Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Fancy wrote:Less smoke and stoned people on the slopes (there already have been seizures).

I don't think you could find a correlation between seizures and there being "less smoke and stoned people" ever in the history of prohibition. There is more MJ and more people smoking it and in a more public fashion than ever before...... but yeah, keep kicking that dead horse...... :spinball:
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Fancy wrote:when drugs are taken away wouldn't that mean less are used?

No that would mean more are purchased....and then used more to spite the ones that got taken away....
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Fancy wrote: lol - when drugs are taken away wouldn't that mean less are used?

Great, so how does that make any sort of difference in your life?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

SurplusElect wrote:Great, so how does that make any sort of difference in your life?
Doesn't - I don't ski.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

SurplusElect wrote:What will the police be doing to prevent theft? Writing up reports after everyone has gone home?

Make themselves visible if nothing else.

SurplusElect wrote:Anyone who has been to a skihill knows that if you leave your gear out unsecured it is vulnerable - but there is also a broad sense of community and somewhat trust. Every once in awhile in awhile a bad apple gets up there and steals gear and since everyone is wearing ski gear and has relatively the same equipment it's fairly easy to pull off and impossible to stop until the person who comes back out from lunch finds their gear missing and unless they shut the whole hill down and start searching people it's a moot point and it's gone. Easier to check the pawn shops and classifieds. It's like I worked at a Chalet or something as a young man before...

Apparently you weren't paying much attention at that chalet, or it was a long time ago, but everyone on the hill gets to the top using a chair lift. That means that everyone funnels through a few common areas repeatedly throughout the day and has to scoot over the same patches of snow in the lift lines. Since people have such a wide variety of makes/models of skis and boards strapped to their feet, if a particular board gets stolen it's easy to check for in the lift lines and see if anyone with that model has a board with the same identifying markings as a stolen board. And yes, this does happen.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

The RCMP are not setting up road blocks in chairlift lines, nor would that be tolerated. Explain to the tourist why he can only do 5 runs instead of 7 because of line delays. Will discounted lift tickets be offered?

As well, people won't notice stuff is missing until way after the fact, usually end of day. If this was about theft prevention, the cops would park themselves by the unsecured gear all day. The idea that they are there to chase down thefts after the fact flies in the face of the "police presence" on the hill arguement.

Instead of suggesting that I didn't pay attention during my work day, perhaps pay attention to what has already been discussed.

Two words. Ski Patrol.

The article suggests that pot smoking is the focus. That is the topic.
Last edited by SurplusElect on Feb 25th, 2013, 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

We expect to see police officers at the beach - keeping peace and being there just in case they are needed. Hey, they even have specially designed police cruisers (golf cart with a light bar). Replace sand with white stuff (not cocaine), and apparently it's weird now?

Doesn't hurt anybody. In fact, seems natural.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Captain Awesome wrote:We expect to see police officers at the beach - keeping peace and being there just in case they are needed. Hey, they even have specially designed police cruisers (golf cart with a light bar). Replace sand with white stuff (not cocaine), and apparently it's weird now?

Except we are talking about cops going to ski hills to give out marijuana possession charges, which hurts society and government budgets.

Context helps.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

SurplusElect wrote:...which hurts society and government budgets.

Don't forget potheads' constitutional rights and freedoms.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Captain Awesome wrote:We expect to see police officers at the beach - keeping peace and being there just in case they are needed. Hey, they even have specially designed police cruisers (golf cart with a light bar). Replace sand with white stuff (not cocaine), and apparently it's weird now?

I'm not sure I'd even call a guy riding a golf cart on the beach in 90 degree weather with a vest, pants and a gun completely natural either. To each thier own though.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Poindexter wrote:I'm not sure I'd even call a guy riding a golf cart on the beach in 90 degree weather with a vest, pants and a gun completely natural either. To each thier own though.

When I moved to Canada, seeing a police officer on a bicycle around Vancouver Seawall was simply stunning. But then you get used to it, and move on. I guess snowboard is no different.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Except the beach is public and even with police there is plenty of pot use, alcohol consumption, fights, drunks in public etc.

The ski hill is PRIVATE PROPERTY and the police are using their publicly funded uniform and position of authority for their personal gain to the benefit of a business that is not willing to pay for the security and safety of their customers through the means that ANY other business would have to.

Nothing natural about it!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Captain Awesome wrote:When I moved to Canada, seeing a police officer on a bicycle around Vancouver Seawall was simply stunning. But then you get used to it, and move on. I guess snowboard is no different.

To quote one of my favourite bands, "one gun added on to the one gun one gun added on on on." One gun on the beach or ski hill is too many, even in the hands of the police. And the people they're after will only match fire power.

It raises the question, do we really want it to become natural seeing guns at the beach and ski hill? I know I don't.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Poindexter wrote:One gun on the beach or ski hill is too many, even in the hands of the police. And the people they're after will only match fire power.

Huh?

I'm quite sure there isn't a secret arms race between police and snowboarders (or beach goers). But feel free to have this opinion.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Corneliousrooster wrote: ... the police are using their publicly funded uniform and position of authority for their personal gain to the benefit of a business that is not willing to pay for the security and safety of their customers through the means that ANY other business would have to. Nothing natural about it!

OK, I gotta ask again ('cause I don’t ski so I don’t know) – is there some kind of rampant violent crime occurring on the slopes that requires fully-vested and armed police that I’m unaware of? I understand that some theft occurs around the lodge and in the parking lots, and that maybe drunks get into fights in the pubs or assault women in the hotel rooms, but what’s happening on the slopes? Are women skiing with their purses and guys are skiing past them and snatching them? Are the gansta's putting rocks in their snowballs and attacking innocents in a "turf" war? I want to keep an open mind on this so someone convince me this isn’t just an excuse to ski for free and go after some easy (as well as costly and useless) pot possession charges.

Apparently our Courts and Crown Counsel are lying idle anyway – all caught up now that the Bacon murder is solved :wink:

Return to “Canada”