oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Wiretap order needed to seize text messages, SCoC rules

Post by oneh2obabe »

Judgment overturns lower court ruling against Telus

CBC News
Posted: Mar 27, 2013 10:00 AM ET
Last Updated: Mar 27, 2013 9:58 AM ET

Police need a wiretap order to seize text messages from your wireless provider, Canada's highest court has ruled.

The judges of the Supreme Court of Canada ruled 5-2 in favour of Telus Communications on Thursday, overturning a lower court ruling that required the company to hand over copies of two of its customers' text messages after it was served with a general warrant.

Telus had appealed the ruling. It argued that seizing the messages would constitute "interception" of the communication and would therefore require a wiretap warrant, which is more difficult to get than a general warrant due to special privacy provisions in the Criminal Code protecting private communications.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story ... ision.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Re: Wiretap order needed to seize text messages, SCoC rules

Post by KL3-Something »

The article above is misleading. But I guess that's what you get when the priority is reporting it first as opposed to accurately.

They have since updated their story in the link with more accurate information.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Wasn't home when the article was updated but there was nothing stopping you from providing the link.

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

This is good news!
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

oneh2obabe wrote:Wasn't home when the article was updated but there was nothing stopping you from providing the link.

Oh no. Not what I meant. Your original link directs to the same story. But when you first posted they were in such a hurry to be first that they skimped on the accuracy of the information.

Just a criticism of the fast-food media we have these days.

I'm ok with the decision (not that anyone would really have a choice in the matter). It makes sense.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

It is unfortunate that most taxpayers do not know and will likely never have cause to find out the resource requirements of the police as they apply to a General Search Warrant rather than a Wiretap. Start with the fact that almost any police officer has the knowledge to compile and type out an application for a search warrant.

A wiretap application on the other hand MUST be handled by a specially appointed Agent or lawyer. To get a wire tap the police must not only identify every aspect of the investigation IN MINUTE DETAIL that has taken place to date but must also clearly show that EVERY OTHER MEANS OF INVESTIGATION HAS BEEN TRIED AND HAS FAILED or that every other means of investigation is likely to fail ... an immensely time and resource consuming task. Many such applications (that can run to 100 pages long), although overseen by a special federally appointed lawyer and signed by a Judge' are often NOT ACCEPTED INTO EVIDENCE BY THE TRIAL JUDGE OR APPEAL COURT JUDGE.

Having been involved in submitting several such applications in years past I would estimate that whereas one officer can research and obtain a Normal (CC) or Narcotic (F&DA) in about half a day a full Wiretap Authorization Application can take 10 or 12 officers 2 or three weeks to justify within the terms laid down by law.

Added file loads from situations like this are directly responsible for the police accumulating file loads that are beyond their ability to handle.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

So that's good, right?
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

Don't let this decision lull you into a false sense of security , just because a wiretap order is needed does not mean the powers that be are not looking at your messages.

I remember a few years back in a small town I lived in ,evidence being given during a murder trial showed that police had 120 illegal phone taps.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

good, if that means a murderer went to jail because of it, i am ok with that
but your all about the bad guys going free
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

the truth wrote:good, if that means a murderer went to jail because of it, i am ok with that

Just a reminder to some of our slower thinking friends to always watch what you say when talking on the phone, what you say on the internet... you are being monitored.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

who cares if there watching.i do not
if you are not making drug deals or whatever on your phone, and not downloading crap from the internet that you should not.
they have other people to look out for,not some average joe doing nothing wrong
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

the truth wrote:good, if that means a murderer went to jail because of it, i am ok with that

So what's the deal? You don't care about your rights, don't understand them or what it costs to keep them?
If I had to make a guess all three because people that do understand don't fork their rights over on whims like you do.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Ah, but if the police were using illegal wiretaps, there's the chance the case has been/could be thrown out or used in favour of the guilty in sentencing.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To cutter7 ...

I am at a complete loss regarding your comment about the "120 illegal wire taps that you allege that you somehow became aware of in your small town". Either I do not understand what you mean when you refer to a wiretap or your information is grossly inaccurate. Do you not know that it would take a semi trailer full of electronics and two busloads of operators, intercept people and transcribers working for a months, if not years to set up, operate and take down 120 wiretap lines ... MILLIONS OF DOLLARS.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

the truth wrote:who cares if there watching.i do not
if you are not making drug deals or whatever on your phone, and not downloading crap from the internet that you should not.
they have other people to look out for,not some average joe doing nothing wrong

Where do you live Truth? What colour is your car? How old are you? How much alcohol do you drink? what sorts of things are your friends into? Ever been to the strip clubs? Do you smoke tobacco? Ever smoked anything else? What are your favourite shows on TV? Are any of these things r rated? Have you ever fantasized about hurting someone? Who do you talk to on the phone?

You have no problem answering any of these things right? You have nothing to hide.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump

Return to “Canada”