Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

Post by kibbs »

I wanted to share the words of Dan George that were written on our centennial and his vision for first nations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Mum3JkOdo
Peace be with you.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Graham Adder wrote:I'm not pointing fingers at who I am referring to specifically, but I can tell you this:
When someone wants an entire race to be eradicated via tanks, I think that might be a racist.

Nobody said eradicate, the term was conquer. There's a huge difference professor. Sensationalism.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

kibbs wrote:I wanted to share the words of Dan George that were written on our centennial and his vision for first nations.

Kibbs your link did not work, the video is not allowed for viewing

Meanwhile,,, check out the video in the side list when clicking on your link "the reserves, the truth" it talks about Alberta reserves,,, Canada's third world. What a shame. They sit and Wait for it to get better. One woman says she tells her husband it has nothing, he tells her hold out, they will make it. Some women woulda left their husband long ago for a better life. I don't know why she didn't. She knows there is more out there. Some say they have no idea what's past their reserve. Thanks for the link Kibbs, even tho it didn't work.
Also a video in the same list about a tour of the housing with Spence and a doctor. Check out all the garbage behind the housings,,, they dump their waste in the ditch... What? They can't learn how to dig a sewage system for themselves? They wait,,, for everything. Why?? I hate to say it but they say it's their land and they are dumping right in front of their own doors. Even an outhouse if you couldn't do the sewage system would be better,,, we white man did that many years ago. In fact on my grandfathers farm in Alberta, we used an outhouse... Not a bucket inside and dump it meters from the door.
Of course we never did get a tour of Spence's house... Disappointed!
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Kibbs your link did not work, the video is not allowed for viewing

Sorry works on my end .Too bad i think you would like it .It really comes close to middle ground way of thinking.He wanted the same as you but using a different method,try again
Peace be with you.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

j watson wrote:Whatever......roll out the tanks, conquer the natives like we should have in the first place. Got sympathy? I don't, because of arrogant Indians, like some posting here.

I once met a man who said " we should have killed them all when we had the chance ". Is that you ?
What do you mean by conquer ? Put them in reserves ? Put them in residential schools ? Put them in jail ? Throw them in the city and assimilate. Wouldn't that eradicate their race like Graham suggested, albeit slowly ?
Why so much anger ?
If you are worried about your taxes ( it's not like you single handedly pay for it all ) I would love to hear what you have to say about Harper and company.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Ok tried it again,,, it says not made available on mobile,,, which I am on my iPad right now... Will check it later on my PC.
Anyway I am sure I I'll like it. I liked him years ago and I am sure he has good words even his own people should live by on that video.
What gets me is these people showing how bad it is in places like Atapiskawat and yet much of it is their own fault.
What's wrong with an outhouse if you had no toilet? I see a TV,,, seems they have some kind of television transmission there and the TVs, so what about needs over luxuries?
I am not saying they shouldn't have tv but don't you take care of where you gotta poop before you sit down to watch a movie?
If someone gave me a small hunk of land and that was all I had my first thing would be a place to poop and a tent. Then my blankets and a bed of some sort,,, then we have time for the fun to begin.
Waiting on us to build things is like saying "we will live like animals till you fix it. Even if it was too cold for an outhouse at night and in winter months,,, a bucket in the house and dump it into an outhouse daily. Contain it but they have a river of that stuff flowing right past all the houses. So you see the kid with rashes on his face... Why?
Why are there men there and yet they are living in a third world situation? Are they that unable? Wow, just wow. I am kinda sorry you sent that link and I found that video on the side. Wasn't expecting it to look that bad. I really expected it to be a complaint that they had to use outhouses,,, but None,,, not even one shown, just a dumping pit for waste right in front of the homes. Yikes!
There is No reason for that! That video is showing they won't even try. Yet there is money missing or un documented for and in the tens of thousands in some cases as shown which would build in the least a couple outhouses if they had paid a few of their own men to dig several around the property and maintain them. Sorry but that makes me kinda angry.
I remember one old farm I visited when I was a kid where they had no plumbing either and a closet kinda room under a stairs was made into a bathroom, a bucket, a stand that held water for hands and the bucket was dumped after a few uses in the outhouse,,, oh how nice it was to sit on a wooden thing on a bucket in their little bathroom in the warmth of the house they had. Even tho the room stank a bit once the bucket was used a couple times. On our farm there was just an outhouse, out in the Alberta cold... You peed ice cubes but it was contained away from the house and maintained and new ones were built as the old ones filled and were covered over.
Now again I ain't saying they should have to pee outside,,, we sent money,,, they could use that to hire their own men to create a proper sewage system even if they had to hire One knowledgable person to teach them and show them how to maintain it and then he leaves and they keep hiring their own people to keep it running. Remember, there is a lot of money somewhere as was stated... Dunno if it's true or not but if it is then this is bogus.
That's why this situation needs to be dealt with by the government to ensure they are doing their best to work their men and women on their land and even pay them and maintain this sort of stuff. Their suffering might be just because money is missing, maybe being used for activities off the reserve, doled out in bigger chunks to the leaders and their office people for what ever reasons and my thinking might be keep the noisier ones from complaining about their situation so some of the jobs as stated have no real purpose or commitment. If so then imagine if they all took up math and could know what wasn't being given to them,,, we would hear more from them people themselves or the upper officials would have to share more of the cash flow. Education is a good thing for all of them, it has to be encouraged just for this reason alone even if they wouldn't use it to work.
Are we doing this? Or are they being taken?
If Spence is being paid to be chief,,, can't remember what the dollar was for that but I believe it was better then a school principal is paid in Kelowna,,, and possibly even more then our mayor,,, also word was she was making 8 grand a month to run a day care,,, of how many kids??? So if she just headed that day care as a volunteer for her community since she might be getting paid well already as a chief and that money went to pay a few to maintain even outhouses and something else,,, wow could things look better. Let's say (it's all tax free, right?) 4 men were paid 2 grand each month to maintain the grounds, holy Hanna that place could already be looking up... There is four families with a dad making his own money. They have a clean waste system of some kind. Dad could by the kids a bunch of cool things for Christmas after one year with his 2 grand a month tax free... We are soooooo not the problem in Atapiskawat,,, that video is proof if it's real.
So let's say a guy don't want to leave his land,,, what's wrong with him leaving for a year or two to learn waste management and coming back to help his own people? Education for them is free right? Depending on the reserve maybe? So let's get that money up front and make sure it's being shared for that when a guy says he would if he could... Why not Make sure they are getting something that lasts a life time and brings him and his family happiness,,, kill the need for booze and drug over dose. Give them something in their fence lines if they won't leave those lines. Let them work for themselves on the bucks we send and accomplish something... The chiefs shouldn't handle this money, a proper program should.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Why is it so different to drive through a reserve as it is to drive through an Amish community? Both groups have the choice to leave their communities but usually don't. One group complains if they have no electricity, the other doesn't want it. One group talks about how they want to live their traditional life, the other just does it. One group gets extra help from the government and doesn't have to pay taxes, the other gets no extra income from the government and pays taxes. Before the excuses come up, look at the yards in both examples, nothing short of being handicapped should prevent anyone from being able to pick up their own garbage and keep things tidy, the Amish even mow their huge lawns without a power mower. If the natives want their standard of living raised they will actually have to put in an effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6abZ0LFT5CQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzGDVFjnOjs
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

I brought up the Amish before too, man they are an organized group, they come to our system for medical issues and that's nearly it, or to sell us their wonderful veggies and breads... If I am right about all of them they don't even use TVs, they work for themselves. The ones I saw didnt, I know cos we helped fight the odd barn fire for them and they had no technical things on the land, none but they were happy
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

[Qoute}
If you are worried about your taxes ( it's not like you single handedly pay for it all ) I would love to hear what you have to say about Harper and company.[/quote]

Don't you think the issues started long before this govt.? This has been happening through many admins of various parties for a long time. Singling out one leader makes no sense to me anyway. There are many at fault IMHO.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

wolfen_one wrote:
Don't you think the issues started long before this govt.? This has been happening through many admins of various parties for a long time. Singling out one leader makes no sense to me anyway. There are many at fault IMHO.

I was talking in general. Not this case in particular. Geezzz.... You watch the news don't you ? What is your leader doing ? If you can find him that is. Enjoy the 2 Omnibus Bill ? How about your provincial government ? Municipal ... you get my meaning now ?
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

YEP! But you were talking about taxes.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

wolfen_one wrote:YEP! But you were talking about taxes.

What I meant is the way they are spending your tax dollars ?
Orange juice anyone ? Jets ? What's happening with that ? Senators ( obsolete ) .. their pensions ... that kind of thing ...
Omnibus bills affect us all in the long run... that is why Harper has them in the first place ...
You know that legislation 15% foreign labour discount with a guaranteed 10 days fast track delivery ? ... that one affects B.C. right now ..
albertabound
Board Meister

Post by albertabound »

Smoke you should move on the reserve since you complain so much, maybe you can help smarten them up, you know so much. :nyah: :nyah:
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

I know absolutely nothing. Just like you. But I'm willing to learn. You ?
I know you love Harper. So sorry about my comments.
albertabound
Board Meister

Post by albertabound »

I do not love harper,but he has been the best pm we have had in decades, you do not know much ,you think you do. :bethecoffee: :trippyquoter:

Return to “Canada”