Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Veovis wrote:So as long as they chase people breaking laws, like drunk driving you are ok with it. When did weed and other narcotics become legal? Or is it only if they break laws you personally approve of.

I get you don't think weed is that big a deal, neither do I really, but it's still not legal and the benefit vs tiny cost (if any) is worth it in this instance. You don't have to like it or support it, but it doesn't mean the RCMP are doing anything wrong.

Of all the criminal activity that they could choose to pursue on their "volunteer time" - chasing people smoking dope (the most insignificant drug charge you could possibly attain) on a ski hill is about the least deserving thing that a squad car and an RCMP uniform could be used for. ESPECIALLY being it is on the private property of a profit making enterprise.

The RCMP are doing something wrong by condoning this. It is absurd.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Cornelius you do realize that the police force contains people who ski and board, so regardless of whether they are in uniform or not, there will be police up at the hill on their time off. I'm pretty sure their roll up at the hill will be more of a passive one anyways. You're choosing to focus on one part of their activities up there instead of looking at the whole picture, so quit complaining about one detail (and even still, that one detail pertains to an illegal activity).

Regarding safety, having visible officers up there makes it easy to request their assistance in an emergency or in the event of a theft (there are tonnes and tonnes of condos and some boards/skis are worth over $1000 for the planks alone). Not to mention deterring people from drinking or smoking prior to heading home from the hill, which I've seen numerous times in the parking lots at the end of the day.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

underscore wrote:Cornelius you do realize that the police force contains people who ski and board, so regardless of whether they are in uniform or not, there will be police up at the hill on their time off.

Nothing wrong with that.

underscore wrote:You're choosing to focus on one part of their activities up there instead of looking at the whole picture, so quit complaining about one detail (and even still, that one detail pertains to an illegal activity

One detail? Everything they are going to do up there (or deter) could be done at the owner of the ski hills expense with a few strategically placed cameras that would provide video "evidence" that could be passed on to RCMP to assist them in pursuing any required charges.

A police presence is over-rated in terms of minimizing offences - the vancouver riot should be a case in point.

underscore wrote:Regarding safety, having visible officers up there makes it easy to request their assistance in an emergency or in the event of a theft (there are tonnes and tonnes of condos and some boards/skis are worth over $1000 for the planks alone).

This statement is so far reaching...... tonnes of condos justifies your argument? $1000+ planks? My car is worth more than that - maybe we should encourage them to patrol orchard park parking lot to deter b and E's or theft...... the list is endless as where they could/should volunteer their time.

The point you are missing is that this is a private enterprise using a publicly funded police force to enhance their mountains safety perception. Its not right.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/rcmp-takes-sn ... -1.1158923

A patrol program that was popular in the 1990s is making a comeback on the slopes at Lake Louise.
Eight ski trained RCMP officers are now patrolling the slopes at Lake Louise and officers say they'll have a presence at the resort on weekends throughout the ski season.
Corporal Jeff Campbell has worn the uniform for 17 years. Now he's wearing it on his day off at Lake Louise and his snow board is the newest piece of gear in his arsenal.
The officers are on the hill on weekends assisting resorts with patrols.
“We're on the hill not because of any incident that was pre-existing or anything like that, we're simply up here to increase the enjoyment and the family atmosphere at Lake Louise mountain resort,” said Campbell.

http://www.canmoreleader.com/2013/02/08 ... ake-louise

One of the common complaints (the ski hill) gets from visitors is people using narcotics in the gondola and the use of alcohol on the lifts, and general complaints of reckless skiers,” Campbell said. “We do regular foot patrols up at the ski hill for anti-theft patrols at the ski racks, but this is something more.”

Years ago it wasn’t uncommon to see uniformed officers skiing at the hill, “it was very successful from what I can gather, but for whatever reason the program fizzled and went away.”

Quite possible the complaints went up.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Well, there's no point responding to anything Cornelius posts now because it's obvious he just hates cops and everything they do. No amount of common sense reasoning will change his mind.

I welcome this program... there's only upside to what it brings to our ski hills. I commend anyone who volunteers to make their community a safer and better place. Others in this thread may look down on volunteering, but I respect anyone willing to give freely of their time away from work.

We'd have a much better world if we had more people who volunteered their time to their communities, rather than people who despised those who do.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Jonrox wrote:Well, there's no point responding to anything Cornelius posts now because it's obvious he just hates cops and everything they do. No amount of common sense reasoning will change his mind.

Wow - you sure like to add your own spin on things. However do you you read into what I said as me hating cops? Its you who is choosing to avoid the real issues that I have brought up. I welcome common sense and so far this topic is lacking in it.

Do not misconstrue what I have said to read as I am against volunteering - I am against corporate exploitation of our public police force. I have often heard that police are not allowed to accept "gifts" as they may be misconstrued as bribery (apparantly a free lift pass does not apply).

Jonrox wrote:We'd have a much better world if we had more people who volunteered their time to their communities,

Agreed - this is not the point though.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Corneliousrooster wrote:I am against corporate exploitation of our public police force. I have often heard that police are not allowed to accept "gifts" as they may be misconstrued as bribery (apparantly a free lift pass does not apply).

It's not a gift so not bribery. It's not exploitation as they are there to assist the public.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Corneliousrooster wrote:Do not misconstrue what I have said to read as I am against volunteering - I am against corporate exploitation of our public police force. I have often heard that police are not allowed to accept "gifts" as they may be misconstrued as bribery (apparantly a free lift pass does not apply).

NO you are against RCMP making pot smokers show discretion for illegal activities. A waived fee for a lift pass is not a bribe or "gift" as you wish to make it out. It is a gesture of co-operation.

Or the RCMP could ask for a few hundred thousand dollars for the services provided. Instead, really really nice RCMP officers have agreed to provide this service on their own time. Strangely the owners see value in this SINCE COMPLAINTS HAVE OCCURRED, and appreciate the volunteered time and instead of saying, "you can volunteer for $900.00 a year" they said "thanks"

What a rude bunch of the public working together for the general benefit. (not he pot smokers or drug users or jerks....the general public)
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Volunteering for community's benefit = good. Making disparaging comments about volunteering for community's benefit = bad.

/thread
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Jonrox wrote:I welcome this program... there's only upside to what it brings to our ski hills. I commend anyone who volunteers to make their community a safer and better place. Others in this thread may look down on volunteering, but I respect anyone willing to give freely of their time away from work.

So a "cell phone in a doctors office" is a stupid rule - but this rule you like and support.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

SurplusElect wrote:So a "cell phone in a doctors office" is a stupid rule - but this rule you like and support.

You're right, I do support the law. I'm against people stealing skis and snowboards, and dangerously using drugs and alcohol on the slopes. Having cops on the hills who are volunteering their time certainly doesn't hurt anyone - there's only upside to it.

I'm fine with people drinking and smoking weed if it doesn't endanger anyone else. On the hill, being drunk or high is dangerous to the user and everyone else on the hill.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

The idea that a person high on pot is a danger is as laughable as a person being dangerous on coffee.

The cops are not out there giving breathalyzers, which pose the real danger...they are out there sniffing chairlifts...based kn complaints from out of towners.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Too much coffee isn't a good thing - gives people the jitters.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Fancy wrote:Too much coffee isn't a good thing - gives people the jitters.

Indeed.

I worry more about drivers on coffee than I worry about drivers on pot. You're not going to see a hippie road raging and rushing red lights.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Nah, they just cruise on through them.

Return to “Canada”