Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

cv23
Guru

Re: Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

Post by cv23 »

zzontar wrote:I wonder what natives would feel like if they moved to Germany and found out that they're responsible for the holocaust?

Or accept that they were responsible for what was done to the Japanese during WW2 right here in Canada?
Last edited by cv23 on Feb 7th, 2013, 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

kibbs wrote:Then do you agree that Indian affairs is a racist institution?

I think it is wrong for anyone or any organization to treat or demand different treatment because of race.

So just how is any progress going to be made in achieving racial harmony and equality when those doing the negotiating have such clearly racist aggendas?
I'm here speaking for harmony based on equality but you and others want to nothing but to see the racism continue by seeing one race treated differently.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

grammafreddy wrote:CV, do you honestly think non-native Canadians are ever going to accept natives as their equal? Would you accept having a native family from some northern reserve living next door to you? What about if they were drug or alcohol addicts and couldn't work? What if they stole from you to feed their addictions? How about if they littered their yard with car parts and junk like some do on reserves - and never mowed their grass?

If all the native people up north are moved off their reserves, where should they get moved to?

Wow, that's nasty! But let me say this,,, if they can't and won't take care of themselves as you just pointed out I am sure they will just be living where lazy white men and women do in the low rent areas where people don't care, so ya,,, I would be more then willing to have a nice native family living next door to me. It's a shame we should think now that they will trash a neighborhood just by living there so we should keep them up north. I think if they were given the chance to show pride in themselves and their dwelling they could do it when mingling in a neighborhood. I do know a few who do pull their weight in their homes and yards off reserves.
The problem on reserves is their chiefs are not directing them to do so, like we have bypass here in the city. That shows big time in Atapiskawat. Again, I am shocked Spence hadn't hired a few to take care of the grounds, that place has no reason to look like it does. Where'd the money go? Y is she supposedly making 8 grand to run a little day care? Do them kids need to be in a day care if both parents are not working? Day care is normally for absent parent situations, not to place the kid so the parents don't have to take care of them. How many were in that day care? How many because both parents had jobs? Here as far as I know a working couple has to pay for day care so that means they are out of the home making money and they can afford this day care. Was that day care being paid for by us at a high rate of management costs just to have it and dump kids for no reason? Or are them kids really in there for a reason. Would sure love to know more on that. Since most families are paid an income because they are band members living on native land I can't see many of them needing day care. Especially at the rate it was costing us to manage such a simple thing IMO. It's not like a school where teachers are being managed exams and specific learning is going on. Anyone can run a day care, right in their own homes here.
Love to know how many working staff and how many kids (so how many per kid) and what that staff was making if the chief was making 8 grand a month. Even if she made 2 or 3 grand tax free it sounds like a lot, but just imagine how many coulda been paid to care for the road, the garbage,,, this could be a huge mismanagement and a huge raking of bucks for nothing. That place isn't fit for dogs to live and yet there are people looking at the situation they live in every day and doing nothing about it. Soooo not our government's fault when we know there is money that slipped through some dirty cracks and yet the place looks soooo bad.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

grammafreddy wrote:CV, do you honestly think non-native Canadians are ever going to accept natives as their equal? Would you accept having a native family from some northern reserve living next door to you? What about if they were drug or alcohol addicts and couldn't work? What if they stole from you to feed their addictions? How about if they littered their yard with car parts and junk like some do on reserves - and never mowed their grass?

If all the native people up north are moved off their reserves, where should they get moved to?

I would treat them the same way I treated any neighbor who acted that way towards me an my family. Brutally.

Funny that you painted natives as only thieves and drug addicts. Why not ask if a Native family moved in next door and worked and paid their bills would it be an issue? I think in my neighborhood I have Colombians, Italians, some Irish, and not sure if the one family is German, but I just think of them as my neighbors. Why would it matter if someone was Native GF, is race that big to you? I can accept people, I don't find the need to label them.

It's attitudes like this when people think the Natives shouldn't join the rest of Canada that keeps them segregated in areas that increase the abuses of drugs and alcohol. If I grew up in a place where my elders kept the money and I was told to never ever leave or try to make my life better I'd just want to drink a whole lot more too.

Simply taking everyone from the reserves and making them move into town would be a set up for failure, but why is it discouraged to have kids grow up and leave to make a better life. I left my home when I grew up, why is the mentality that Natives should stay on the reserve? It's an apparently failed system and needs to be completely changed, and on reserve attitudes are a big place to start.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

If my parents had encouraged me to stay with them or near them I would never have travelled, never would have done the interesting things I got to do nor would I have made so many interesting friends along the way or seen all the places I did including several places in Europe which one of my jobs sent me to. My parents didn't want us close they wanted us to move around and remember to visit. Why wouldn't they want theirs to explore, visit other countries and cultures as well as the rest of Canada? So many interesting places and when you get to do that you even find your forever home. You don't need to lose your culture or family, we have so many ways to connect and travel back home.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

What would their race have to do with anything? What if they were white and did as you speak? I'd dislike them for their way of life, nothing to do with color or race there.

Just have that down the street now, it was a family dwelling, now a rental. Just wait till they try stealing from me!! :skyisfalling:
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

I have had the worst white man neighbors you can imagine,,, it isn't about color or race, it's about laziness, what a person does is pick a house in a neighborhood where yards and homes are kept well and if there are natives,,, or Chinese or east Indians, you Should be ok.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Trash strewn lawns says your in poor country not on a reserve.Same with theft and open drugs and drunks,
just happens a lot of reserves is poor country. Don't worry Steve will fix it hes got a native senator on his side.
Peace be with you.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I disagree. It has nothing to do with financial station. What you describe comes from a lack of character, and lack of pride. It is not limited to reserves, I know people from all walks who shirk their responsibilities. The wealthy simply cover it up because they can afford to pay for someone to do it for them.
I haven't failed until I quit.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I disagree. It has nothing to do with financial station

i have never seen an old ford up on blocks on a front lawn in Rosedale.
rich dude.jpg
Peace be with you.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Lady tehMa wrote:I disagree. It has nothing to do with financial station. What you describe comes from a lack of character, and lack of pride. It is not limited to reserves, I know people from all walks who shirk their responsibilities. The wealthy simply cover it up because they can afford to pay for someone to do it for them.

I agree, there are some trailer parks where everyone keeps their property well maintained and looking good even though they might not be rich, while others look horrible because of the people, not the money.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

agree, there are some trailer parks where everyone keeps their property well maintained and looking good even though they might not be rich, while others look horrible because of the people, not the money.

Those nice trailer parks are for seniors and strata run ,apples n oranges check out the poor family park .on or off reserve.
Peace be with you.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I'm going to lock this until i can clean it up later.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Canada”