Is it time to take guns away from the police?

Trigger69
Fledgling

Re: Is it time to take guns away from the police?

Post by Trigger69 »

Liquidnails wrote:What happened to good old fashioned policework... using smarts size and a baton to solve problems rather than guns. Now pretty much any loser is allowed to join the force.

And any loser is allowed to suggest that they are...
We had a shoot out on the west side where the suspects shot at the police unprovoked. So tell me what would you do as a cop using your "smarts, size and a baton" when this was to happen, keeping public, personal safety in mind? Remember when answering, these jerk offs also car jacked a number people in the commission of this crime....putting multiple persons at risk.
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

Trigger69 wrote:We had a shoot out on the west side where the suspects shot at the police unprovoked. So tell me what would you do as a cop using your "smarts, size and a baton" when this was to happen, keeping public, personal safety in mind? Remember when answering, these jerk offs also car jacked a number people in the commission of this crime....putting multiple persons at risk.

C'mon! I'm willing to bet that he's not refering to circumastances like that lol. How often do those types of incidents happen, compared to a simple take down? I'm no statistician but I would get it's probably somewhere around 90% to 10%
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

So what do you expect to happen the 10% of the time?
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

high velocilty police chases with mulitple assailants shooting at them and car-jackings along the way
Trigger69
Fledgling

Post by Trigger69 »

baconbits wrote:
C'mon! I'm willing to bet that he's not refering to circumastances like that lol. How often do those types of incidents happen, compared to a simple take down? I'm no statistician but I would get it's probably somewhere around 90% to 10%

The fact that it happens is enough for me. If you feel cops should not carry guns then as it has already been suggested, I would be all for this if the bad guys out there didn't carry knives, bats, guns, 2x4's etc. I will agree when someone carries and uses a firearm each and everyday (such as cops do) the likelihood of a mistake happening goes up. That said, mistakes being what they are I can honestly say that the "mistakes" that happen if cops DIDNT carry guns would be far greater IMO. Criminals et all would have a field day with this...
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: is it time to take guns away from the police?

Post by Ken7 »

KL3-Something wrote:Ok. So long as you take guns, knives, baseball bats, 2x4s, screw drivers, hammers and crowbars away from the bad guys.

You also forget, no more wood piles too.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Police without guns means that criminals with guns control our society. The whole thread is based on the ridiculous idea that there are civilized countries in the world where the police do not have ready access to guns. That is simply not true.

British Bobbies who are not armed DO NOT attend violent complaints. British Bobbies who ARE armed, most of whom are not in uniform or are wearing EART or SWAT type equipment DO attend violent complaints.

It would be preposterous in Canada ... to the point of being criminally negligent.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Donald G wrote:Police without guns means that criminals with guns control our society. The whole thread is based on the ridiculous idea that there are civilized countries in the world where the police do not have ready access to guns. That is simply not true.

British Bobbies who are not armed DO NOT attend violent complaints. British Bobbies who ARE armed, most of whom are not in uniform or are wearing EART or SWAT type equipment DO attend violent complaints.

It would be preposterous in Canada ... to the point of being criminally negligent.

10/10

You have to consider the source.

If you've never been there....

There are times where deadly force is necessary and without having all the facts of an incident people only assume what should have been done. It is also difficult for those who have no understanding of police training to pass judgement.

I do however feel the level of training is not the same and needs to be bumped up. Not enough time with a well-trained Training Officer can lead to problematic street cops who over react and make poor decisions.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

And any loser is allowed to suggest that they are...
We had a shoot out on the west side where the suspects shot at the police unprovoked. So tell me what would you do as a cop using your "smarts, size and a baton" when this was to happen, keeping public, personal safety in mind? Remember when answering, these jerk offs also car jacked a number people in the commission of this crime....putting multiple persons at risk.

This is hardly a great example of when to show restraint. In this instance, hells yeh! The police should have mowed em down where they stood.

I don't think anyone is saying that there is never a case where firing a weapon is necessary. It is very necessary in many cases.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

mexicalidreamer wrote:
I don't think anyone is saying that there is never a case where firing a weapon is necessary. It is very necessary in many cases.

Then why the suggestion that the police not carry weapons?
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I didn't suggest it. I think that the notion is ludicrous.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

mexicalidreamer wrote:I didn't suggest it. I think that the notion is ludicrous.

Didn't mean you, but that is what this thread is about.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Sometimes, when I stand in line behind a police officer, I wonder what would happen if I reached out and took the officer's gun out of his holster.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Try it. I double dog dare ya!
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Captain Awesome wrote:Sometimes, when I stand in line behind a police officer, I wonder what would happen if I reached out and took the officer's gun out of his holster.

It harder than you think.

Last guy who tried it with me ended up needing to go to the hospital. And, no, he didn't get it out of the holster. But he is unlikely to try it again.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.

Return to “Canada”