Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

Post by grammafreddy »

You need to fix your quote, Wolfen.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

Babbitman wrote:"Idle no more"? Good. Its about time. Go get a job.

Considering the negative stereotypes sometimes applied to some First Nations people, could they have picked a worse name for their "cause"? :dyinglaughing:
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

"grammafreddy"
That might work out better for them because under the Indian Act and some of the treaties, they don't have those.

GF- I think we have been over those points time and time again.
Unless I've misread your posts you do not get a free home, you do not care for.
You do not receive financial assistance from your band.
You do not receive ( not all but some ) free education.
You do not get free medical attention.

Even their own people are discriminated against when you consider some of the Treaties, why would that be?
The treaties under the Indian Act apply to all of the status Indians and more, not who the band elects to support Gramma.

The list goes on, I wish I had all the rights they have. I am beginning to wonder about my rights.
Oh, yes I have the right to work for over 50% of a year so that a large portion goes to those who have no rights...

Currently has anyone found the figures on what percentage of your tax dollar goes directly to supporting the Native Heritage and costs of living?
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

They dont have rights? I think they do, they get free medical, free education, tax free lands and homes without rents or mortgages,,, cheaper stuff like their tobaccos and gas sold exclusively even at certain gas stations,,, money monthly without working for it... Hmmm wish I could get my gas cheap and live rent free. I think they have more rights then I do, they just dont exercise many of them, like the right to make even more then they get from their chief's doling out, by working for it.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

One of the rights they don't have is the right to own their own homes on the reserves, the right to the land it sits on or the right to sell that home or any of the reserve lands.

Until recently they didn't have the right to tax any business operating on their land but I think now they do which is perhaps why we see the Okanagan bands building and expanding shopping centres and housing subdivisions - as tenants not as owners of the land their businesses and homes sit on.

Historically, there were a lot more rights they didn't have but which non-reserve people did have. The right to speak their language or practice their traditional ceremonies, the right to leave their reserves, the right to hunt, fish or trap off reserves in their traditional ways for sustaining themselves, the right to educate their children the way they wanted to, the right to self-determination are just some I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Fishing, hunting,,,, dont they get to do those any time of the year and without limits and purchasing licences?
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Roadster wrote:Fishing, hunting,,,, dont they get to do those any time of the year and without limits and purchasing licences?

Historically they did not. Now they do.

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

grammafreddy wrote:One of the rights they don't have is the right to own their own homes on the reserves, the right to the land it sits on or the right to sell that home or any of the reserve lands.

One of the rights it seems they do have, is to sit on their duffs collecting money from Canadians who in fact did nothing to them, Canadians many of whom have to stretch their resources far more than natives do, to accomplish the same ends.

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooosh................. hear that? That was the sound of sympathy flying out the door.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'm still confused - they want their lands and their way of life as a collective and then on the other hand want to be able to own their own home to buy and sell as they please. They can do that off the reserve.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Fancy wrote:I'm still confused - they want their lands and their way of life as a collective and then on the other hand want to be able to own their own home to buy and sell as they please. They can do that off the reserve.

Sort of conflicts with their traditional culture, where really they might be considered Nomads by modern standards. It is in keeping with traditional behavior though, where our ways are embraced when it suits, and the traditional culture card played when it doesn't. Nothing new there.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I have the right to work and support myself, so do they.
I have the right to buy my own home, so do they.
I have the right to buy materials and do the work to maintain my home, so do they.
I have the right to pay my bills to ensure my utilities service, so do they
I have the right to vote, so do they.
I have the right to medical care, so do they.
I have the right to avoid alcoholism and addiction, so do they.
I have the right to education. so do they.
I have the right to be a productive member of society, so do they.
I have the right to be critical of people that are merely a drain on our society, so do they.
I have the right not to be a non-productive parasite, so do they.
Black Dogs Matter
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

grammafreddy wrote:One of the rights they don't have is the right to own their own homes on the reserves, the right to the land it sits on or the right to sell that home or any of the reserve lands.

Until recently they didn't have the right to tax any business operating on their land but I think now they do which is perhaps why we see the Okanagan bands building and expanding shopping centres and housing subdivisions - as tenants not as owners of the land their businesses and homes sit on.

Historically, there were a lot more rights they didn't have but which non-reserve people did have. The right to speak their language or practice their traditional ceremonies, the right to leave their reserves, the right to hunt, fish or trap off reserves in their traditional ways for sustaining themselves, the right to educate their children the way they wanted to, the right to self-determination are just some I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others.

Native locatee owned lands have been leased for a long time gram. Has made a number of natives quite well off.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

Historically, there were a lot more rights they didn't have but which non-reserve people did have.

"Historically" being the key word here. Time to come into the "future", IMO.....and let the past be where it needs to be...in the past. Why can't they live, teach, and speak their culture? All immigrants can do that....no excuses for the First Nations people, IMO.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

That's horrible, they get land and a house for life, but they can't own it. I'm sure they'd rather live in the same house but have to work for it their whole lives, and then even though they "own" it, they'd lose it if they didn't pay taxes on it. :127: Now seeing as you hear so much about how they complain they're stuck on a reserve, what better opportunity could they have than to be able to save for a house off-reserve with what they save on rent or mortgage payments on-reserve, another opportunity that the rest of Canadians don't get, yet that doesn't seem to be happening.

As far as the condition of some of their houses, I don't know why they don't adopt a sort of strata system when they're given houses where they must keep up the lawn, can't board up the windows, can't leave garbage or old cars in their yards, etc. or you get the boots. Most any other Canadian would jump at the idea of getting free housing you just have to maintain, so why doesn't it work for the natives?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

^^ :rate10:

Return to “Canada”