Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

diggerdick
Board Meister

Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Post by diggerdick »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/s ... ml?cmp=rss Alberta RCMP officers are strapping on skis and snowboards to patrol the slopes at Lake Louise and Nakiska, two resorts west of Calgary.

The officers, who are in uniform and carrying weapons, are focusing their attention on substance abuse on the chairlifts and gondolas.

"It's going to deter people from bringing narcotics or have that second look of doing something on the ski hill because they know there is going to be a police presence," said RCMP Cpl. Jeff Campbell, the detachment commander in Lake Louise.

The officers will also be keeping an eye out for possible thefts from the ski racks.

Not all the skiers and boarders in the Powder Keg Lodge at Lake Louise are welcoming the news.

"It makes sense. It sucks, but it makes sense," said one visitor to the hill.

"I would think that more recklessness comes from people coming in and drinking at lunch time and then going back out … Are you going to give somebody a ticket for drinking and then skiing? … It seems like a very slippery slope to me."

"I feel like the chairlift is my time to smoke reefer."

RCMP made one minor drug seizure of marijuana in December.
Officer training

There used to be a similar patrol in operation 20 years ago in Lake Louise, but it stopped for unknown reasons.

Cpl. Campbell says this program is based on a similar patrol operating at Whistler B.C.

The officers, who volunteer their time, have to go through a certification program and are also trained in first aid.

Two officers will be on patrol Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays as well as holidays including March break and Easter weekend.

RCMP hope to expand the program once they have more officers certified.
Attachments
Screen-Shot-2013-02-14-at-2.11.18-PM.png
THINK for yourself - Dont be lead-
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Post by Sn0man »

Lame.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

They have to volunteer their time??? Why aren't they getting paid if they are working and in uniform?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

grammafreddy wrote:They have to volunteer their time??? Why aren't they getting paid if they are working and in uniform?

Because it's a @#$%ing farce.
These cops are out for a free day on the slopes...period.

I hope the tree wells take care of 'em.

Soon...people will sport slingshots and paintball guns...hit 'em in the back of the head as they veer right...then you go left.

:dyinglaughing:
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

grammafreddy wrote:They have to volunteer their time??? Why aren't they getting paid if they are working and in uniform?

Well they do get free Snowboarding time.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Re: Police Officers on Ski Patrol

Post by KL3-Something »

There are cops patrolling in many areas where there are high numbers of people and it is impossible to patrol by conventional means. There are cops in boats on the water, on bikes in parks and on trails, by snowmobile and ATV in the back country and in helicopters and airplanes to name a few.

And it isn't just about busting pot smokers. That is just the ridiculous angle the our left-wing CBC is taking to cause a stir.

The mountain owners want them there. Instead of paying for extra patrols the trade off is that the members don't have to pay for the lift ticket. If you look around you'll see them on the local mountains as well. While it may be a new thing at Lake Louise and Nakiska, it is nothing new in other parts of the country.

Some may think it's lame, and that's fine, but the non-chairlift-reefer-smoking crowd is actually happy to see the presence up there.

Personally I am not a fan of hitting the slopes wearing a kevlar vest and a gun belt while still tied to the radio on my own time, so you won't see me up there in uniform.
Last edited by KL3-Something on Feb 17th, 2013, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
diggerdick
Board Meister

Post by diggerdick »

Yes, and the British Columbia citizens feel so safe and proud By the daily News The RCMP Generates.

This just looks like a cheap publicity stunt,That has backfired.

People want to be protected Not spied on every move they make.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Oh? And you speak on behalf of the majority do you?
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If people are on the slopes, or anywhere else in public, and are under the influence of anything that affects their judgment they should be stopped. Before they hurt an innocent bystander. That's one of the reasons we have Police in the first place.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

"Graham Adder
Because it's a @#$%ing farce.

These cops are out for a free day on the slopes...period.

I hope the tree wells take care of 'em.

Soon...people will sport slingshots and paintball guns...hit 'em in the back of the head as they veer right...then you go left.

:dyinglaughing:

I'm not saying I agree as I too believe it is a farce and will likely see it on AIRFARCE or This Hour has 22 min.

However, think about it a day off and your going to dress in your uniform and go skiing. Not my way of spending time off for sure!

Graham...you have shown common sense in the past.

This maybe more of a poor attempt to please the families who ski there. But not how I think it should be done.
diggerdick
Board Meister

Post by diggerdick »

I can just see some thirtysomething couple Going up the chairlift Looking at the scenery And smoking a joint in a peaceful Restful manner

out Jumps snidely whiplash Canadian hero to Make a arrest.

We have now been protected . Meanwhile in downtown Kelowna Crystal meth and crack cocaine runs rampant.
Attachments
dudleydoright1.JPG
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

It's a huge waste of resources. You can go to a pub and have a beer before going on the slopes. They should just give them an area to use so they don't disturb others.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I think it's sad to wish a tree well gets anyone let alone someone who is capable of rendering assistance. The point is to have a presence - not their own ski slope.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

diggerdick wrote:I can just see some thirtysomething couple Going up the chairlift Looking at the scenery And smoking a joint in a peaceful Restful manner

out Jumps snidely whiplash Canadian hero to Make a arrest.

We have now been protected . Meanwhile in downtown Kelowna Crystal meth and crack cocaine runs rampant.

How often do you think that happens? How often has that happened in the past? Since minor possession is not a crime in BC......"Do YOU really believe that: these are the targets of the RCMP?" REALLY?

What a totally outlandish, concept YOU have.

ARE you really serious?
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

I would say, since pot isn't legal, people on the slopes should show some discretion and likely not ever get caught.

However, I find this over all quite amusing. I can't blame the officers wearing their uniform for free skiing, plus it does put a police presence on the hill (for issues perhaps other than weed as well) It doesn't cost taxpayers anything and business owners get a low cost police existence.

I hope on april fools they sit on the side of the slopes with a radar gun and flag people down for speeding. That would be delightful, then they just tell guys their speed.

Return to “Canada”