Canada as we knew it is gone

Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: Canada as we knew it is gone

Post by Nebula »

This issue reminds me of when the feds wanted to make changes to how 'natural' products were regulated. All of a sudden people all over the country were spitting nails because "cops will be able to go into your house and arrest you for giving your kids vitamins." Big overreaction.

The comparison to Hitler was sure to come up; such a tired, ridiculous analogy. The OP's comment that the bill paves the way for RCMP to torture suspects is also overboard.

I don't like to see rights infringed upon. On the other hand, there really are terrorists out there. How does one deal with them if not this?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
CorkSoaker
Board Meister

Post by CorkSoaker »

Nebula wrote:On the other hand, there really are terrorists out there. How does one deal with them if not this?

That is one of the major dilemmas in democratic countries and the response can be very polarizing politically. Does a government maintain civil liberties and freedoms and run the risk of being perceived as ineffective or "weak" in dealing with the issues and potentially lose legitimacy, or, does a government restrict freedoms and rights running the risk of losing legitimacy. Either way has the potential to be damaging politically.

The threats from terrorism are real, of course. They have been for decades. But how big is the threat? I don't know for sure but almost all of the literature I have read concludes that the actual threat is very low. There are much bigger threats to our lives and safety, and to the lives and safety of our loved ones, that we encounter everyday such as driving our cars.

I suppose what I am getting at is are these new laws even necessary? They weren't needed to thwart the VIA rail threat and I haven't heard of a case where the current laws were ineffective to warrant more legislation.

I am not an expert on this subject at all, but just as much as those who feel their rights are being eroded are labelled as being paranoid and overreacting, it is possible that the same could be said for those cheer-leading the "need" for new and tougher laws.
Last edited by CorkSoaker on Apr 29th, 2013, 2:24 am, edited 6 times in total.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.

It is often said that truth is the first casualty of any war
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

If we make laws tougher it wont stop terrorism just to make Steve look like he`is doing his job . Unfortunately his voter base are the old ,the thick and the scared and feel we need these laws. We need to address the causes of terrorism not deal like they are spawn from hell. By appearing more American and hooking our wagon to their horse we will only bring the cross hairs upon ourselves.
Go ahead Steve commit sociology. By following America in its terrorist policy we are committing suicide.
Peace be with you.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Nebula wrote:I don't like to see rights infringed upon. On the other hand, there really are terrorists out there. How does one deal with them if not this?

How do you stop someones idea and anger in their mind - when all they need is a few hundred dollars and dedication?

Even under marital law - terrorists can operate proficiently.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Are there people out there that still think we have enemies because they hate our way of life?
It couldn't possibly have anything to do with subjugation of the Middle East could it?
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Nebula wrote:I don't like to see rights infringed upon. On the other hand, there really are terrorists out there. How does one deal with them if not this?

It's a matter of perspective, I'm sure if you ask the Iraqis who the terrorists are they'll reply "the Americans", they are responsible for a 150,000 civilian deaths. That makes me hate Americans too-(More aptly, those responsible for the power games nations play with our lives but I'm sure if my family was among that 150,000 my rage and hate would overpower my rational thoughts and grouping Americans and those responsible would be an easy wash to make).
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

That's the crux of it, right there. The answer is in how we handle foreign affairs etc.

New, tougher laws don't prevent much at all. What it does do, however, is 1) shape politicians' public image/rhetoric, 2) infringe on freedoms/rights, 3) cultivate more fear, and finally 4) gives government more power. (larger government)

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Your bias suits you.
james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

To what the. I did not your were a US basher. Shows to go ya how ignorant some people can be, Since when do the Iraqis think that the an Americans are the terrorists? I suppose some who are sympahetic to the taliban might be , But when The Iraqis were begging the UN to send in troops to protect the majority of them from the taliban. I guess they figured to UN would send in troops from a real powerful nation like uh maybe Greenland. LOL if it wasn't for the US and help from Canada as well the Taliban would have taken over Iraq. And they still very well might.You really should study your history. Heck, If it wasn't for the US WE wouldn't have a country,to call our own either.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

<face palm> ^^
Wow,
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

james-d wrote:To what the. I did not your were a US basher. Shows to go ya how ignorant some people can be, Since when do the Iraqis think that the an Americans are the terrorists? I suppose some who are sympahetic to the taliban might be , But when The Iraqis were begging the UN to send in troops to protect the majority of them from the taliban. I guess they figured to UN would send in troops from a real powerful nation like uh maybe Greenland. LOL if it wasn't for the US and help from Canada as well the Taliban would have taken over Iraq. And they still very well might.You really should study your history. Heck, If it wasn't for the US WE wouldn't have a country,to call our own either.

Wow is right. Perhaps before telling someone he should study history, you should.

Taliban = Afghanistan, not Iraq.

Iraqis have every right to be *bleep* at the United States, as do quite a few other countries. The U.S. is a glutinous war machine that feels justified sending troops wherever they please.

As far as Canada, we've done fairly good despite the U.S.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

WhatThe wrote:Are there people out there that still think we have enemies because they hate our way of life?

Blaming terrorism on our actions is like blaming rape on the wearing of miniskirts. True, every nation has likely wronged others, but this is no excuse for hatred. Israel, as far as I can tell, does not hate Arabs or Muslims even though they are attacked day in and day out.

You raise a good point in that it is an important question to answer as to why they hate us (if they in fact do).

They don't necessarily hate us as much as they believe that we need to submit to the will of Allah. It is blasphemy against Allah for any country that falls under Dar al-Harb to not join Dar al-Islam, especially if there are any Muslims living in that country. Jihad, be it the violent or non-violent variety, is done to fulfull the will of Allah. Extreme Islam teaches that killing infidels should be done, not to defend the House of Islam, but to bring Dar al-Harb, or the House of War, under submission of Islam.

Moderates within Islam do not believe in killing in the name of Jihad, rather they believe that bringing us under the house of Islam can be achieved by slow, methodical, and peaceful means (eg. lobbying for Sharia laws such as halal meat laws, putting up minarets, which have recently been banned by the Swiss government, purposely leaching off the system, or having lots of kids).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDfACr-y4s
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Glacier wrote:Blaming terrorism on our actions is like blaming rape on the wearing of miniskirts

Men who want to rape women do it because it serves a sexual need to themselves. It is a individual, unprovoked attack. Person\person.

Terrorists are fighting "back" against actions to themselves or their society/culture/family. Person fighting against a regime, country/political movement.

The Germans called the French resistance terrorism.

If you punch someone in the face, you can't call yourself a victim when you get a punch back.
Last edited by SurplusElect on Apr 29th, 2013, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

WhatThe wrote: ..., imagine, being called a bozo by someone who literally can't construct grammatically correct sentences.

LOLOLOL – you gotta admit, that is great ironic comedy (I love irony).
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

james-d wrote:To what the. I did not your were a US basher. Shows to go ya how ignorant some people can be, Since when do the Iraqis think that the an Americans are the terrorists? I suppose some who are sympahetic to the taliban might be , But when The Iraqis were begging the UN to send in troops to protect the majority of them from the taliban. I guess they figured to UN would send in troops from a real powerful nation like uh maybe Greenland. LOL if it wasn't for the US and help from Canada as well the Taliban would have taken over Iraq. And they still very well might.You really should study your history. Heck, If it wasn't for the US WE wouldn't have a country,to call our own either.

Yet another classic example for the requirement of an aptitude test prior to obtianing the right to vote.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

and now the guy that vetted bill s-7 claims he didn't actually know what he was doing.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... e12506212/
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev

Return to “Canada”