Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

zzontar
Guru

Re: Harper to meet with Chief Spence/First Nations leaders

Post by zzontar »

grammafreddy wrote:Now, you see ... what you think of as non-natives who get subsidies you think of as the poor folks who are on welfare, etc.

What about all the other non-natives and all the subsidies they get? The ones who are not on welfare or EI or on pensions? The ones who work and still get subsidies, grants, tax credits, etc??? The ones like perhaps ... you?

I don't think it's right for anyone to abuse the system, and seeing as I've been employed 99% of my adult life, stay healthy, and don't have kids, I'll have put way more into the system than I'll get out of it. Back to figuring out who drains the system more, from Ellen Gabriel's article:
[list=]In the United Nations Human Development Report 2003, which is used to assess standard of living, Canada ranked 8th in the world. When this formula is applied to Registered Indians, Canada is ranked 48th in the world.
Health: A disproportionate number of Aboriginal peoples in Canada live below the poverty line

Now calculate the proportion of natives and non-natives in jails and courtrooms and who do you think is costing the system much more proportionally?

Oppression has been the constant in Aboriginal peoples’ relationship with Canada. It has also been instrumental in the destruction and loss of peoples’ traditions, language, spirituality and political structures.

What traditions do they want to practice that they can't now? Why can't they learn their language when I could if I wanted? What part of spirituality can they not believe in or practice? My suggestion would be instead of dwelling on the can'ts that they start focusing on the cans, because there's nothing to stop them from those things now besides themselves.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

What part of spirituality can they not believe in or practice? My suggestion would be instead of dwelling on the can'ts that they start focusing on the cans, because there's nothing to stop them from those things now besides themselves.

at the last kff(no beastiality that year) i watched a doc that showed how a native and white comunity worked together when building a med center the native community made it bigger and available to all peoples and when building industry they worked together on forestry projects.i went in expecting to hear another sad story but came out uplifted by seeing native and non native cooperation,
Peace be with you.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

coffeeFreak wrote:
Unless a person is a Status First Nations working ON a reserve, Aboriginal people pay income tax just like everyone else.

Is SRI homes in Lake Country within a First Nations reserve? The first Nations employees do not pay income tax at that business.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Libelle wrote:Is SRI homes in Lake Country within a First Nations reserve? The first Nations employees do not pay income tax at that business.

Yes.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

grammafreddy wrote:Image

Seriously now, does that look even remotely close to the picture of someone about to starve to death?

If that's the result of 3+ wks of starving then I'd have to speculate she's good for about another ten years or so.

Dog and pony show would be a far more accurate description of her actions.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Paul Martin, former Prime MInister has taken leave of his senses. It is unbelievable that he would wade in on this issue in the manner that he has; and the fact that he has reported referred to this Spence woman as an "inspiration" to Canadians is the most ridiculous utterance ever made by an ex politician. A woman who has held the office of Chief of the Attawapiskat Reserve, where there are such glaring financial questions.... Martin's comments defy all reason. These are difficult times and the government of Canada is trying to resolve some very serious issues with aboriginal peoples and Martin goes off at the mouth like that!!!!! There are times to be political and times not to be political, and Mr Martin seems to have lost his grip on this one.
Last edited by Treblehook on Jan 6th, 2013, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

coffeeFreak wrote:
Yes.

Is there a link showing that SRI Homes is on a First Nations reserve?
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

first nations.jpg
heres a map is in it one of those areas
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

in light of the latest government audit from chief spences band id say shes s muddying the waters of idle no more.very smart of steve to release it just before the meeting.maybe steve can teach her how to bean count.i still support the idle no more movement and hope they throw her off the band wagon.slow it down first a litle she did bring attention.
Peace be with you.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

this is a good example of just how bad(not bad off) the indians really are
this is what iam talking bout here

Investigation into Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence after a leaked copy of an audit of her community’s finances suggests there was a lack of due diligence over millions of dollars spent by the band.

The unreleased audit says there is little or no documentation for $104 million dollars intended for services such as housing, sewage and education spent by the northern Ontario First Nation,
this quote really kills me:
Deloitte raised concerns about staff turnover, corporate memory loss

Spence’s community made national headlines in the fall of 2011 after calling a state of emergency related to the dire need for housing.

Ottawa responded by providing 22 modular homes to the community. Aboriginal Affairs Minister John Duncan also appointed a third-party manager to oversee the band council – a move that was opposed by Spence and her colleagues.

THIS INDIAN CHIEF IS A LIAR AND A THEIF AND SHOULD BE IN JAIL FOR EMBEZELMENT
Last edited by ticat900 on Jan 7th, 2013, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

steve.jpg
this is a good example of just how bad(not bad off) the indians really are
this is what iam talking bout here

shows this band didn't spend enough money on a bookkeeper .well probably never truly know how she spent their money.i wonder if he will wear his headdress to the meeting.
Peace be with you.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

ticat900 wrote:
The unreleased audit says there is little or no documentation for $104 million dollars intended for services such as housing, sewage and education spent by the northern Ontario First Nation,
this quote really kills me:
Deloitte raised concerns about staff turnover, corporate memory loss

Maybe that's because they never received it? Perhaps the government hadn't told them yet what to spend it on and how much of it on each thing?

According to the news, they asked for repairs to their existing homes and instead of that, the government built them 20 or so new homes - which did nothing to help the ones who needed the repairs.

I am not saying they are without some fault in all this, but I think it is necessary to look at all sides of any native issue and recognize the government has a great deal to answer for in the way they have treated FN people and how they are not truthful about most of it and cover up their mismanagement of native issues and spin big tall stories to cover their *bleep*.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

ticat900 wrote:Ottawa responded by providing 22 modular homes to the community.

How many people do you think were expected to be rehoused in those 22 modulars? One family each? That's what would happen here with non-natives, wouldn't it? We wouldn't expect three or four or more whole families to live in one modular if they were white folks, would we? They needed repairs to a lot more homes than 22. They did not ask for new modulars - they asked for repairs to their existing homes.

And did Ottawa also include the money and infrastructure to set up those 22 modulars, to connect them to hydro, water and sewer or put in septic tanks for them? Or did they just dump those 22 modulars there on the reserve and say, "There ya go ... 22 houses" and then buggar off leaving them with unconnected homes?

This is an excellent example of how Ottawa does not listen to what native people say they need and how Ottawa responds inappropriately - when they do respond.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

grammafreddy wrote:According to the news, they asked for repairs to their existing homes and instead of that, the government built them 20 or so new homes - which did nothing to help the ones who needed the repairs.

Welcome to the real world, what do the rest of Canadians and the rest of the world do when their houses (that they had to pay for) need repair?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Welcome to the real world, what do the rest of Canadians and the rest of the world do when their houses
(
we have been skilled for centuries at white home maintenance they have only been doing it for less than 1.they lack the skills we take for granted.here is what the okanagan band is doing about it .
http://www.otdc.org/index.php/coordinat ... vices.html

http://www.otdc.org/index.php/trades-video.html
Last edited by kibbs on Jan 7th, 2013, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace be with you.

Return to “Canada”