Companies breaking labour laws

GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Companies breaking labour laws

Post by GrooveTunes »

All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Re: Companies breaking labour laws

Post by SurplusElect »

Lots of local companies doing the "contractor" scam. Funny that a company as big as Shaw is doing it as well.

You don't work for businesses anymore - you become vulnerable partners with them in which you share risk but do not share reward. They have a bad week - so do you. No tax is paid, no benefits, medical, sick days. Total disposable worker.

LOL @ Shaw
Katfish1
Fledgling

Post by Katfish1 »

I guess I could research it, but Im going to ask...what about part-time employees working full time hours, without full benefits, or holidays, sick time? for years....
It seems there is a need for the full time position, but they hire part-time with full time hours, without the full benefits of a full time position.
is this allowed?
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.ॐ
John Lennon
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Benefits and sick time are not required under the labour code. Vacation pay and vacation time off are, however.

Some companies claim to offer benefits only to manage clever workarounds to avoid actually providing them. *bleep*.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

I know of many sketchy contractor situations, it's sad.
Last edited by SurplusElect on Mar 12th, 2013, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

SurplusElect wrote:Lots of local companies doing the "contractor" scam. Funny that a company as big as Shaw is doing it as well.

A lot of high tech companies do the same thing. My mom has been a contractor with a large software company for years. Though she was offered a full time position after a while. Bad things? Not sure if the contract will be renewed 6 months from now. Good things - you can deduct a whole lot of things from your taxes as you operate a business now. She actually made more money this way as companies are willing to pay for the flexibility of having contractors, not employees. Lots of people actually like it this way.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Katfish1 wrote:I guess I could research it, but Im going to ask...what about part-time employees working full time hours, without full benefits, or holidays, sick time? for years....

Benefits = employer's choice, doesn't depend on your work load.
Sick time = employer's choice, doesn't depend on your work load.
Holidays = regulated by labor code, you might be entitled to it. I believe you have to work 15 days out of 30 preceding.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Holidays = regulated by labor code, you might be entitled to it. I believe you have to work 15 days out of 30 preceding.

Means nothing. Thats the whole point of the thread.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Captain Awesome wrote:Bad things? Not sure if the contract will be renewed 6 months from now. Good things - you can deduct a whole lot of things from your taxes as you operate a business now.

-can be let go/fired for any reason (no recourse)
-no EI
-no benefits
-no holidays/stats
-no vacation
-no pension
-no investment in the employee (treated accordingly)
-"take it or leave it" dealings with company (take a single day off - your job may not be there when you get back)

I am in "the high tech" field. I see this scam all the time. Unless the "tax savings" offset potential benefits, 2(+)weeks paid vacation a year, setting aside money for when you just magically lose your job one day and the monetary value of being treated as a "valued employee" - the only person this benefits is the employer because they skip out on payroll taxes and EI, and do not have to train or invest anything into the employee. Disposable worker.

You can't write off as much as people say. That's the other part of the scam. Let me guess- "home office". LOL.

Not to mention if your mom only works for one person and has set hours, she is technically not a contractor. Actually, she certainly isn't one if that is the case. Nice scam.
Last edited by SurplusElect on Mar 12th, 2013, 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Katfish1 wrote:I guess I could research it, but Im going to ask...what about part-time employees working full time hours, without full benefits, or holidays, sick time? for years....
It seems there is a need for the full time position, but they hire part-time with full time hours, without the full benefits of a full time position.
is this allowed?

It is, even in Unionized workplaces this happens. At the end of the day, the company still has the final say on how the company is run as long as it doesn't violate any laws or the Collective Agreement.
Captain Awesome wrote:Holidays = regulated by labor code, you might be entitled to it. I believe you have to work 15 days out of 30 preceding.

For Stat Holidays yes, and that also applies to Unions depending on the Collective Agreement. Infact, unless the Collective Agreement says otherwise, you'll have the same rules and regulations as everyone else in the Province when it comes to labour codes.
GrooveTunes wrote:Means nothing. Thats the whole point of the thread.

Nah, the whole point of the thread is to Unionize because a company is breaking laws and the Union will make everything warm and fuzzy because its a Union.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

SurplusElect wrote:I know of a "contractor Secretary" here in town.

40 hours a week, set hours, single employer, cant take sick days, no benefits, no holidays, stats - no taxes deducted.

They are apparently paid "by the paperwork they process" yet this person gets the same paycheque amount every two weeks.

Classified as a "contractor". Employer wont hire actual "employees". Employer is a millionaire.

This person is clearly an employee and when Revenue Canada finds out they will be forced to pay every penny back that is owed. This is not legal. I worked in an office with dual track workers, some employees and some contractors and we had very strict lines between the two.

This can help you decide if you are an employee or a subcontractor http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/rc4110/rc4110-e.html
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Dizzy1 wrote:Nah, the whole point of the thread is to Unionize because a company is breaking laws and the Union will make everything warm and fuzzy because its a Union.

Actually the point of this thread is showing what extremely profitable companies are doing to avoid paying their employees properly.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Do NOT try to guess posters real life identities. Don't do that again. - Jennylives
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

*try again without the personal attack/Jo*
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

SurplusElect wrote:Actually the point of this thread is showing what extremely profitable companies are doing to avoid paying their employees properly.

If that were the point, then there would be no need to post this in the OP ...

GrooveTunes wrote:Time to unionize.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Canada”