Goodbye CBC!

WhenWhatWho
Banned

Re: Goodbye CBC!

Post by WhenWhatWho »

logicalview wrote:all I remember the CBC doing when Turdeau was in power was them licking his *bleep*. They didn't hold Trudeau's "feet to the fire" at all, because he was continually increasing their funding. They hate the Conservatives because they are being held accountable for all of the taxpayer cash they continue to blow.

The CBC is just as much a "special interest" as any other broadcaster. I do find their news stories to be interesting, when their inherent leftist bias doesn't come into play, which is unfortunately all too often. But they can't help it, they are government-funded. Trying to argue that the CBC is somehow special and not biased is just idiotic and extremely pathetic. All news agencies are somewhat biased.

How they can't see that the CBC is left heavy is way beyond me. Too close to home?

I avoid the CBC, in any format, like the plaque. Social justice jibberish sucking up taxpayers money that could be spent in better places.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

LV - I believe the term "selective memory" applies. The CBC was allover Pierre when he deserved it. The "fuddle duck" incident is just one example.

Here is another: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_watch_me as the CBC's Tim Ralfe goes after Pierre on civil liberties.

The quotes from Pierre in that interview sure don't sound very "left wing" to me:

"Yes, well there are a lot of bleeding hearts around who just don't like to see people with helmets and guns. All I can say is, go on and bleed, but it is more important to keep law and order in this society than to be worried about weak-kneed people who don't like the looks of a soldier's helmet."

"Yes, I think the society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power in this country and I think that goes to any distance. So long as there is a power in here which is challenging the elected representative of the people I think that power must be stopped and I think it's only, I repeat, weak-kneed bleeding hearts who are afraid to take these measures."

Sound almost like Dubya...

The other aspect of the CBC that you choose to ignore is that the CBC helps to culturally unite us across Canada.

You will notice that most democracies have public broadcasters. The US, Germany, and Britain are easy examples. There is often tension between the public broadcasters and politicians - primarily on the far right and on the far left. That is telling, as it seems only the extremes of the political spectrum seem to attack the public broadcasters. Does that not indicate that generally, public broadcasters are centrist (balanced) oriented?

Attacking PBS didn't go so well for Mitt Romney. And the media genre that the attackers of the CBC seem to favor, the likes of Foxaganda, proved themselves entirely inept and out of touch during the presidential election.

Perhaps the impression that the CBC is not providing balanced coverage stems not so much from bias on the part of the CBC, but precisely because they DO try to balance their coverage. And it is so easy to find screw ups and fibs by the Harper government, that there is bound to be a preponderance of negative stuff about Harper and pipeline Joe et al. The CBC have been all over Mulcair about the unethical use of taxpayer funding for party purposes. The CBC were all over JT for his comments on Ukraine. It's just that Harper and his trained seals are so inept...and so out of touch with Canadians in general. That's not the fault of the CBC, they are just reporting. The CBC didn't appoint Mike Duffy, they are just reporting on his and Harper's joint shenanigans. The CBC didn't appoint Patrick Brazeau, or Pamella Wallin. The CBC didn't pick a fight with SCoC - Harper did. The CBC didn't attack conservationists and environmentalists, Joe Oliver did. And so it goes.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

hobbyguy wrote:
The other aspect of the CBC that you choose to ignore is that the CBC helps to culturally unite us across Canada.

I don't think I ignored it. I just didn't comment on it. Great - it culturally unites us across Canada as we all sit down to watch Murdoch Mysteries. Perfect.

You will notice that most democracies have public broadcasters. The US, Germany, and Britain are easy examples. There is often tension between the public broadcasters and politicians - primarily on the far right and on the far left. That is telling, as it seems only the extremes of the political spectrum seem to attack the public broadcasters. Does that not indicate that generally, public broadcasters are centrist (balanced) oriented?

One area that public broadcasters, especially the BBC has failed at, is exposing the man-made climate change myth. The BBC has been one of the worst propagandists for this stupid hoax and has fought to keep it alive for far too long. Too many public broadcasters are like this - they decide that some leftist cause must be trumpeted no matter what, and fail the public by not being objective. I did like that ABC - Australia's public broadcaster, had the idiot Suzuki on and roasted him big time. It was fantastic to see that serial prevaricator finally have to answer questions that weren't prepared for him, and watch him stumble and fall, as he demonstrated his complete ignorance and arrogance. Oh if only the CBC would provide the Canadian public the same opportunity to expose this charlatan!!

Perhaps the impression that the CBC is not providing balanced coverage stems not so much from bias on the part of the CBC, but precisely because they DO try to balance their coverage.

Or, even more obviously, their coverage has an inherent leftist bias. I always balance what I see on the CBC with other networks, and then get a broad spectrum of an actual event as seen through the leftist eyes of the CBC, the centrist eyes of Global and CTV, and the far right eyes of Sun News. Somewhere, the truth can be distilled but it takes several outlets to find it. I do like Power and Politics with Evan Solomon, as his panels always have representatives from all parties. What is becoming quite clear from these panels is that the Conservatives and Liberals have become quite chummy, and have a sense of humour, while the NDP rep usually is colourless, dry, and humourless, and also quite zealous, which quickly makes them a target for derision and to be made fun of by the Conservative and Liberal. Good entertainment, especially when the loony NDP is almost always the butt of the joke. I really like CBC for doing that, and at least providing an avenue for the Canadian public to see just what a farce the NDP truly is.
Not afraid to say "It".
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

CTV gave us Mike Duffy. If you happened to catch their W5 coverage of Mike Duffy, it is very hard to conclude that Duffy's coverage was ever unbiased.

The CBC gave us HNIC, which is arguably a "cultural uniter". Too bad it is gone, sacrificed at the alter of corporatism.

The main point is that the CBC has been a "thorn in the side" of every government. That's a good thing. The CBC is the one that conducted and aired the critical interviews with Preston Manning and Joe Clark - neither of whom are "lefties", or if you think they are...

Arguably, without the CBC, and our government efforts to preserve Canadian content, Canada would long have been completely overcome by American culture. The CBC remains a key player in that effort.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

logicalview wrote: I do like Power and Politics with Evan Solomon, as his panels always have representatives from all parties. What is becoming quite clear from these panels is that the Conservatives and Liberals have become quite chummy, and have a sense of humour, while the NDP rep usually is colourless, dry, and humourless, and also quite zealous, which quickly makes them a target for derision and to be made fun of by the Conservative and Liberal. Good entertainment, especially when the loony NDP is almost always the butt of the joke. I really like CBC for doing that, and at least providing an avenue for the Canadian public to see just what a farce the NDP truly is.

There you go LV. The CBC even has something for you.

I have to admit I don't watch a lot of CBC but I am glad it remains - for now at least. I mainly watch Global and CTV, CTVNews and some CNN and HNN - but never watch SunTV. I have really appreciated when you guys have posted links to some rant by Ezra Levant though. As far as comedy goes he beats anything ever aired by the CBC!
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

hobbyguy wrote:CTV gave us Mike Duffy. If you happened to catch their W5 coverage of Mike Duffy, it is very hard to conclude that Duffy's coverage was ever unbiased.

Who here called Mike Duffy "unbiased"? I don't recall doing that. I recall, and I'll state it AGAIN, that I said I believe ALL news agencies are biased. The CBC is leftist biased. The only people who can't admit this are leftists. And that's fine. You guys live in your own dream worlds most of the time anyway, so why should the CBC being a home of leftists and totally biased towards leftists in their reporting be something you guys could see or understand.

The CBC gave us HNIC, which is arguably a "cultural uniter".

Ok I was thinking you were writing something worth reading here until you unloaded this stink-bomb:

Too bad it is gone, sacrificed at the alter of corporatism.

LOL - Hobby, you write some head-scratchingly silly things a lot of the time, but this one is right up there and made me want to simultaneously vomit and laugh at the same time. "Sacrificed at the alter of corporatism". What??? You have a really bad habit of just pointing at everything you don't like, and yelling "Corporatism!!" rather than make any effort to understand a concept or topic. And it makes you look really really bad.

So the NHL gets an offer for its broadcast rights, and it is a much higher offer than what the CBC is offering. In order to please you, the economic guru, they should turn down this offer, and instead take a lower offer, or be criticized by Leninist pinheads as being "Corporatists". The players in the NHL should hold a vote. "Do we accept lower salaries due to lower broadcast rights sales in order to please a few radical leftists who don't understand basic economics? Hmmm....well the alternative is that we get paid more for sacrificing our bodies for this sport, and all that happens is some radical loons call us "corporatists". I think we can live with that". Oy vay...just so silly.

The main point is that the CBC has been a "thorn in the side" of every government. That's a good thing.

yes, it's a good thing when it's done in the spirit of actually serving the public and getting the truth, rather than pushing leftist agendas and idiotic propaganda. Case in point - here's a clip of a brain-dead leftist CBC reporter asking John Baird an insanely stupid question that has nothing to do with being a "thorn in the side" of the government, and everything to do with attacking the Conservative party, which of course is job one of the Stalinists running the CBC:

http://www.honestreporting.ca/baird-tak ... tion/14160

So of course, the interpretation of this clip goes at least two ways. I see it as an excellent example of stupid CBC leftist bias, asking a stupid question, and I applaud Baird for his condemnation of the CBC and this reporter in particular. It was an insanely stupid and slanted question with no merit whatsoever, and it's EXACTLY why the CBC sucks in so many ways. This reporter should be ashamed of herself.

Now the leftists who somehow have convinced themselves that the CBC isn't biased, would look at this clip and say this reporter was being "a thorn in Baird's side" and that Baird was "bullying" the reporter and all the usual silly leftist nonsensical blather to apologize for and deflect from the CBC's horrible actions here. And that's always going to be the way I'm afraid. If you really are delusional enough to think that accusing the Conservatives of "using the Gaza conflict" to "advertise for the Conservatives" is good reporting, then you are just delusional, and that's just never going to change.

Arguably, without the CBC, and our government efforts to preserve Canadian content, Canada would long have been completely overcome by American culture. The CBC remains a key player in that effort.

OK great. Now if they could stop being a "key player" in leftist political commentating and move a bit more to the center. Then it would be perfect, or at least, much more palatable to a lot more Canadians, and not just radical leftists.
Not afraid to say "It".
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

LV - you kind of missed the point that whether or not you think the CBC, or any outlet, is leftist depends on how far right you are. It is a relativist term.

For example, the majority of Canadians believe that global warming is at least in part man made. If the CBC reflects that view, doesn't that make them centrist? Especially when you consider that the only outlets that take the "not man made at all" view are, well, the Sun news types - that are clearly far to the right, and the outlets that take the "all man made view", are clearly well out to the far left.

That doesn't mean that your skepticism on that subject is incorrect. What it does mean is that we all have to look past the media, and do our own examination of the subjects that we find controversial.

That, by the way, is why I like these forums - because they "shake up" my thinking.

And part of that is to recognize that all media outlets will only go so far in upsetting their viewer/readerships. Fox news, for example, would probably have their switchboard light up like a Christmas tree if they ever said something good about Obamacare, and if they repeated it, then they would start to lose viewers and consequently advertising revenue.

Return to “Canada”