Applebee's waitress fired for posting no-tip receipt to Redd

French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Applebee's waitress fired for posting no-tip receipt to Redd

Post by French Castanut »

A waitress at the family-restaurant chain Applebee's was fired this week after she posted to Reddit a photo of a bill, on which a self-described pastor had written "I give God 10%, why do you get 18" denied her a tip.

Read more:
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/wo ... 83736.html
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Applebee's waitress fired for posting no-tip receipt to

Post by Merry »

While I don't think the waitress should have been fired for posting a copy of the receipt online, I DO object to receiving a bill which tells me how much I should tip.
I tip according to how I feel about the quality of the service I receive, NOT according to the dictate of the restaurant I'm patronizing.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

This customer was pretty high on herself.

From other articles I've read on this she was paying for the entire table, but refused to accept the 18% charge that was automatically added to a party of a certain size. I do support that, I don't think that an establishment should tell anyone how much to tip, ever.

That being said. It was also pretty rude the way the tip/comment was written AND the fact that the pastor didn't seem to think that any tip was acceptable at all. Again, from my understanding in these articles, there had been no complaints about the service from the original waitress.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

How "christian" of the pastor. Instead of leaving the waitress a tip as would be expected, and instead of complaining to the manager of the high gratuity percentage, the pastor chose to ridicule the waitress who didn't have anything to do with company policy.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

taking copies of peoples credit card receipts is a rather big no-no I am sure. I'm betting the manager understood her frustration and why the waitress would ant to mock this person online (I don't blame them), but I imagine there was a policy that this offence = termination.

Needless to say, I hope someone manages to track the pastor and their church down and shame them entirely as this was a truly pitiful act as a human being. I hate demanded tip amounts, but that was an unacceptable way to disagree.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A lot of places have it written on their menus regarding tips and large tables. This restaurant explains on their online menu
Price does not include beverage, dessert, tax or gratuity.
. I've read that on more than a few restaurant menus. Of course once the slip appeared on the internet, the pastor wanted everyone fired. How very very "christian".
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Veovis wrote:Needless to say, I hope someone manages to track the pastor and their church down and shame them entirely as this was a truly pitiful act as a human being. I hate demanded tip amounts, but that was an unacceptable way to disagree.

Yes, two wrongs make right, don't they! The next time a fellow Okanaganite mugs someone I'll have to track you down and shame you and everyone else in the Okanagan for this truly pitiful act as a human being. :sillygrin:

BTW, they did track her down because they could read her signature. I posted her picture yesterday. It's common knowledge that her name is Alois Bell... viewtopic.php?f=15&t=44323&start=360#p1419503
Last edited by Glacier on Feb 1st, 2013, 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Apparently she "feels bad" now but only because she got ousted. Ask the manager what their policy is first then or have potluck at the church. Don't take it out on staff.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Should have read "I give 10% to god and pay ZERO TAXES"

WWJD?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Why would she pay zero taxes? I'm pretty sure no one is exempt from paying taxes.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Glacier wrote:Why would she pay zero taxes? I'm pretty sure no one is exempt from paying taxes.

The Church pays no tax.

http://digitaljournal.com/article/326916

You want to talk to imaginary friends? Cool. Pay taxes.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Pastors pay taxes just like everyone else, including on non-monetary compensation (living arrangements, etc.)
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Captain Awesome wrote:Pastors pay taxes just like everyone else, including on non-monetary compensation (living arrangements, etc.)

She gives 10% to god, and "god" doesn't pay taxes.

..and she stiffs a waitress while saying that tax-exempt god gets 10%.

Service must have really sucked, because about 10,000 people died in the last few hours of starvation, suffering and such.

God still got a tip thou.
Last edited by SurplusElect on Feb 1st, 2013, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Needless to say, I hope someone manages to track the woman and her black community down and shame them entirely as this was a truly pitiful act as a human being.

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Glacier wrote:Needless to say, I hope someone manages to track the woman and her black community down and shame them entirely as this was a truly pitiful act as a human being.

3 Hail Mary's and all is good again! :137: :127:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Canada”