Canada's overall best places to live in 2013

NAB
Buddha of the Board

Canada's overall best places to live in 2013

Post by NAB »

Of 200 cities surveyed, Calgary takes #1 spot with Saanich BC the only BC location to make the top 10 at 7th place. Some other BC locations are North Vancouver at 21st place, Victoria in 40th spot, Vancouver at 52nd place, Kamloops at 64th spot, Kelowna at 76th, Nanaimo at 88th, Penticton at 109th, Vernon at 116th, Surrey at 126th, Terrace at 155th spot, Abbotsford at 174, and Prince Rupert at 193rd. Bottom of the list of 200 goes to Lachute, Que.

The factors considered are quite interesting, particularly # of doctors per 1000 population (what the heck is going on in Cranbrook??) Also, average house prices.

http://www.moneysense.ca/best-places-2013/

Nab
Static
Guru

Re: Canada's overall best places to live in 2013

Post by Static »

Kind of kills whatever justification the Valley has for its house prices. :dyinglaughing:
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

I would think the house prices are part of the ranking reasons.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

The survey is interesting in view of the fact that Canada has been voted, by people from all across the other countries of the world, as the single most attractive country to which people from the other countries surveyed would most like to move. Number one was our Medical and retirement systems ... which were likely NOT a part of the independent Town or City Survey.
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

Moved to Kelowna forum
Last edited by EdCase on Mar 23rd, 2013, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The surveys from Moneysense are nonsense. The more expensive centers are more expensive precisely because they are the best places to live.

How many Vancouverites would retire to Winnipeg? My bet is the number of Winnipeggers that would like to live in Vancouver (money aside) would be a tad higher than Vancouverites who would want to live in Winnipeg. Even if it looks like the Jets are going to finish higher than the Canucks.

http://www.mercer.com/articles/quality-of-living-survey-report-2011 about says it all. Vancouver, if you are a true urbanite, is the 5th best city to live in worldwide. Calgary comes in at 32nd, just above Helsinki. Edmonton and Winnipeg don't make the cut.

Mind you, if you're a young feller looking to make a good buck, Edmonton rises in the listings.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Since the survey and findings was carried out by Money Sense I think it safe to assume that the opportunity for younger people to get started in life would reflect a major part of the survey questions. Past generations, including my own generation, had to go elsewhere (off the beaten track) to get a financial start. I do not think it is much different today.

Return to “Canada”