about the native history and culture and I sure didn't make up the traditions they live by now or in the past. I also did not write the Indian Act nor did I tell the government to break their Treaties with the natives. I didn't take their children away from them, I didn't give them white man's diseases, I didn't sterilize their women, rape or steal from them. I didn't burn their crops or destroy their food supplies and I didn't force them all onto reservations in order to steal the land they lived off. I also did not make them totally dependent upon the government for everything they needed to survive - and that's what is coming back to haunt the government and the people of Canada now. But don't attack me for that.

If you can't handle the facts of the history of Canada's native people, then just say so and move on. Carry on in your ignorance, if that's what you want to do. But don't attack me personally when you don't like what history wrote about the natives and the slimy government.

I am the one trying to put an end to all the mistakes made, and being made, and see every Canadian be treated equally. It is you who clearly want the present issues to continue by living in the past and repeating the errors over and over again.
When a native states:
“There's no question that the native people of yesterday were brutalized, hunted, tortured, and humiliated for decades,” “But those days are long over. It defies logic to have the current population pay for the tragedies committed by people that came so long before them.”
you call him ignorant , unknowing and compare him to a child. You say he has no right to say what he thinks.
This is the 21rst century and it is time to live in it and put the past behind us. ALL Canadians should be equal with no special rights or privileges given to or taken based on things like race or religion.
Is it your agenda to see our native population continue to be treated differently by living in the past and re-opening old wounds with every post you make? Why do you want to keep hurting these people and not see them get the equality every Canadian deserves?
Let's force the government to tear up the Indian Act. Give the natives their reserve lands as free hold and welcome them as free and equal Canadians with all the same rights and responsibilities as all other Canadians?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

grammafreddy wrote:
That's true - and we will continue to pay for it because it is written into the Indian Act and into our Constitution. The Royal Commission on Aboriginal People had some solutions but Harper hasn't done anything but sweep that under the rug.

Perhaps that part of the constitution is unconstitutional. Other laws later deemed unconstitutional have been changed. I think a deal where someone's ancestors have to support someone else's ancestors is about as wrong and outdated as trading land for whiskey.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

I agree cv, why are we Keeping them? Why are they being held away from the rest of us in tiny communities? They should not only be encouraged to move on and make personal gains but want to as well, the debt has been paid by those not responsible for long enough I think and I hope our government sees that soon. We can pay into education to get them what they need to find trades and professions and then they can have all they want just like the rest of Canada.
Last edited by Roadster on Feb 4th, 2013, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

grammafreddy wrote:I didn't take their children away from them, I didn't give them white man's diseases, I didn't sterilize their women, rape or steal from them. I didn't burn their crops or destroy their food supplies and I didn't force them all onto reservations in order to steal the land they lived off. I also did not make them totally dependent upon the government for everything they needed to survive -

zzontar wrote:Neither did any poster here, but we're all paying for it.

We are all paying for it cv.
I too pay for it.
I am a tax paying First Nations person that lives off reserve and by choice do not exploit my status card to any abusive level.
I'm not unlike many First Nations living off reserve.. Many pay the exact same taxes and reap no more benefits to being a member of anything beyond the human race...to which we all belong.

I also pay from having been raised by a broken mother.
I pay by having to walk about knowing there are those of you that would roll out the tanks and kill me...just for being First Nations.
I pay by having to explain myself to other narrow minds when introduced as a First Nations person.
Try to imagine having a cold one at the packinghouse and having some scmuck challenge you JUST because you're a different race. Not because you have done anything to instigate that confrontation. Because you're an Native.

You tend to grow some pretty thick skin...in your younger years...that you learn later in life really is not a shield, but a hindrance that has held you back in ways you never saw growing up.

You really should tone down your discontent as much as you can, because as it stands you appear to have little to no respect for a race to which you know very little and very few.

I understand, as most First Nations people do, the discontent most Canadians...and by most I mean most of ALL races within this great land...have toward the system that has done nothing more than pulverize itself over the course of time.
Without doubt it needs to be changed.
Until all parties involved can come to the table with open hearts and open minds, nothing will change.
Nothing.
So you see, with all your misdirected loathing, you're doing nothing to work toward ending this troubled relationship and more toward sustaining the very system you claim to want to see brought to an end.

You're shooting yourself in the foot by being so closed.

Drink some tea.
Mellow out.
Last edited by Graham Adder on Feb 4th, 2013, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Idle no more made it in rolling stone cool
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/ne ... t-20130204
Peace be with you.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Graham Adder wrote:You really should tone down your discontent as much as you can, because as it stands you appear to have little to no respect for a race to which you know very little and very few.

Other people also have a heritage to which you probably don't know any more of, and ancestors who experienced hardships and wars, many who had to leave their country because of war and worked their fingers to the bone here to contribute to and build a country that is considered one of the best in the world because of their work. Respect goes both ways.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Respect goes both ways.

I think some respect is shown by harper cautiously opening talks .I think Idle No More is showing respect by only using peaceful means of protest.Posters who show nothing but disrespect for first nations ,who show no sympathy or take no responsibility as a Canadian to make amends for past injustices even after steve says sorry,get 0 respect from me.People who want to take away from same people and think that Every thing can be solved by them movin to town and gettin a job ,i care little for yours .To gain the respect of a throwback with Victorian concepts would require a lowering of my dignity,
Peace be with you.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Holy crap! Respect is not for the native people alone because they are native, sympathy isn't for the native people alone because they are native either, respect and sympathy are for those who need it deserve it, all people, it isn't a native thing, I respect my mom and dad for bringing me up right, I respect my neighbor cos he seems to have a good job he goes to every day, keeps his yard nice and clean and even well decorated to show off our neighborhood like the rest around here. I respect all those who do for themselves, take care of their family well, are respectful of others and put into society as we are all expected to. I respect those who draw that kind of attention to themselves for a job well done Beit something they have accomplished or just being a good person and I can honestly say I know a few non natives who could do just a little to gain respect. I also respect any native person who does a little for himself. Respect isn't about who our ancestors were,,, it's about who we are, how we handle ourselves, what we have done to gain respect. Sympathy is for those who can't do for themselves, are sick, unable, why do a few here think the words respect and sympathy belong in the same sentence as the word native? Is this new? if respect was given on our ancestor's actions alone we'd all have to do nothing for it. It would be a given cos we all had ancestors who did something,,, fought some kind of war,,, I don't care where you came from or who you are, you had people fight somewhere to bring your family to this point you are at now and now you have to gain it yourself. It's not a given and if it was then we should all be in the position the natives are in. Which brings me to my equality for all topic.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
albertabound
Board Meister

Post by albertabound »

Respect is earned not because you are of a certain pesuasion. :sunshine: :bethecoffee:
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Verb
respect (third-person singular simple present respects, present participle respecting, simple past and past participle respected)
to have respect for.
She is an intellectual giant, and I respect her greatly.
to have regard for something, to observe a custom, practice, rule or right
I respect your right to hold this belief although I think it is nonsense.
to abide by an agreement.
They failed to respect the treaty they had signed, and invaded.
(transitive, dated except in "respecting") To relate to; to be concerned with.
Glandulation respects the secretory vessels, which are either glandules, follicles, or utricles. — J. Lee.

to which form of respect do you feel you have been denied ?
Peace be with you.
albertabound
Board Meister

Post by albertabound »

I have not been denied any respect you are the one crying, earn it. :trippyquoter:

Return to “Canada”