Need medical marijuana? You'll have to get it by mail

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Need medical marijuana? You'll have to get it by mail

Post by maryjane48 »

but lady how many worksafe bc accidents or death with weed compared to other drugs including alcohol?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Don't know currently; my dad was a first aid officer in a mill though, when I was growing up. Some of his "slide shows" *urgh*

My point is that like all addicted people, people who smoke weed are convinced they are not affected by it. I have heard people state this, and state their intention to start smoking at the job because "it will be legal and I won't be affected". This horrifies me. We have gotten to the point now that reasonable folk realize that drinking on the job is unwise at the very least; the ones who do drink on the job are addicted. Work and mind-altering substances should NEVER mix.

Whatever the rates are now for weed-related injuries and deaths, dollars to donuts that it will increase exponentially once it is legalized. I firmly believe that people who use addictive substances have compromised brains, and are not capable of making good decisions.
I haven't failed until I quit.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Actually marijuana related deaths remains at zero. I imagine there would be headline stories if they found one.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

jennylives wrote:Actually marijuana related deaths remains at zero. I imagine there would be headline stories if they found one.

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Lady tehMa wrote: I have known people like this who SWEAR it does not affect them, and have said to my face that since it "doesn't affect them at all" that they certainly would go to work baked; because it wouldn't make a difference in their work product. Mill workers, cab drivers even people working in fast food around boiling oil; that is not something I would want to see, ever. Right now they tend to indulge "covertly", and if it were made legal they had stated their intention to partake as often as possible "to make up for all the times they couldn't". On smoke breaks even, "because they can't stop us if it is legal".

I have known people like this who SWEAR it (drinking beer) does not affect them, and have said to my face that since it "doesn't affect them at all – they can control it, maintain" that they certainly would go to work with a buzz; because it wouldn't make a difference in their work product. Mill workers, cab drivers even people working in fast food around boiling oil; that is not something I would want to see, ever, but already have. Right now they tend to indulge "covertly" - at lunch, before work, still impaired from the night before.

Getting rid of costly and destructive marijuana laws doesn’t mean it will be legal to drive or operate machinery stoned, nor would anyone expect an employer to tolerate anyone showing up for work stoned. All those excuses you’ve ascribed to marijuana users have already been used by alcohol drinkers. Finally getting rid of counterproductive marijuana laws that cause far more harm than marijuana use and cost government, society and taxpayers billions doesn’t mean people are going to suddenly start acting irresponsibly. Those that would already are acting that way as our completely ineffective marijuana laws have no impact on that. There are no positive outcomes as a result of our archaic marijuana laws – only negative ones.

Lady tehMa wrote: We have gotten to the point now that reasonable folk realize that drinking on the job is unwise at the very least; the ones who do drink on the job are addicted. Work and mind-altering substances should NEVER mix.

Newsflash – people who don’t realize that are already using at work. Our hapless marijuana laws do nothing to prevent that from happening, just as legalizing it would do nothing to promote using a mind-altering substance at work. Reasonable folk who smoke marijuana are just as reasonable as reasonable folk who consume alcohol. It is the unreasonable ones we need to watch for and our marijuana laws, like alcohol prohibition, cause more harm than good in that regard.

Lady tehMa wrote: Whatever the rates are now for weed-related injuries and deaths, dollars to donuts that it will increase exponentially once it is legalized.

I’ll take you up on that. I love donuts :o)

( and I don't even smoke pot - or anything for that matter )
southernfrau
Board Meister

Post by southernfrau »

When you start about jobs and being high...think about this. How many people take other pain meds OTC or take cold capsules and go to work. Drive there, and work with equipment. They too are impaired and should not be driving. A drug is a drug no matter what it is or how it is taken. Some of those cold meds can really make one out to lunch, yet people still operate machinery at work, they are under the influence.
Prestige Mike
Board Meister

Post by Prestige Mike »

I'm surprised I need to say this, but legalizing marijuana would not give users the green light to start consuming marijuana at work. What a ridiculous argument.
southernfrau
Board Meister

Post by southernfrau »

Prestige Mike, I totally agree. There will still be some that do, just like anything else. It isn't a green light to do it. But for one you smell to high heaven after toking up, so it wouldn't take long before you got noticed by the bosses.
goalie
Übergod

Post by goalie »

Lady tehMa wrote:
I have known people like this who SWEAR it does not affect them, and have said to my face that since it "doesn't affect them at all" that they certainly would go to work baked; because it wouldn't make a difference in their work product. Mill workers, cab drivers even people working in fast food around boiling oil; that is not something I would want to see, ever. Right now they tend to indulge "covertly", and if it were made legal they had stated their intention to partake as often as possible "to make up for all the times they couldn't". On smoke breaks even, "because they can't stop us if it is legal".

Not too many Employers would tolerate having baked people at work, just as they don't tolerate drunks. How many drunk people do you see at work? I'm sure there some and there will be some people who will get stoned but I'd be surprised if any company would tolerate it - even if it's legal.

Return to “Canada”