New blood donor policy for gay men.

NAB
Buddha of the Board

New blood donor policy for gay men.

Post by NAB »

Just when I thought I had reached a stage in life where I was fairly certain there was very little our government or the media could do or say that could seriously surprise me any more.... along comes something like this......

"Gay men will be allowed to donate blood under new policy in Canada, but only those who abstain from sex"

http://www.theprovince.com/news/will+al ... story.html

Nab
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: New blood donor policy for gay men.

Post by Fancy »

Well, it went from a lifetime ban to 5 years without sex with another man. It's a start.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Apart from the merits of the ban in the first place, I'm not sure this changes much. How many gay men will swear off sex for five years? Or truly bi guys? I just don't think such withdrawal happens much in real life.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

NAB wrote:Just when I thought I had reached a stage in life where I was fairly certain there was very little our government or the media could do or say that could seriously surprise me any more.... along comes something like this......

"Gay men will be allowed to donate blood under new policy in Canada, but only those who abstain from sex"

http://www.theprovince.com/news/will+al ... story.html

Nab

You do realize that all blood is tested before it is used. And oh ya women can contract HIV as well.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

It still sounds like a rule born out of the ignorance of the 1980's.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

NAB wrote:

Nab

If they abstained, would they still be gay?
Just askin'.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

baconbits wrote:You do realize that all blood is tested before it is used.

Is it really though? After all the Hep C blood sent out in the past do you think they really tightened things up forever or maybe they're getting lazy again.

As for the rest of it, is it simply a matter of basing on statistical data. (not saying it's right, but from reality to policy a lot changes)

Also, does anyone know what amount of blood is needed for an accurate test for everything possible out of a regular donation? Also what is the cost to do so, does free donated blood eventually become too expensive to bother?

Return to “Canada”