9/11 is different

mexi cali
Guru

9/11 is different

Post by mexi cali »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#98409

The above is a link to story that got me thinking about world tragedies and where they fit in our, Canada's, world.

There are endless horrible events happening all over the world every day. We as individuals have the choice to read about them, watch the hi lites or ignore them.

It is unrealistic to think that each and every one of these events should be recognized by our schools or by government because there are simply to many of them. This is no way minimizes the effects on those who are affected.

I did however walk away from this article and I have to admit, I was a bit angered by the response by Superintendent Gloster.

I won't rehash his statements as they are contained in the article but I would hope that the forum family will have a look and decide for themselves whether or not he was correct in his assertion or if he missed the boat and may have inadvertently disrespected the memory of 9-11.

Too me, all tragedies that occur no matter where they are sadden me and I feel for those who are affected but 9-11 was so close to home and was so surreal and there was so much emotional investment from all Canadians that I agree with Ms. M who poses a very appropriate question as to why the significance of the day was not even mentioned.

It is and was a Canadian tragedy. The USA are our cousins, love em or hate em and we all bled red, white and blue that day and for many days after and our kids need to never forget that it happened because in some ways, it still is happening.

The world is different because of it and if that doesn't make it significant enough to be discussed at the very least on the anniversary,
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: 9 11 is different

Post by Fancy »

The assembly wasn't planned for the tragedy surrounding 9/11. How many meetings took place that day in other avenues of employment with no mention of it? The classroom is for teaching - the assembly was to remind students of the obvious (dress code for starters). Have no idea what other information the students received that day. The 12 year anniversary can be acknowledged by the parent if so desired.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Superintendent Gloster may have said a lot more that the writer chose to edit out (especially if it didn't fit the sensationalism slant of the article).

9-11 events may have been dealt with in the classrooms that day. It was not the purpose of the assembly.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Ouch.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

There is mention of 9-11 and other significant historical events by media on anniversary dates. Considering how may people, Americans and otherwise who died after Bush declared it time to "Awe and Shock" and find imaginary weapons of mass destruction, that date would need to be a special assembly day too. May as well add an assembly in for Afganistan, Rwanda, Sudan and Syria, while we are at it.
It is not the responsibility of the school to have special assemblies for each one. The students at the school were in preschool or Kindergarten and First Grade in 2001. Making a big production of this day in history would have caused other parents to complain at that! Some parents don't care to glorify or give special attention to terrorist events. Some prefer that their children are able retain what precious time of childhood and innocence that is left for them. There's plenty of time for kids to learn more than they need to know about terrorism and war for political and religious purposes.
Much better use of time for students to be welcomed to school and to be informed of what is expected of them as good student citizens. The school does this every year at the beginning of the school year. This year the date just happened to be on September 11.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.

Return to “Canada”