Deadly accidents while on cell phones

Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: deadly accidents while on cell phones

Post by Relentless »

Nebula wrote:Since you know more than the cops, why don't you run down to the Doyle detachment and demand to speak to the officer in charge of the traffic section? Get in there and tell him what's what.

Been there, done that, but the traffic section isn't located at the Doyle detachment.
We always get the same old response: We can't be everywhere, under staffed, members get juggled, etc, etc.

Everybody seems to see the epidemic, but we don't see the Law stopping it.
It has become worse then ever before, quite possibly due to the lack of enforcement.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Re: Deadly accidents while on cell phones

Post by KL3-Something »

So, UltraViolet, tell us, if you know so much about the total lack of enforcement in this town by the local traffic section, how many violation tickets did the traffic section write this year to date? Or how many did they write last year? If you are going to accuse them of a total lack of enforcement, how about some numbers to back your allegation up. Or is your opinion based on the lack of enforcement on YOUR street?

FYI, your local traffic section is among the top five sections in the province for productivity. Maybe you expectations are a little too high.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

Traffic section is on Windsor.

A batch of good men and women with a heart of gold, the spine of an ox, and skin as thick as an alligator.

They do the best they can with the little that the taxpayers offer.

If YOU want more or better, be prepared to pay more for their services. Until then............
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

twobits wrote:It is not illegal to speak on a cell phone while driving as long as it is hands free. Presumably the logic is that this is no different really than talking to the passenger in the seat next to you and making that illegal would be absurd. The conclusion from this is that the only thing illegal about using a cell phone is having the device in your hand. This makes sense from the perspective that both hands should be on the wheel at all times. So what this boils down to really is having just one hand on the steering wheel except when shifting a standard vehicle is the problem and qualifies as "distracted driving".
So while the focus is on cell phones in ones hand, should it not be an equal "distracted driving" offence to have ones elbow on the window sill with only one hand on the wheel, a coffee, a muffin, a cigarette. I mean really people, if the crime is one hand on the wheel, why are these other driving habits not included and publically vilified?
I am being the devils advocate here but it is the truth. How far do we want to be regulated?

I find it really interesting that everyone just ignores the elephant in the room that my post above points out? What's the matter all you "nail em to the cross for using a cell phone folks"? No answer as to where we draw the line on what distracted driving really is?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

twobits wrote:I find it really interesting that everyone just ignores the elephant in the room that my post above points out? What's the matter all you "nail em to the cross for using a cell phone folks"? No answer as to where we draw the line on what distracted driving really is?

To me, "distracted driving" could and should include, any accident caused by:

Eating.
Changing a CD/MP/other device.
Applying/fixing make-up.
Yelling at the kids in the back seat.
Looking/gawking at pretty girls on the sidewalk.

AND so many more cases.

Return to “Canada”