oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Professor says students can't identify continents on map

Post by oneh2obabe »

Geography knowledge found lacking in Memorial University classes
CBC News
Posted: Jan 15, 2013 6:10 AM NT
Last Updated: Jan 15, 2013 1:04 PM NT

A professor at Memorial University says her students desperately need to brush up on their geography.

In September, Judith Adler gave students in her Sociology 2270 class a pop quiz – something she now requires her students to pass in order to pass her course.

The course studies sociology of the family, and Adler teaches the material from a cross-cultural perspective.

"I've assigned work on families in Africa, families in Asia, families in South America. And for many years, I just took for granted that if I talked about families in Africa, that my students had a visual image of where Africa was," she said.

Adler decided she had to make sure her students knew the locations she was talking about. She handed out a blank map, and gave her students simple instructions: Identify Europe, Asia, South America and Africa.

"The results were really mind-opening to me," she said.

"They should not be confusing Antarctica and the Arctic, and they should know that they live on the Atlantic Ocean ... and they should be able to know where North America is."

Adler described the test as extremely elementary, adding she's had to make it even simpler over the years. This year's results were no less shocking.

"The Atlantic Ocean is labelled as the Mediterranean Sea; Africa is circled and labelled as Europe, with Spain and Italy being put in the middle of Africa," she said.

Adler said she can't believe her students' lack of knowledge when it comes to geography.

"The revelation of how the school system here has completely dropped geography from young people's education has been very striking to me," she said.

Adler is calling on the university to be more proactive.

"I think that the entering students should be tested on elementary knowledge, and they should take a remedial course if they don't have it because the rest of their education depends on it."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundl ... y-115.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Re: Professor says students can't identify continents on map

Post by averagejoe »

removed - Jennylives
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Bah - we need to get more students into the trades. All that book learning doesn't do a thing for the economy!

We need to get oil patch safety courses put into place in high schools instead of Geography.

After all we are shaping this country to be a giant Texas, aren't we?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

removed - Jennylives
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

oneh2obabe wrote:Geography knowledge found lacking in Memorial University classes
CBC News
Posted: Jan 15, 2013 6:10 AM NT
Last Updated: Jan 15, 2013 1:04 PM NT

A professor at Memorial University says her students desperately need to brush up on their geography.

In September, Judith Adler gave students in her Sociology 2270 class a pop quiz – something she now requires her students to pass in order to pass her course.

The course studies sociology of the family, and Adler teaches the material from a cross-cultural perspective.

"I've assigned work on families in Africa, families in Asia, families in South America. And for many years, I just took for granted that if I talked about families in Africa, that my students had a visual image of where Africa was," she said.

Adler decided she had to make sure her students knew the locations she was talking about. She handed out a blank map, and gave her students simple instructions: Identify Europe, Asia, South America and Africa.

"The results were really mind-opening to me," she said.

"They should not be confusing Antarctica and the Arctic, and they should know that they live on the Atlantic Ocean ... and they should be able to know where North America is."

Adler described the test as extremely elementary, adding she's had to make it even simpler over the years. This year's results were no less shocking.

"The Atlantic Ocean is labelled as the Mediterranean Sea; Africa is circled and labelled as Europe, with Spain and Italy being put in the middle of Africa," she said.

Adler said she can't believe her students' lack of knowledge when it comes to geography.

"The revelation of how the school system here has completely dropped geography from young people's education has been very striking to me," she said.

Adler is calling on the university to be more proactive.

"I think that the entering students should be tested on elementary knowledge, and they should take a remedial course if they don't have it because the rest of their education depends on it."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundl ... y-115.html

Are these Canadian students they're talking about? :200:
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Sn0man wrote:Are these Canadian students they're talking about? :200:

Yes ... Memorial University - Newfoundland/Labrador
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

oneh2obabe wrote:Yes ... Memorial University - Newfoundland/Labrador

So... they're Newfies? :dyinglaughing:
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

oneh2obabe wrote:Yes ... Memorial University - Newfoundland/Labrador

That explains it.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

If they don't watch it, people will start telling jokes about Newfies.
Black Dogs Matter
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Still better than America.

When a grad class was asked what 2 countries bordered their country, only 50% could name them. Some of them even said Alaska or South America.
albertabound
Board Meister

Post by albertabound »

:bethecoffee: Just goes to show how good the teachers are. :sunshine:
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

fvkasm2x wrote:Still better than America.

When a grad class was asked what 2 countries bordered their country, only 50% could name them. Some of them even said Alaska or South America.

They truly are that clueless south of the border, and I frankly find it scary. Are they really all so self absorbed that they can't be bothered to learn anything about the rest of the globe, unless it has oil?

I think given a few minutes I could probably still name all fifty states, not to mention having a good grasp of their general location.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

85% of young adult Americans don't know where Iraq is

By marx in MLP
Thu Nov 21, 2002 at 11:39:47 AM EST
Tags: Culture (all tags)

A survey commissioned and published by National Geographic shows that a large majority of young Americans between the age of 18-24 are geographically illiterate.

Less than 15% of the subjects could locate Iraq or Israel on a map. Only 17% could locate Afghanistan, even though the survey was carried out after the war. 11% could not locate the U.S. on a map.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

SmokeOnTheWater wrote: A survey commissioned and published by National Geographic shows that a large majority of young Americans between the age of 18-24 are geographically illiterate.

11% could not locate the U.S. on a map.

They're kidding right? :dyinglaughing:
Last edited by French Castanut on Jan 17th, 2013, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Canada”