Need medical marijuana? You'll have to get it by mail

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Need medical marijuana? You'll have to get it by mail

Post by maryjane48 »

After two years of study and discussion, the federal government has finalized new rules for medical marijuana and granted a reprieve to pharmacists who opposed the rules in their draft form.

Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq rolled out the regulations today for formal publication in the Canada Gazette on Wednesday.

Under the new regime, the government will no longer produce or distribute medical pot and medical marijuana users will no longer be allowed to grow the product at home.

Health Canada said since the medical marijuana program was introduced in 2001, it has expanded to 30,000 people from the original 500 authorized to use the product.

"This rapid increase has had unintended consequences for public health, safety and security as a result of allowing individuals to produce marijuana in their homes," the department said in a news release.

"Under the new regulations, production will no longer take place in homes and municipal zoning laws will need to be respected, which will further enhance public safety."

Under the new regulations, the government will allow patients to buy prescribed amounts only from licensed growers who will be required to meet strict conditions.

so in america we have states cashing in on the extra tax it brings, while here in canada we have bible thumpers , sending us in to the dark ages .
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Re: Need medical marijuana? You'll have to get it by mail

Post by KL3-Something »

Good. It was a failed experiment the way it was set up.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

it may have not been set up properly , but this is 20 steps backwards, but i guess you wont mind busting canada post employees that steal other peoples medicine?btw, you one them cops that think pot is worse than booze or cigs or prescription drugs?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

I wonder if Veterans Affairs will continue to cover my medical marijuana now that it won't be supplied by Health Canada...we only just had the ban lifted 4 years ago, hopefully they don't take a step backwards.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/canada-s-n ... z2VqFWWc6k

yup our brave men and women get screwed also
Dave_1963
Banned

Post by Dave_1963 »

So what if you cannot afford it? I thought if you were licensed, you could grow your own? Yeah, this is a huge step backwards. And I'll bet Canada Post will "lose" many packages of pot somewhere along the line. If I am sick, I should be able to grow my own medication with no interference from government agencies. And all along I thought Canada was a "free" country. Proven wrong I guess. SAVE CANADA STOP HARPER!
james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

I quess too many people growin enough for their needs and selling the rest to make a few bucks, Human nature being what it is.
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

KL3-Something wrote:Good. It was a failed experiment the way it was set up.

Yup way too many people taking advantage of the situation. I don't know any stats but by the people I know and what I hear I would say 85% of the people who have/had a license exceed their grow limit and/or sell it as source of income.

It does really suck for the other percentage of people who really do benefit by being able to grow a couple plants for legitimate medical reasons. I'm sure those folks will probably continue to grow it anyway though...
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Wonder if those "licensed growers" will now be big pharma?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

lakevixen wrote:btw, you one them cops that think pot is worse than booze or cigs or prescription drugs?

In some ways, no. In some ways, yes.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

In other words you guys can go back to busting grow ops with out fear of looking foolish when you kick in the doors of legitimate people in need. Because all this has done is driven it deep under ground again and you know it.
You're just afraid to admit that prohibition IS a failed experiment don't you?
Last edited by WhatThe on Jun 11th, 2013, 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Harper and Nicholson should be imprisoned. Scumbags.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

So, you realize now people can (and will) buy better quality product at a cheaper price from the Hells Angels?

You know, those guys that threaten your lives on a daily basis?

Yeah - its much better that THEY get all that non-taxed money to buy counter surveillance equipment, pay off government officials and purchase weapons. Makes your day safer I'm sure.

"Failed experiment".

LOL.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

If the way it was set up is the problem, what would be a better way so that the people who REALLY needed it could grow it or get it more readily and cheaply?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

In some ways, no. In some ways, yes

ty for a honest answer kl, i'll make this short and sweet, every grower i met that did it for profit, was against it being legal, can you tell us why that would be?
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

SurplusElect wrote:
So, you realize now people can (and will) buy better quality product at a cheaper price from the Hells Angels?

You know, those guys that threaten your lives on a daily basis?

Yeah - its much better that THEY get all that non-taxed money to buy counter surveillance equipment, pay off government officials and purchase weapons. Makes your day safer I'm sure.

"Failed experiment".

LOL.

Six of one half a dozen of the other.

The "licensed" grows are very often a front for people who were selling their "overproduction" TO the criminal element.

There has absolutely ZERO oversight by Health Canada into what, how much and where the "licensed" grows were. They were also unwilling/unable to to let the police in on the little secrets. If the police walked in to a grow where the person was sometimes thousands of plants over their "limit" there was no follow-up from Health Canada to review the person's licence. There were the honest ones out there who grew no more than they were licensed to grow and only used what they grew for the intended purpose. But they were the very small minority.

Failed experiment. Time to approached "Medical Marijuana" differently.

Return to “Canada”