UN investigates Canada's treatment of Aboriginal Peoples

jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

UN investigates Canada's treatment of Aboriginal Peoples

Post by jimsenchuk »

The Conservative just laugh at all this, sickening IMHO
OTTAWA - Another United Nations envoy is headed for Canada to check up on us, and this time it will focus on the country's the treatment of Aboriginal Peoples.

Last year it was the UN's special envoy on food security, and Olivier De Schutter - the UN special rapporteur on the right to food - wasn't impressed. He concluded that Canada's "self-righteous" attitude belies a very real issue of food insecurity.

The report was widely dismissed and literally laughed at by Conservative cabinet ministers.

Though the relationship between Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Conservative government and the UN has been strained, Canada has granted permission for this latest special envoy, which will make three trips here and produce three reports on what it finds.

A spokesperson for Aboriginal Affairs Minister Bernard Valcourt said the government continues "to take action on important issues like matrimonial real property protection for First Nations on reserve, education, economic development, housing, child and family services and access to safe drinking water."

"We look forward to the opportunity to talk about the steps we're taking," said Erica Meekes.

NDP aboriginal affairs critic Jean Crowder said her party welcomes the envoy and said examination of "Canada's record on violence against aboriginal women and children, unequal access to education, lack of services for child welfare and the state of housing" is needed.

She said she hopes "this time Conservatives will work co-operatively with (the special rapporteur)."

The visits could also provide opportunities for the NDP to renew its calls for an inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women, though Crowder confirmed no such actions.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/ca ... 52348.html
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: UN to investigate Canada's treatment of Aboriginal Peopl

Post by Rwede »

The UN is a useless, bureaucratic waste of money that should be disbanded immediately.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Post by jimsenchuk »

Rwede wrote:The UN is a useless, bureaucratic waste of money that should be disbanded immediately.

okay then, how about if the world court investigate this for crimes against humanity.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

What crimes? Handing over billions in taxpayers' money every year through DNID, free post-secondary education, tax free on-reserve employment and purchases, unlimited hunting and fishing seasons, free medical, and more.

You're saying we should all be shot by some world court for this?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Post by jimsenchuk »

Rwede wrote:1.What crimes? Handing over billions in taxpayers' money every year through DNID, free post-secondary education, tax free on-reserve employment and purchases, unlimited hunting and fishing seasons, free medical, and more.

2.You're saying we should all be shot by some world court for this?

1. So you think no crimes were committed upon the Native Peoples?

2. I have no idea where you get that idea from.

When the Europeans first came to the America's they committed genocide, and i have no problem with my taxes going to the FIRST NATIONS, we and our ancestors created this problem.

We spend billions on killing machines,(military) do you support that?

What ever money the FIRST NATIONS get is well deserved, and they deserve more IMO
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Rwede wrote:What crimes? Handing over billions in taxpayers' money every year through DNID, free post-secondary education, tax free on-reserve employment and purchases, unlimited hunting and fishing seasons, free medical, and more.

How about Staying on topic and talking About These Charges? Every Canadian Should Be Outraged At This Unless You Appprove Of Torture
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Rwede wrote:What crimes? Handing over billions in taxpayers' money every year through DNID, free post-secondary education, tax free on-reserve employment and purchases, unlimited hunting and fishing seasons, free medical, and more.

10/10
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Post by jimsenchuk »

the truth does not want the truth i see, by supporting rwedes comment on this subject, very sad indeed when people think this way, but you have that right to think the way you think, although i think your thinking is wrong though on this matter.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Torture? Who's being tortured?

Sensationalist or what!
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I think that's a great idea. Let's have them look into the disgraceful ways that the band chiefs and councils have squandered the money they have been given. These people have been entrusted with distributing this money to help the members on the reseves, instead they pay themselves handsomely, let the reserve infrastrure fall apart, and hold their hands out for more.

What is needed is a cooperative method of accounting and distribution of the funding and the issues of drugs, alcohol, employment, and education dealt with.

Handing them more money will make the problems worse.
Black Dogs Matter
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Unfortunately, there's truths on both sides of the unending arguments. There's truth that the Canadian government and the organized religions have done some terribly wrong and atrocious things to the native peoples (and continue to do so) and there's also truth that their own chiefs and band councils have been ripping off their on-reserve populations royally and keep holding out their hands for more.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Rwede wrote:Torture? Who's being tortured?

Sensationalist or what!

glad to see you do not think starving on purpose or causing deafness on purpose is not torture , shows your true colors :)
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

dogspoiler wrote:I think that's a great idea. Let's have them look into the disgraceful ways that the band chiefs and councils have squandered the money they have been given. These people have been entrusted with distributing this money to help the members on the reseves, instead they pay themselves handsomely, let the reserve infrastrure fall apart, and hold their hands out for more.

What is needed is a cooperative method of accounting and distribution of the funding and the issues of drugs, alcohol, employment, and education dealt with.

Handing them more money will make the problems worse.

but thats not what this thread is about is it, you like others do not want to talk about what the allegations are , why?
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

There are people that want to dwell in the past and fret over what has been done.

There are people that would like to proceed into the future and improve things.

I count myself in the second group.
Black Dogs Matter
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

So, the government is starving aboriginal people? Aboriginal people can't pick up a spoon and eat?

Return to “Canada”