Canada as we knew it is gone

GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Re: Canada as we knew it is gone

Post by GoStumpy »

I for one am glad they've done this.

It does not affect me or anyone I know in any way.

But it does remove the 'you can't touch me' mentality of some horrible people. Our justice system is laughably slow to do anything, meanwhile the criminals always get away.. They've removed one of the barriers, and I applaud that.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

removed off topic - Jennylives
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:www, no charge is needed, if they suspect your neighbour of thinking about a terrorist act, they can pick you up. refuse to talk, refuse to comply with conditions such as not "communicating with a particular person. An individual who refuses to abide by the conditions could be jailed for up to one year."

A couple of questions for you.

Firstly have you had the opportunity to read what the actual bill states?

The current law, "Conspiracy" might work in many cases where two or more persons plan to commit an unlawful act. I like that section...

Secondly, Is there any case where what you are saying has occurred or is this what you fear may occur?
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

ken7, i'll cite the argument from opposition in commons, the 'uncle albert' situation.
i have not read the full text of the 'act', but i have read numerous articles and editorials criticizing it.
our rights are being stripped, we have lost freedoms basic to universal human rights.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/04/25 ... -hearings/
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/04/24 ... 49859.html
and the "not a time to commit sociology" meme is away and flying.
phoenix 2000

Post by phoenix 2000 »

Governments make laws.That's what they think they are there to do. Over time those laws will start to infringe on liberty. If citizens aren't alert, within a relatively short time liberty becomes a word in the dictionary that refers to some other situation. These laws actually got a toehold when Trudeau was in with his response to the FLQ kidnapping and murder. Even then they were later shown to have been abused by the police and petty bureaucrats with grudges.

Admittedly that put an end to the FLQ problems but the emergency laws weren't needed to do that. If the rational is that they can prevent such events, well the RCMP wanted to arrest those two now in custody months ago and was pressured not to do so, so the timing now as rationale for these laws is questionable to say the least. And now no MP is supposed to talk to the RCMP for whatever reason without going through the government first? What in the world is up with that?!!

The problem is that people say; well, it doesn't affect me or anyone I know. The answer to that is...for now. Hitler was quite successful bringing in laws such as this which gradually got more and more draconian, all for the most understandable of reasons. Those laws also rested on public acceptance associated with fear which was encouraged and fostered by the government. We all know ..well anyone who hasn't been dropped on his head several times as a child knows.. where that ended up.

To paraphrase the bitter story of the time:

"First they came for that family down the street who never did learn to speak the language properly. well, I never SAW anything wrong but I always wondered about some of the people they used to have there at parties, and they aren't even Christians. They must have broken some laws or they wouldn't have taken them away. Then they took my barber which surprised me but they must have known something I didn't know. What? you're telling me I have to go with you? Where?? Why? I've done nothing wrong! Why won't anyone help me?? My neighbors know I am a good citizen.....help.....
Last edited by phoenix 2000 on Apr 26th, 2013, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

[quote="GoStumpy"]I for one am glad they've done this.

It does not affect me or anyone I know in any way./quote]
It may not, but in order to protect your own rights and freedoms you must stand and fight for your neighbours whether you know them directly or not. That is the only way to maintain freedom; it is not done by fighting for those you love, it is accomplished by fighting for those you don't.

The men who died on battlefields for our freedom did not know us personally, yet they gave their lives because it is right, because it, in the end, is what provides freedom for those they love.

As for your other point-freedom has a cost, that cost is the blood of the innocent, and that blood shed is the reason not to let freedom be given away by those that don't appreciate or understand the true price of the only birthright we have; to live free of interference of others that seek dominion. Freedom is precious and no authority has dominion over it, it is ours to defend and too easily forsaken.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Phoenix2000's post.
+1
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

WhenWhatWho wrote:Like I said, and read this very slowly and carefuly this time, if you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear but your own misinformed thoughts and imagination.

No need to tell me how to read, my comprehension is quite keen thank you. If you honestly believe that abuse of power does not happen or that people are not steamrolled by govt on a regular basis then you are quite simply naive. I would suggest to you read history because human behavior has not changed because we have the Internet or thoughts and imagination to the contrary. I will thank you for diligently not standing up for the rights of yourself or your neighbours. Just in case you don't understand that was sarcasm since you apperently think govt is beyond reproach.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Unfortunately, this type of law is a reaction to failed immigration policy and enforcement. Rather than go after the real problem - which is political dynamite, we get this window dressing that has no effect.

http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/calls-review-canada-deportation-laws-after-train-plot-arrests-5419133

So we tried to deport one of these clowns, but...well that wouldn't have been nice would it?

If the Aussies can have a center for asylum seekers, why can't we?

I know that sounds awfully right-wing, but I maintain the protection of Canadian freedoms and citizenry trumps being nice to asylum seekers. Our "pollyanna' approach to this issue is proving to have too high a cost. Tough issue, but what we are doing now ain't working, and we have to recognize that there are bad actors out there who are quite willing to abuse our largess. Telling the likes of Raed Jaser, "now you be good" and releasing them into society is just plain stupid.

Raed Jaser could have become a resident at such a facility until other arrangements were made.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Trigger69
Fledgling

Post by Trigger69 »

SurplusElect wrote:
Tell that to Maher Arar

...or the people that were visited by secret police because they didn't want the Olympics in Vancouver.

...or any of the 1000's of people illegally detained at the G20

Or the dead girls parents in Boston. Oh wait....
taktics

Post by taktics »

GoStumpy wrote:I for one am glad they've done this.

It does not affect me or anyone I know in any way.

But it does remove the 'you can't touch me' mentality of some horrible people. Our justice system is laughably slow to do anything, meanwhile the criminals always get away.. They've removed one of the barriers, and I applaud that.

^totally agree
james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

HAHAHAHAHA I laugh at you guys Where there is smoke there is fire.PERIOD .If you think the cops have nothin betteer to do then run around arresting people for nothing ,then torturing them ,You Have kaka for brains and really should get some counselling.

I wish I had enough money to help you bozos who want to leave Canada Leave. We do not need your types or want you here. Why don't you do something worth while, become a journalist and expose all this corruption and torture you accuse the police of..... Whiners.,,..
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Agree.

We can boil it down to, Canada as we knew it is STILL HERE, but unfortunately it has it's share of crazy people :(

People reading too far into new laws isn't healthy!
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

One tries to reason but it falls on deaf ears. Then the insults, imagine, being called a bozo by someone who literally can't construct grammatically correct sentences. Whatever, ignore the points and history.

Return to “Canada”