Idle No More co-founder uneasy with Chief Spence

Libelle
Guru

Re: Idle No More co-founder uneasy with Chief Spence

Post by Libelle »

No Aboriginal right, even though constitutionally protected, is absolute in Canadian law.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/ ... nal-rights
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

No Aboriginal right, even though constitutionally protected, is absolute in Canadian law.

Thats right ,if we want to change anything its done through treaty negotiation not legislation.That means sit down talks .I think your source is a little old.
Peace be with you.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

grammafreddy wrote:What are ya gonna do with all the FAS folks, the drunks and the drug addicts, Roadie? How do you plan to integrate them into society? How and where do you plan to house them and feed them when they are mentally incapable of working for their keep?

There's thousands upon thousands of Indians - where do you want them to live if you think they should all move away from the north? In the house next door to you?

Like we do now, they can be treated as all Fas patients are treated in facilities and such possibly allowing the parents to educate and set themselves up as any other Canadian does, with Community inclusion which is a great medicine for what ails them. There are support systems for it to help the Fas patient become a part of society and act as a player with our communities. I personally know a young native FAS person who has not been on native land since he was a young child, was adopted and he lives the valley now in a facility. His father unknown and his mother not with the living. He is quite happy and doing well. I have visited him and those in the facility with him. He loves it there with all of his roomies who are in the same position he is in,,,, whites, blacks, and a few others in there, it's a whole mixture of cultures between all of his caregivers and the clients and he seems to like it.
So do we stop the cycle now or let it get worse and worse over time until it's unfixable with any amount of dollars? If offered wouldn't they want help with that now? It has to be fixed somehow before something does change and they are left to fix that and fend for themselves and trust me, lots of Canadians want this to change, especially because it's adding up to more and more as time goes, we are digging a bigger hole and they are being trapped in It, those who can need to move on and find work, the rest who need help need to get it and if it's our government that's gotta do that then they better start feeling like this is their nation and start becoming a part of it as a Canadian, voting and looking to share in the wealth of jobs and supports and all that towns and cities offer like libraries, shops, parks and gyms,,, you name it, all the things they miss because theirs are not being maintained in a fair manner,,, you know why there is all this FAS and booze and drug abuse and even depression you (and they) talk about happening, we are the cause, just like a mom and dad who let their child live out their adulthood in the parental home with little responsibilities.
I know right now if my parents let me do that I would be the laziest person I know, that was never gonna happen. But my cousin can do it,,, some days I wish I had his parents who he can call on his cell phone from his bedroom and order breakfast and other days I am so glad I know how to own my own home and appreciate all I have built for myself,,, don't you? And here is the worst part, they are remortgaging their home and selling stuff to support him and all of his bad habits with the law and his desire to keep schooling himself over and over and failing on their dime so he can hang with the collage girls and his parents are gonna leave him not one red dime when they go. I wish every good man and woman to have all they deserve and those people on the reserves being encouraged to stay there by us are not getting that.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

kibbs wrote:Thats right ,if we want to change anything its done through treaty negotiation not legislation.That means sit down talks .I think your source is a little old.

Problem is negotiating will never solve anything. The government gave this many over many years ago and now they have to make changes to offer help where needed and get people educated and working. The reserve life as it is in many cases isn't proving to provide healthy lives and all that is offered to every other Canadian in cities and towns. Let em keep their land and offer them a way off it for the sake of having a fair life where they can fend for themselves and enjoy what's really fine in life.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

Infringement of aboriginal rights or title must be justified by non-Aboriginal governments on the basis of a legitimate government purpose and recognition of the constitutional protection of the rights being affected. There may also be a requirement for prior consultation with the Aboriginal peoples concerned and compensation in some circumstances.

From the same link I posted last post.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy

Return to “Canada”