Is this the Canadian attitude?

juz516
Board Meister

Is this the Canadian attitude?

Post by juz516 »

This was in the Toronto Sun. IMO, it should never have been printed...what an attitude. This is not funny. IMO again.

TORONTO - What, did they rush in yelling, Allahu Akbar, go, Leafs, go?

Algeria insists a Canadian led the barbaric attack on a Sahara gas plant and there’s word another Canuck was among his gang of thugs.

This is disturbing on many levels. Even Wolf Blitzer looked shocked.

I bet you, too, got a chill when Algerian Prime Minister Abdelmalek Sellal announced the attackers, who killed 57 hostages, came from Egypt, Mali, Niger, Mauritania and Tunisia, no big surprises...

...and Canada.

“A Canadian...was coordinating the attack,” Sellal said.

What---? Surely not.

We are a land of hockey players, comedians, polar bears and peacekeepers.

We are admired and envied, we firmly believe, as we travel the world with a maple leaf on our backpacks and our cute little “eh.”

We are not known for person Islamic extremists. Right?

Besides, how does Algeria know for sure? Did the terrorists have our flag stamped on their AK-104 Kalashnikovs? Did they have butter tarts in their kit bags?

An American anti-terror expert told Reuters he had heard there were at least two Canadians. Both were reported killed, along with 30 fellow goons, when Algerian troops stormed the plant and ended the four-day siege.

Surviving hostages said one of the killers spoke perfect English with a “North American accent.”

You mean, like Doug and Bob McKenzie?

No, unless the McKenzie brothers had a cousin “Chedad,” the name given the alleged Canadian ringleader by Sellal.

Ottawa on Monday summoned the Algerian ambassador and demanded proof. The feds suspect the only thing “Canadian” about the dead chief terrorist and his sidekick were fake or stolen passports.

Let’s hope that’s the case, though to those 57 poor souls it doesn’t much matter who pulled the trigger.

I’d hate to think we have begun to export terrorists like potash, poutine or ringette.

And even if Chedad and his chum — who reported to one-eyed al-Qaeda boss Mokhtar Belmokhtar — turn out to be phony Canucks, I wouldn’t get too cocky.

Check the government website for CSIS, our spy agency, which says:

“Many Canadians may be surprised to learn that, with the exception of the United States, there are more terrorist groups active in Canada today than in any other country in the world.”

The Great White North is a haven for terrorists, says CSIS, because it’s “an attractive place to live and do business because of its openness, and its respect for human rights and freedoms.”

So we’re a handy launch pad for jihad.

Generally, except for the kooky Toronto 18, our friendly neighbourhood terrorists don’t cause mayhem here.

Why foul your own nest? Canada’s a wonderful place to shop, shelter wives, raise kids and embrace the bungalow life — before jetting overseas to murder and maim. Don’t forget your passport.

The madcap Khadr clan comes quickly to mind, Canada’s first family of terror.

So does Momin Khawaja, the computer geek from Ottawa now doing life for his part in a 2004 London fertilizer bomb plot.

The planned bomb likely would have killed hundreds, but the crime was foiled, as was the Toronto 18’s bizarre plan to behead the prime minister and such.

Chedad, if he’s really Canadian, drags our good name through a whole new kind of mud. No junior jihadist was he, but commander of one of the most ruthless hostage-takings in memory.

Security expert Michel Juneau-Katsuya says he wouldn’t be too surprised.

“There is definitely a North African cell working right here out of Canada, and particularly out of Montreal,” he told Sun Media’s Daniel Proussalidis.

If Chedad is one of us, even technically, it’s high time we cleaned house, called in pest control.

“Al Qanada!” said Britain’s The Mirror.

I liked it a lot better when we were famous for our maple syrup.
Snman
Übergod

Re: Is this the Canadian attitude?

Post by Snman »

I think it's very funny, all tongue in cheek. You should lighten up a bit. Besides, it was in the Sun. 'Nuf said.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

I have, as do many others, family working there. The government of Canada downplays that there were 2 canadians involved with the militants, and when I read this I was furious. It was extremely difficult to find any news on the subject through Canadian news, and if one did find it, there was simply what the British Prime Minister said, or what the US said. All of the other countries that had workers in Algeria were concerned and moving people out. The Canadian govt said Canadians were safe, no warnings about travel (other than tourists) nothing...and yet the militants said that all they wanted were "westerners" or "infidels".....what are Canadians? What makes Canada so special to have that attitude, I would like to know. So the "tongue and cheek" that you found so funny (as I am sure many Canadians do) made it all sound like a joke....it is no joke IMO.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Actually, it's tongue in cheek.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

I wonder just how "Canadian" these guys actually are. People immigrate to other countries all the time, and terrorists have been found working and hiding all over the place after moving to other countries temporarily, I'm assuming at least sometimes as a part of their cover.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

True enough.. but, apparently, they had Canadian passports which makes them Canadian to the rest of the world, regardless.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

It getting so that some news sources are just focusing on the race of people and clumping them all together . Exaggerating stories to play into peoples fears,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqCcRN99COA
Peace be with you.
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

underscore wrote:I wonder just how "Canadian" these guys actually are.

It seems most "Canadians" I run into these days just moved here from China, Pakistan, India, Mexico, Iran, Iraq, ... ... ...
Sunshine tax rebate recipient

Return to “Canada”