Board Meister

Re: Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

Post by albertabound »

:sunshine: They have to earn respect. :bethecoffee:
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

cv23 wrote:How about we set up a special subnation for the Japanese Canadians too? And one for the Chinese Canadians, one for the Indo Canadians and so on and so on.
You can not have a "nation within a nation". That would mean treating some citizens differently and giving them different rights and privileges and in this case you want to do so based only on their race. That is racism.

You're not recognizing that we are not in Japan.
We are not in China.
We are not in India.
We are however, in Canada.

We are not following the examples of other countries.
We are developing and implementing our own methods and means of getting to a point with this, our country, where we WILL be living as MANY nations within a nation.
It's already happened. You cannot change that.
What you CAN do is let go of the idea that we need to follow the same path that other countries have when dealing with the disintegration and separation of cultures.
We're going to do things different here, because we are fortunate enough to have that opportunity.
You can either get on side with the changes and do what you can as an individual to ensure things are executed in a fair, respectful manner that remains steadfast on seeking resolution...or you can waste your time and energy on wishes that won't ever come to be.

Your reference to setting up other nations (Japan, China and India) within Canada is a bit...well...clownish, no?
It's hard to reply seriously to posts like this cv, because they really offer nothing more than ANOTHER whiff of your distaste.

How about this:
Instead of posting nothing but your discontent and displeasure, try putting some thought into positive ways we can all aim for the same goal(s).
You might just have the next great idea, but unless you can articulate it,that idea will fall as flat as those wishes.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

albertabound wrote::sunshine: They have to earn respect. :bethecoffee:

Who is "they" to you?
ALL First Nations?
I hope you're not speaking about an entire race.
If you are speaking of the few who DO need to earn respect, what race are they from?
I'd answer ALL.

If you want your input to have any value, post something with substance and fortitude.
Anything less is akin to adding wet paper to the concrete mix we intend to use to set a new foundation.
Do you really want to be the contributor that tossed in the weak spot?
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

They have to earn respect.

Just what would it take for first nations to gain the respect of Canada.Is not being recognized by United Nations enough .Would they actually have to organize an army and defeat us in war to impress you.You must accept that the sky is blue.And most believe the idea of a first peoples nation,not a country, lives on through its people in a now shared country.
Peace be with you.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Graham Adder wrote:You're not recognizing that we are not in Japan.
We are not in China.
We are not in India.
We are however, in Canada.
Yes we are in Canada and we should try to ensure all are treated EQUALLY here. Why do you want to see one race treated differently and what makes your race special compared to others?
We are not following the examples of other countries.
Maybe that's part of the problem? Like you maybe we are to arrogant to realize when we are wrong?
We are developing and implementing our own methods and means of getting to a point with this, our country, where we WILL be living as MANY nations within a nation.
There will never be racial harmony and peace as long as one "nation" within that nation wants special rights or privileges based on race
It's already happened. You cannot change that.
I thought you wanted change because your race was/is being treated so unfairly????
What you CAN do is let go of the idea that we need to follow the same path that other countries have when dealing with the disintegration and separation of cultures.
Why , because they are trying to promote and work towards racial equality?
We're going to do things different here, because we are fortunate enough to have that opportunity.
So that we can be racists and treat one race differently?
You can either get on side with the changes and do what you can as an individual to ensure things are executed in a fair, respectful manner that remains steadfast on seeking resolution...or you can waste your time and energy on wishes that won't ever come to be.
The one steadfast against positive change is you as long as you continue to remain steadfast on with your racist wishes that we treat one race differently than others

Your reference to setting up other nations (Japan, China and India) within Canada is a bit...well...clownish, no?
Not any more clowish that yours to see your special nation within Canada
It's hard to reply seriously to posts like this cv, because they really offer nothing more than ANOTHER whiff of your distaste.
Distaste for the racism you are promoting GA

How about this:
Instead of posting nothing but your discontent and displeasure, try putting some thought into positive ways we can all aim for the same goal(s).
I have provided possible solutions to see all Canadians become equals. You on the otherhand keep promoting your racist ways by insisting one race be treated differently
You might just have the next great idea, but unless you can articulate it,that idea will fall as flat as those wishes.
Well you have very clearly articulated that your solution includes racist elements

It is pretty simple. There will be little or no chance of a solution to the native issues or racial harmony in Canada as long as the natives demand special treatment based on their race. First Nations people don't want to be Canadians they want to be special Canadians with different rights and privileges than other Canadians. First Nations don't want to be part of Canada, they want to have their own special nation. First nations people don't want to be governed by the rules the rest of Canadians follow, they want their own special rules. First Nations people don't want to to be governed by the same government as other Canadians, they want their own self government.
As long as one race is treated differently within a country it will give all the other races in that country reason to dislike, look down upon or even envy the race receiving the special treatment. This can only be eliminated by treating ALL Canadians equally no matter the race.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

As long as one race is treated differently within a country it will give all the other races in that country reason to dislike, look down upon or even envy the race receiving the special treatment. This can only be eliminated by treating ALL Canadians equally no matter the race.

The government of Canada has treated them differently based on race and continue to do so through the ministry of aboriginal and northern affairs .If you are a Canadian this means YOU.By accepting and agreeing with its baby sitting methods you agree with its racist policy.By negotiating a new idea that is agreeable to both nations .that will create transparencies in how we and they govern.Only then will you see equity in Culture .Only by accepting a first nation can we negotiate a change.
Peace be with you.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

If you are a Canadian this means YOU.

Sorry....I do NOT agree with anything like that....as if we can do anything about what the government of this country does.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Sorry....I do NOT agree with anything like that....as if we can do anything about what the government of this country does.

Last I checked we are a democracy and have everything to do with what the government does.As of now money gets power .So that's whose winning .Who knows with young people and smart phones ,little brother may rule once again.
Democracy is a form of government in which all eligible citizens have an equal say in the decisions that affect their lives. Democracy allows eligible citizens to participate equally—either directly or through elected representatives—in the proposal, development, and creation of laws. It encompasses social, economic and cultural conditions that enable the free and equal practice of political self-determination. wiki

In short do not vote for steve next time.
Last edited by kibbs on Feb 7th, 2013, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace be with you.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

kibbs wrote:The government of Canada has treated them differently based on race and continue to do so through the ministry of aboriginal and northern affairs .If you are a Canadian this means YOU.By accepting and agreeing with its baby sitting methods you agree with its racist policy.By negotiating a new idea that is agreeable to both nations .that will create transparencies in how we and they govern.Only then will you see equity in Culture .Only by accepting a first nation can we negotiate a change.

This means YOU too Kibbs, assuming you too are a Canadian.
I am the one speaking for a change to equality (not equity). You and others don't want equality you want to see First Nations people treated differently, and sadly that is racism.
If First Nations people don't want to be Canadians, equal with all other Canadians, then I would be more than in favour of seeing First Nations people become their own sovereign nation. Not a nation within a nation but a fully sovereign nation standing on their own with all the responsibilities associated with it. No more depending on Canada, or anyone else, for anything.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

This means YOU too Kibbs, assuming you too are a Canadian.

absolutely i bear full responsibility and shame for all that has been and will be done to first nations people .but i do not bear it alone .and i do not throw it off lightly cause it feels icky.all the rest are still playing cowboys and Indians.
Peace be with you.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

kibbs wrote:absolutely i bear full responsibility and shame for all that has been and will be done to first nations people .but i do not bear it alone .and i do not throw it off lightly cause it feels icky.all the rest are still playing cowboys and Indians.

Yet you continue to want First Nations peoples to be treated differently than other Canadians. If this isn't racism then what is?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

CV, do you honestly think non-native Canadians are ever going to accept natives as their equal? Would you accept having a native family from some northern reserve living next door to you? What about if they were drug or alcohol addicts and couldn't work? What if they stole from you to feed their addictions? How about if they littered their yard with car parts and junk like some do on reserves - and never mowed their grass?

If all the native people up north are moved off their reserves, where should they get moved to?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

kibbs wrote:absolutely i bear full responsibility and shame for all that has been and will be done to first nations people .but i do not bear it alone .and i do not throw it off lightly cause it feels icky.all the rest are still playing cowboys and Indians.

I wonder what natives would feel like if they moved to Germany and found out that they're responsible for the holocaust?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

people treated differently, and sadly that is racism.

Then do you agree that Indian affairs is a racist institution?
Peace be with you.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

grammafreddy wrote:CV, do you honestly think non-native Canadians are ever going to accept natives as their equal?
Why not? The only thing holding natives back in Canada is themselves and their own perpetuating of a stereotype.
Would you accept having a native family from some northern reserve living next door to you?
Why not? I have no say as to lives beside me now
What about if they were drug or alcohol addicts and couldn't work?
It's "won't" work and that's their own choice in life. I can't force anyone to stop drugs or get a job. I can however report them to the authorities if they are in possession of drugs just as I would anyone else breaking the law in this manner.
What if they stole from you to feed their addictions?
Then I will have them arrested just like I would anyone who steals from me or anyone else
How about if they littered their yard with car parts and junk like some do on reserves - and never mowed their grass?
I'd call bylaws just like I would for any neighbour who did so.

If all the native people up north are moved off their reserves, where should they get moved to?
Why move them anywhere? Why not just give them their reserve land as freehold like all other privately held property in Canada?

Did you notice how you have negatively stereotyped First Nations peoples in your post? Maybe if you and others quit the negative stereotyping change for the better might happen?

Return to “Canada”