Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

Post by zookeeper »

Roadster wrote: If the government helped us all (where we need it) to feed all children and promote a healthy life style we would be far better off and so would the natives. They just need to act as good parents and show their kids what it's like to self support and make a good living. Be educated and happy.

Me too zzontar,,, we are not native so saying they should pull up their socks and get along with society is like saying they are Indian,,, it's not that at all, we would like to see all as takers and givers of society, but will it happen? I hope some day.

The government does "help" all, through the welfare system, income based programs and government funded initiatives for all Canadians to promote health, education and active lifestyles. I don't believe it is the Indians who take and take that are offended by comments that appear racist, but rather the ones who are tired of being painted with the Spence-hued colours. Equality will only come when for every Indian that is hard working, a good parent, well educated and NOT using or abusing the system (as per Sowan's letter) there is a Canadian citizen who believes that it is happening. When you can look up long enough to take your eyes off of the drunken Indian in the ditch long enough to meet eye to eye with one that isn't, one that has risen above and beyond the common (and yes racist) misconceptions yet is faced still with the struggles of age old past issues. We keep on asking for them to move on, get over it, yet sadly when they do, or attempt to, it is the non-native Canadian citizen that can not.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Some people confuse a fight for rights and liberties and a fight over who gets a bigger piece of financial pie.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Captain Awesome wrote:Some people confuse a fight for rights and liberties and a fight over who gets a bigger piece of financial pie.

And some people just expect the right to a bigger piece of the financial pie.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Dear Supporter,

Are you tired of governments trying to address problems on aboriginal reserves by throwing more and more tax dollars at the situation?

After decades of that approach, haven’t we learned it doesn’t work?

If Canadians are serious about ending poverty on aboriginal reserves, it’s time for a new approach. At a recent news conference the CTF laid out five ideas for change:
1.. Instead of continuing to fund people to stay in high unemployment reserves in the middle of nowhere, aim assistance at people – especially young people – to help them transition to where there are jobs and opportunities.
2.. Chiefs can “hunger strike” if they choose but that does not exempt them from accountability. Audits are an appropriate response to millions in unaccounted funds.
3.. Pilot projects should be initiated whereby reserve funding flows to the citizens. Chiefs and councillors can then tax their citizens in order to fund services.
4.. Transfer more control of existing reserve land to the bands. And let the people, not the band own their own homes.
5.. Stop creating more programs and laws that single aboriginal people out – treat all Canadians the same.
Sign our petition right now to encourage the Prime Minister to take real action (and not just cut larger cheques) to end aboriginal poverty on reserves. You can sign it online here: http://taxpayer.com/federal/aboriginal-policy-reform

Secondly, email your local Member of Parliament and tell them to try one (or all) of the suggestions above.

Find your MP’s email address: http://www.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/Compilat ... x?Menu=HOC

Ottawa is making some good strides in some of these areas. It’s time to keep pushing for more positive changes. Canada can no longer continue to ignore these problems.

Thank you for all you do!
- Colin, Troy, Shannon and the rest of the CTF team.

P.S. Our press conference presenting these five ideas for reform earned significant news coverage across the country. Here's a couple highlights:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/ ... 79291.html
http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/01/15/taxp ... poverty-2/

P.P.S. Renting rooms for press conferences, researching ideas and pushing important issues like this one happen because of donations from our supporters. Can you chip in $5 to help pay for advocacy work? Donate here - https://taxpayer.com/donate

follow on Twitter | friend on Facebook | forward to a friend
Copyright © 2013 Canadian Taxpayers Federation, All rights reserved.

You are receiving this Issues and Action Update because you have either signed a CTF petition, signed-up through our home page or given a donation. If you do not wish to receive further Action Updates please click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of this message. Otherwise please add [email protected] to your address book. Our privacy policy can be viewed at http://taxpayer.com/about/privacy-statement. The Canadian Taxpayers Federation is Canada’s leading non-partisan citizens advocacy group dedicated to lower taxes, less waste and accountable government.

Unsubscribe [email protected] from this list.

Our mailing address is:

Canadian Taxpayers Federation
265-438 Victoria Ave E
Regina, SK S4N 0N7
Canada

Add us to your address book

unsubscribe from this list | update subscription preferences | view email in browser

Did you get this email forwarded to you from a friend? Start getting these emails directly in your inbox. Sign-up for free at: www.taxpayer.com/join
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

zookeeper

The government does "help" all, through the welfare system, income based programs and government funded initiatives for all Canadians to promote health, education and active lifestyles. I don't believe it is the Indians who take and take that are offended by comments that appear racist, but rather the ones who are tired of being painted with the Spence-hued colours. Equality will only come when for every Indian that is hard working, a good parent, well educated and NOT using or abusing the system (as per Sowan's letter) there is a Canadian citizen who believes that it is happening. When you can look up long enough to take your eyes off of the drunken Indian in the ditch long enough to meet eye to eye with one that isn't, one that has risen above and beyond the common (and yes racist) misconceptions yet is faced still with the struggles of age old past issues. We keep on asking for them to move on, get over it, yet sadly when they do, or attempt to, it is the non-native Canadian citizen that can not.

And that's what I mean,,, no special payments to people not putting into the system themselves,,, help through welfare and EI as needed, less money leaving the country, help for medical coverage for all as an equal, this don't mean free but if we all had an equal share in health care there would be money left over believe it or not. It's the monthly handouts to certain groups that keep us where we are and that includes extra help being given to people coming into this country who have never paid a dime in.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Roadster wrote:And that's what I mean,,, no special payments to people not putting into the system themselves,,, help through welfare and EI as needed, less money leaving the country, help for medical coverage for all as an equal, this don't mean free but if we all had an equal share in health care there would be money left over believe it or not. It's the monthly handouts to certain groups that keep us where we are and that includes extra help being given to people coming into this country who have never paid a dime in.

People who are habitual welfare users put in to the system themselves? Are you suggesting a universal, one size fits all Canadian welfare system? Have you considered that if we all stood together (natives and non natives) to ensure that our tax dollar be used wisely, and actually go to the people who really need it might be a better idea than playing musical welfare chair? All levels of government should be held accountable to their people and this is where we need to unite not those who suffer in poverty but those who are actually taking a stand to do something about it.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

zookeeper wrote:
People who are habitual welfare users put in to the system themselves? Are you suggesting a universal, one size fits all Canadian welfare system? Have you considered that if we all stood together (natives and non natives) to ensure that our tax dollar be used wisely, and actually go to the people who really need it might be a better idea than playing musical welfare chair? All levels of government should be held accountable to their people and this is where we need to unite not those who suffer in poverty but those who are actually taking a stand to do something about it.

I am thinking you didnt read into my comment deeply enough or I didn't explain well enough,,, As needed,,, for all when needed. All Canadians who put into it get a benefit where needed so no Canadian goes hungry, no money to certain groups as a living and no money leaving our country till we sort out our own people as one so everyone has a fair share as needed, medical, shelter and food, as needed. We should all pay into it and it shouldn't be a problem to take from it as we need. Operative word being Need.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Roadster wrote: We should all pay into it and it shouldn't be a problem to take from it as we need. Operative word being Need.

Who is not paying in to it?
Is this not how all this started? The very people who "need" it are not getting it.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

zookeeper wrote:Who is not paying in to it?
Is this not how all this started? The very people who "need" it are not getting it.

Both someone living on and off reserve receive assistance if they're unemployed, but as the assistance comes from tax dollars, if both parties became employed, the one living on-reserve wouldn't have to pay into it.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

zookeeper wrote:
Who is not paying in to it?

Likely the ones not paying into it are those on reserve land,,, are they not getting it? In some cases they are probably not if their chief isn't doling it out properly, do they Need it? Not if they were working like everyone is supposed to. And if that is because there is limited work on the reserve then they need to move where there is work like you or I would if Kelowna wasn't opening a door to us for an income. If I got up right now and quit my job to move in with my mom and dad or even near them I probably wouldn't find the work I have right now, or it might take a while, should the government pay me for that or should I stay right here where there is work for me and visit my mom and dad? Sometimes you have to leave the crib to make it on your own, I did at 17 because my parents promised us there would be no freeloading after school. Yet if I lost my work here chances are good that they would give me a bed and some time to get on my feet, with or without welfare helping out, but then it would be expected of me to get something happening, would they like to see me sitting on welfare? They would not be impressed if that was my new lifestyle change. My parents brought us all up to support ourselves and be proud of who we are and what we accomplish. This needs to happen on reserves as well, not just a dwelling on old history and what comes in because of that history,,, seriously what if it did stop right now? No one would be ready? It's time it stopped and they should be getting ready for that, bringing their young up knowing work is a good thing. Look at all the disabled people who manage to work,,, lots against them and they can do it. These reserve people are Not disabled, they are sheltered.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

and that's all you get out of this?

Thats all i get that is relative to native leaders meeting with steve. Ya .this cat is cool hes doing his own thing .Life is good for him.But i also see him as a self loathing native.The way they pull out the drums and feathers may be a yuppie draw but i can see how it would look cheesy and embarrassing to a young man trying to work and get ahead with non natives.Hes an apple red on the outside white on the inside.By only listening to the main stream news 'hes just as ignorant as some posters here.And no disagreeing with one mans opinion on his lost culture does not make me racist'. Nice tats, seems he identifies with biker party culture now.Check out his face book page .Hes an assimilation success story.But has enough spirit left to oppose the changes to environment and treaty laws.
Peace be with you.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

zzontar wrote:Both someone living on and off reserve receive assistance if they're unemployed, but as the assistance comes from tax dollars, if both parties became employed, the one living on-reserve wouldn't have to pay into it.

Not always the case, just as not all non native unemployed people qualify for welfare. Also, for those who believe in moving people around from reserve to reserve, you must be a band member of the reserve you live on to not have to pay tax. As for tax from employment if you work on reserve, regardless of where you live, you do not pay tax. Not exactly beneficial on poor, poorly run desolate reserves that do not (can not, will not) offer their people jobs, progress or hope, and offensive to those who have risen above the misconceptions and are solid, taxpaying Canadian citizens. Again it is those misconceptions that all Indians are well taken care of (by the government or their own people, which takes us back to the blame game again and offers no solutions to anyone), that they all drive fancy cars, all get free educations, all get a monthly cheque and free everything that is preventing progress towards having all Canadians equal.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Sorry Roadster, sentences starting with "likely" sound like an uninformed guess. I have agreed with you many times, especially that all able bodied people (regardless of colour or circumstance) should work hard and not be held back by excuses, the past or current circumstance. I also agree that something must be done but not by pitting native against non native, government against government, rich against poor. I believe that if we expect others to educate themselves, move forward and carry as much of the load themselves that we should too. We can argue where we see fit for our taxes to go, it is my opinion from reading many posts throughout this forum that we will not always agree and that most have a genuine cause and goal that comes from either experience or their life passion. My genuine compassion is for those who can not, for whatever their reason is not for me to judge, help themselves and for those who go above and beyond what is expected of them to better their lives and receive no credit.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

For as long as we have 600 Nations with 600 chiefs who have betweeen 4000 and 7200 band councillors there will never be a chance in a lifetime that monies start to go to help those who live in the past change and move forward into a future where we are all Canadians. It is in the Chief's best interest to keep up the spin that the government should pay because they are able to drive Cadillac Esplanades and pay lawyers and focus group people to keep up with the old ways even though those old ways will do nothing to educate toward building a healthy nation. Write Harper tell him to rewrite legislation that enables aboriginals elected officials (and not 600 of them) perhaps 5 would suffice the acutual population of reserves (can't count those who live off reserve because they are suppose to pay tax like the rest of us. What we save with rewritten legislation will help your grandparent not live in pain for 36 months before they go on a list for hip surgery and heven forbid OAP and CPP may actually be around long enough that every one who paid in benefits.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

zookeeper wrote:Sorry Roadster, sentences starting with "likely" sound like an uninformed guess. I have agreed with you many times, especially that all able bodied people (regardless of colour or circumstance) should work hard and not be held back by excuses, the past or current circumstance. I also agree that something must be done but not by pitting native against non native, government against government, rich against poor. I believe that if we expect others to educate themselves, move forward and carry as much of the load themselves that we should too. We can argue where we see fit for our taxes to go, it is my opinion from reading many posts throughout this forum that we will not always agree and that most have a genuine cause and goal that comes from either experience or their life passion. My genuine compassion is for those who can not, for whatever their reason is not for me to judge, help themselves and for those who go above and beyond what is expected of them to better their lives and receive no credit.

Likely by me means it's quite possible but I can be corrected if someone knows better,, I am not trying to BS anyone but it's how I understand the situation, shame on anyone who doesn't take the opportunity to investigate what we are saying a little further for themselves.

And pit the non natives against the natives? Who is doing that? The way I see it they have taken this opportunity to block off people trying to get to work, to an emergency of even to hit the store to put groceries on their table. Costing those people money and time for what??? We don't really know because it's a free for all attack for many wants,,, even they themselves don't seem to know what it is all about anymore.

Who would be pitting the two sides against each other? I want to see them blend in, become one with the rest. Fend for themselves and their kids as we all do and are supposed to do.

If anyone is making this a left and right, us and them situation it would be them by attacking the general public as seen in that video where they hit some woman's truck,,, threatening they will crash the economy on us,,, yes us,,, the ones who work to keep it going. Did you see this thread before the Idle no more thing? Not like they are being discussed much till they fire up a new protest and start blocking the general public off from doing the day to day things we need to do. Blocking is not the way, even huge unions don't go after public access roads and block them off. They don't even threaten someone will die due to starvation hoping to gain guilt by pressure, mess with the boarders,,, someone gonna get hurt and that's not how to ask for something, the key to this whole thing would be to look at what money has come, where it went and try to recover it.

Like I have said many times I was never all about cutting them off just making sure it goes where it should but now,,, ya maybe it's time to cut it short to short time help for education and support in moving to where work is available. And one chief to manage that with a few people under him/her in each province making sure it happens,,, too many chiefs,,,

Return to “Canada”