Applebee's waitress fired for posting no-tip receipt to Redd

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Applebee's waitress fired for posting no-tip receipt to

Post by Captain Awesome »

SurplusElect wrote:Service must have really sucked...

Well, it is Applebee's.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

French Castanut wrote:A waitress at the family-restaurant chain Applebee's was fired this week after she posted to Reddit a photo of a bill, on which a self-described pastor had written "I give God 10%, why do you get 18l

Good. Maybe the service sucked. Entitlement is rampant!
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

Fancy wrote:How "christian" of the pastor. Instead of leaving the waitress a tip as would be expected, and instead of complaining to the manager of the high gratuity percentage, the pastor chose to ridicule the waitress who didn't have anything to do with company policy.

She ridiculed herself by posting it on Reddit. Good riddance.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The ridicule from the pastor came first who knows better. The service wasn't in question. Asking for everyone to be fired is ludicrous.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/02/01 ... -than-god/

http://www.examiner.com/article/alois-b ... ting-check
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Now that I know a bit more about this story, I do think the restaurant was right to fire the waitress. Posting the name of the customer online so that she could be publicly ridiculed (or worse) was TOTALLY out of line, no matter how mad she was at that particular customer.
As for the idea that this was a large group and therefore deserving of an 18% tip, when you look at the total on the bill it would appear that it was not a particularly large group (unless they all ate like mice).
I, for one, would resent like heck being told how much I should tip, and can understand why the pastor was annoyed. Maybe she was wrong to not tip at all, but she did not deserve to be publicly "outed" like this. The waitress who did so was totally out of line. Not to mention that I would think there is a possibility that restaurant could be sued considering today's "breach of privacy" laws. When you consider that possibility it's no wonder they fired the waitress responsible.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Merry wrote:Now that I know a bit more about this story, I do think the restaurant was right to fire the waitress. Posting the name of the customer online so that she could be publicly ridiculed (or worse) was TOTALLY out of line, no matter how mad she was at that particular customer.
As for the idea that this was a large group and therefore deserving of an 18% tip, when you look at the total on the bill it would appear that it was not a particularly large group (unless they all ate like mice).
I, for one, would resent like heck being told how much I should tip, and can understand why the pastor was annoyed. Maybe she was wrong to not tip at all, but she did not deserve to be publicly "outed" like this. The waitress who did so was totally out of line. Not to mention that I would think there is a possibility that restaurant could be sued considering today's "breach of privacy" laws. When you consider that possibility it's no wonder they fired the waitress responsible.

:rate10:

And to be sure, it was not the waitress who served her that was fired, but rather the one that posted receipt online complete with the woman's signature.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I think it was a given the one posting the receipt online would get canned - it's happened before and it will happen again. I find it ironic the restaurant had to remove what they posted online because of a readable signature. I also find it curious that diners are surprised at automatic gratuities - it's not like it's a new concept. Had the pastor been polite and taken her beef to management, good chance this wouldn't have happened. Who's the bully?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The first an only time I was given a mandatory tip, I was surprised, but I paid the 15% willingly. That West Kelowna restaurant has now gone out of business. I'm perfectly okay with automatic gratuity.

Yes, what she did was rude, but I would not say it was bullying. There have been several stories on Castanet almost identical to this one, but I don't remember the person being called a bully (nor anyone being fired for that matter), but there was that one story where the people got arrested for not paying the tip. A mandatory tip is not a tip, and thus must be paid just like the rest of meal no matter how bad the service.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=47161&#p1362604

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=36370&#p1113921

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/daily- ... staurants/

And here is what happens if you don't pay the mandatory tip...

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 26052.html

If you’re frustrated by poor service at a restaurant, think twice before you decide to not tip. You may be in for a bit more than just a dirty look from the waiter.

"Nobody, nobody wants to be forced to pay a tip or be arrested for terrible service," Leslie Pope said when her happy hour ended in handcuffs
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Trying to get everyone fired seems like bullying to me.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://deadspin.com/5891637/steakhouse- ... manning-is

Restaurants (and any employer for that matter) should really make a point of drilling home what their policies are and be really clear. I wonder if some places throw a booklet at their staff and say "read this" and that's it.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Glacier wrote:And here is what happens if you don't pay the mandatory tip...

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 26052.html

And this is what happens when that story has been updated ....

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 65807.html

... the next update will be the lawsuit the couple files and most likely wins ;)

Sorry, but it the service is minimal, I will and have had automatic "gratuities" removed. Call me "cheap" or whatever you want, but the simple fact is if you don't want to deliver outstanding service, don't expect me to subsidize your wage.

Tips and gratuities are voluntary not mandatory, if they want to add a mandatory fee they had better advertise it as such, i.e.: service fee, etc.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The pastor left a tip on the table so there was no need for a snarky remark on the bill. The service wasn't in question. I would be surprised if the 6 person minimum charge isn't posted in the restaurant or on the menu.
Vernon1

Post by Vernon1 »

I am still unsure WHY we tip waiters/waitresses , hairdressers and a few other others, but don't tip full service gas attendants and other minimum wage earners that provide services. I would rather pay more for the food than be ambushed by a "suggested tip". Many people that go out to eat once in a while earn very little, and do not need to be demonized by servers that feel they are cheap if they don't leave the expected amount. Pay all people a decent wage, post the realistic prices. and we can do away with this unfair system.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Hey, I found Glacier's receipt from a restaurant!

Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I don't believe in Canada there would be a conviction for failing to pay a mandatory tip. You would certainly have to prove it was stated verbally or in writing prior to the course of events.

I personally would laugh if someone complained to me they ate, they paid their meal but dashed on the mandatory tip! :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing:

Return to “Canada”