Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

waterwings
Übergod

Re: Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

Post by waterwings »

grammafreddy wrote:Yeah, you do - because the government of that day signed treaties with those people that said you were going to. Kinda like Obama and the debt he is incurring on several generations of future Americans and the debt the Canadian government is saddling our descendents with now.

OH yeah......in the day that the government signed treaties they were still hangling people who were CRIMINALS and I think it was shortly after that that Ireland had the potato famine where many individuals came to North America and DIED on the way and lets see Lords and Ladies made there way across the ocean to start a new life and they aren't around any more and we don't have work houses, or slaves.....and by the way ships used SAILS and guns had gun powder and there wasn't any tv or radio or telephone or irons heck there wasn't even any central heating and those with diabetes died and so did most that got infections from scrapes on their legs or by being scalped because some person thought that was the way to treat others.

Give me a break.....it worked both ways.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

If almost every Canadian recieved $500 a month, man, woman and up to three children per family, indian and other and were allowed to work as they will, min wage or other and taxes were paid fairly by all on the dollar they made including the work and the $500 a month for anyone 19 or over,,, I bet there would be no welfare office, money saved, no one is without including their right to better themselves with work as they choose, waitress or doctor. All businesses paid their fair share in taxes like each man and woman. Indian or white we would all have our bare nesseseties covered and we would be allowed to make what we all want of ourselves.

Now I aint talkin about those coming here from other countries for the money, they gotta spend some time here first with an address and pay into this system with income taxes for say,,, ten years first then they can recieve,,, meaning they would be coming here because there is work for them. Seems people from other countries make more free money then then rest of us who paid into our countries funds all our lives and thats not right either. There is just too much money being doled out to those who dont pay in and this system would change that and ensure there would be no one with a reason to slam the government for Not giving.

Time we start a "money for all, equally" protest. All kids are allowed in all schools so really there isnt a problem if it is used as offered.

Also if everyones basic medical was covered,,, more money saved, seriously.
I start my hunger strike tonight! Right after I finish this beer! I need to go on a bit of a diet too, dont we alll??? :dyinglaughing:
Last edited by Roadster on Jan 11th, 2013, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

Who or what company was responsible for the diesel fuel spill under the reserves brand new school, the one deemed unsafe to occupy?

I have no idea.....but crap like that happens all over the world....not just to natives.....give me a break. Crap happens in this big old world....accidents happen....and stuff that is going on right now should NOT happen....not at the expense of the rest of the country. IF First Nations want to be their own country/government...then get at it. You know...it is really sad...because never in my life have I felt that way.
But I keep hearing how wonderful Canada is....best place in the world. I, personally, do not believe that, but then I did believe that First Nations were a part of this country....but guess not. If they were, they would live under the same rules and laws that we have to. Simple as that.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

The reason I ask who was responsible is because that company should have been held responsible for the clean up and cost of damages. Did this ever take place? If it did and the community receieved money for damages to the school where did that money go. The answer to this could solve the lack of a proper school debate.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

It's gone way past the lady who was on a "hunger strike"....it is now involving all of Canada...and there will be major issues because of it. If First Nations wants the respect from the rest of Canada, then IMO they need to live like the rest of us....pay the dues we all have to pay.
I would suggest abolish all reservations, give each man woman and child an acre of land (more than a lot of the rest of us have) and they could join the general public, working, paying taxes and making this country strong instead of dividing it.
Roadster....I agree with your last post....not that it would ever happen! :ohmygod:
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

by juz516

It's gone way past the lady who was on a "hunger strike"....it is now involving all of Canada...and there will be major issues because of it. If First Nations wants the respect from the rest of Canada, then IMO they need to live like the rest of us....pay the dues we all have to pay.

This happens every time, one jumps at the governement, it seems they all do. Funny she was fighting for Her community and suddenly its a full blown "We all want in on this one" thing.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

http://www.fntc.ca/index.php?option=com ... 5&Itemid=9[/quote]

Great pics and bios for all those educated people.

Where does it say who is taxed and how much?
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

LoneWolf_53

All things considered, that $40k should go a lot further for a native, than the same amount for a non native, who is obligated to pay taxes, and other things that we aren't exempt from.

A retired senior without fancy pensions, relying only on CPP and Supplement, has to get by on around $1,500 a month, much of which has to go toward housing.

You must also consider no rent, I do not know but do they or the band pay utilities. Man if I was given 40K a year and had no overhead it would be just great!!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Ken7 wrote:You must also consider no rent, I do not know but do they or the band pay utilities. Man if I was given 40K a year and had no overhead it would be just great!!

Exactly, paying for a roof over their heads is most people's single biggest expense. 40K without that to worry about, and no taxes to pay is practically as good as 100K to anyone else.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

grammafreddy wrote:
Lots of non-natives living in the north get a "northern living allowance" to cover their increased costs of living there (and to encourage them to live in the north). They also get to claim "Northern Living Deductions" (form T2222) on their income tax. There are two northern residents deductions:
 a residency deduction for having lived in a prescribed zone;
and
 a deduction for travel benefits you received from employment
in a prescribed zone that was included in your income.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t2222/t2222-12e.pdf

The difference being that you actually have to have a job and pay income tax to get any of your own money back from the Government. They want to encourage people to not just live, but work in the north. Little bit of a difference.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

grammafreddy wrote:The audit went back to 2005. And just because she was a deputy chief since 2007 until Aug 2010, it doesn't mean she hung onto the receipts, ordered supplies, wrote cheques or had anything to do with the band's bookkeeping.

I know its a novel idea and not nearly as marketable as the sensationalizing the media is getting from slamming Spence, but maybe somebody could have tried contacting the former chiefs, former councillors and former co-managers as well as the IMAC people responsible for that funding throughout the whole audit period and asked them those same questions?

So she's been deputy chief or chief since 2007 and shouldn't be to blame, but Harper, who has been Prime Minister since 2006 is?
Do you honestly think she has been responsible and is competent enough to manage millions and millions of band revenue?
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

Thank you for the links GF, but it did not answer my question on who is responsible for the spill, and if the community was compensated for damages.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

If they want to be "Idle no more", perhaps they should all go get a job.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

"LoneWolf_53"

Exactly, paying for a roof over their heads is most people's single biggest expense. 40K without that to worry about, and no taxes to pay is practically as good as 100K to anyone else.

The average taxpaying grunt pays over 55% taxes. Even if you make 100K a year, you now have less then 50 K.

Rent or own a home, insurance, upkeep utilities, ect. You don't have 30K to spend a year.

Return to “Canada”