53%
No
47%

Total votes: 32

rideforever
Übergod

Harper the Drug Trafficker

Post by rideforever »

harper put on quiet the show at a local drug den recently. The drug that is produced, trafficked and consumed at this site is blamed for more assaults and deaths than any other and yet he thanked parliament for a recent loosening of legislation that allows him to traffic this drug inter-provincially. In the same speech, he spoke about how parliament should not waste their time on drugs.

So harper, which is it? are you thankful when parliament loosens drug laws or do you want them focused on other things?

Do you want our cops, judges, lawyers, correctional officers, probation officers, etc focused on drugs or do you want parliament to focus on them briefly so everyone else can focus on more important issues?

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#98442

Prime Minister Stephen Harper called upon the legacy of Sir. John A. Macdonald during a comic foray into British Columbia's marijuana debate.

Harper says when the country's first prime minister was a member of Parliament for Victoria, in the 19th century, he focused on issues that mattered, like economic growth, not grow-ops, and about a national dream, not a pipe dream.

The comments drew laughter and applause from a crowd of about 600 supporters who purchased tickets for a barbecue Friday evening at Quail's Gate Winery.

During a stop in Kelowna in late July, federal Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau announced that he supported the legalization, taxation and regulation of marijuana.

Pot activist Dana Larsen is currently trying to use initiative legislation in BC to propose a law that would decriminalize marijuana by preventing police from enforcing simple possession laws.

Harper says thanks to a recent bill in Parliament, he can take some BC wine back to Ottawa, and while he doesn't drink alcohol, he has "lots of friends who do."
There were also a handful of protesters outside the winery. They were holding signs stating, 'Harper Babble GMO Food', 'Get Monsanto Out of our food'.

Veovis
Guru

Re: Harper the Drug Trafficker

Post by Veovis »

I can see how taking away an obsolete law that prevents taking a bottle of wine home for friends is the same as selling meth and crack cocaine.

Is it any wonder that a lot of causes get no traction when level of hyperbole people use is off the scale?

This is certainly a nice way to twist things to take a dig at the PM of Canada, but not much more than that in my opinion.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

he focused on issues that mattered, like economic growth, not grow-ops,

He doesn't seem to have a problem stunting economic growth with the pricey and fruitless war on drugs as if throwing away billions and billions of dollars doesn't matter. His focus seems out of focus.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
rideforever
Übergod

Post by rideforever »

An interesting side note, harper has successfully tightened laws against marijuana at least twice during his reign. So his recent statement that he thinks parliament has better things to focus on was a bold face lie.

He has happily wasted their time on it in the past. Even when parliament wasn't interested, he rammed it down their throats by combining it in a bill that tightened laws against sexual predators so the only way people could fight his ridiculous marijuana prohibition was to simultaneously fight the tightening of laws against sexual predators, obviously something no one would do.

The slimy tactics he's used to tighten marijuana laws and the lackluster arguments he uses to support prohibition are clear proof that is there no good argument for prohibition. If there was, he'd use it instead of slimy tactics and obvious lies.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I don't like the way governments lump different laws together.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

PERSONAL attitudes, PERSONAL morals, PERSONAL beliefs have no place in ANY politician's policy making decisions.

Just because a politician is in a position of POWER does not mean he/she is at liberty to inflict the rest of us with laws that infringe upon our choices or freedom to do whatever we like when it does not affect anyone but our own selves.
Chill
rideforever
Übergod

Post by rideforever »

Veovis wrote:I can see how taking away an obsolete law that prevents taking a bottle of wine home for friends is the same as selling meth and crack cocaine.

Is it any wonder that a lot of causes get no traction when level of hyperbole people use is off the scale?

This is certainly a nice way to twist things to take a dig at the PM of Canada, but not much more than that in my opinion.

More evidence that only hypocrites support prohibition.

You call an argument twisted even though it's based on facts (alcohol is a dangerous drug and harper is promoting it) and then you completely alter the other side of the argument from being pro marijuana reform to being pro meth and crack.

If marijuana was so bad, you'd have used marijuana in your post. When you alter the subject to something much worse, you make it clear that even you don't think marijuana is that bad.

It's not a dig at the PM as much as it is highlighting the fact that there is no good argument for prohibition. The biggest supporter of it can't even come up with a decent one without contradicting himself in the same speech.

[edit - typo]
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

And again you simply twist a comment and call me a hypocrite. You said "drug trafficker, so I noted drugs, I didn't relize you were simply wanting this to be another "legalize pot thread" there's one of those already.

An old and silly law on a certain substance was relaxed. You hate him for relieving a drug law but call on him to relax drug laws.

How is that not hypocritical of you?

Yes he is taking obsolete laws away from LEGAL items and not doing so for ILLEGAL items. I get it, you want legal pot and maybe other legal drugs, that's fine and I don't even really disagree with that, but the government removing old stupid laws on legal items and making entirely other substances legal are two very different things.

And seriously, he wasn't promoting mass abuse of alcohol, he was pointing out that it was a good thing that and old ridiculous law had been removed so someone could take a bottle of wine home after vacation. It will also help the wineries out here.

You want legal weed, and that's fine but you are clearly only using that desire to attack the PM through a overdue change in liquor laws. You don't have to like Harper or vote for him, but not everything he does is a direct attack on your desire to buy pot wherever you go, sure it's pretty doubtful he will be the guy to allow legalization, but at least be honest with yourself what this is about. It's not about taking wine home it's about legal pot and as I mentioned there's a thread for that.
TMixer
Board Meister

Post by TMixer »

Veovis wrote:And again you simply twist a comment and call me a hypocrite. You said "drug trafficker, so I noted drugs, I didn't relize you were simply wanting this to be another "legalize pot thread" there's one of those already.

Alcohol is a drug, whether you want to admit it or not.

Veovis wrote:An old and silly law on a certain substance was relaxed. You hate him for relieving a drug law but call on him to relax drug laws.

Wait, are you saying alcohol is a drug or isn't?

Veovis wrote:How is that not hypocritical of you?

Well, you just said you were talking about drugs, not alcohol and then called alcohol a drug. Not quite hypocrisy, but not unlike hypocrisy...

Veovis wrote:Yes he is taking obsolete laws away from LEGAL items and not doing so for ILLEGAL items. I get it, you want legal pot and maybe other legal drugs, that's fine and I don't even really disagree with that, but the government removing old stupid laws on legal items and making entirely other substances legal are two very different things.

The important word in all of that is OBSOLETE. As in he's decided to remove the OBSOLETE laws that affect his friends, but not the ones the majority of Canadians want dealt with.

Veovis wrote:And seriously, he wasn't promoting mass abuse of alcohol, he was pointing out that it was a good thing that and old ridiculous law had been removed so someone could take a bottle of wine home after vacation. It will also help the wineries out here.

It will also help his "friends" who drink alcohol. What he did is say that what the majority of Canadians want doesn't matter until his "friends" agree.

Veovis wrote:You want legal weed, and that's fine but you are clearly only using that desire to attack the PM through a overdue change in liquor laws. You don't have to like Harper or vote for him, but not everything he does is a direct attack on your desire to buy pot wherever you go, sure it's pretty doubtful he will be the guy to allow legalization, but at least be honest with yourself what this is about. It's not about taking wine home it's about legal pot and as I mentioned there's a thread for that.

Harper basically said "John A. MacDonald wasn't trying to fight marijuana prohibition. He was worried about important things!"

A couple points on that.
1: His use of "pipe dreams" is ironic considering his work on oil pipelines.
2: He said that something the majority of Canadians want to see happen is unimportant.
3: He is promoting alcohol abuse and so are you by saying alcohol is not a drug...or is it?
Socially anxious, anxiously social
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Are you saying that the prevention of taking a bottle of wine over a provincial border is the same as shipping loads of cocaine over the border?

If not perhaps you should stay with the reality of the situation which is the transportation of liquor not the legalization of other drugs.

The intent of calling him a drug trafficker in the title is very clear, and it had nothing to due with old booze laws and trying to use "well alcohol is a drug" as a technicality to make this another "legalize pot" thread is obvious.

Honestly having legal pot could be beneficial for tax revenues and clearing off a lot of prisoners jailed for minor possession, however it is a massive item to logistically deal with and no where in the league of a tiny minor obsolete rule that meant I couldn't take a bottle of wine to my family at Christmas time.
TMixer
Board Meister

Post by TMixer »

Veovis wrote:Are you saying that the prevention of taking a bottle of wine over a provincial border is the same as shipping loads of cocaine over the border?

No. I'm saying wine is as much a drug as any other drug.

Veovis wrote:If not perhaps you should stay with the reality of the situation which is the transportation of liquor not the legalization of other drugs.

Liquor is a drug, so it's about the transport of drugs across provincial borders. Harper is "trafficking" a drug. Alcohol.

Veovis wrote:The intent of calling him a drug trafficker in the title is very clear, and it had nothing to due with old booze laws and trying to use "well alcohol is a drug" as a technicality to make this another "legalize pot" thread is obvious.

No. It's showing him as a hypocrite by making it easier for his friends to get their hands on their drug of choice, but ignoring the majority of Canadians when he says marijuana legalization is a bad idea. He has no problem with "his friends" using a drug, legal or not. He's saying this is his country, not ours.

Veovis wrote:Honestly having legal pot could be beneficial for tax revenues and clearing off a lot of prisoners jailed for minor possession, however it is a massive item to logistically deal with and no where in the league of a tiny minor obsolete rule that meant I couldn't take a bottle of wine to my family at Christmas time.

I would agree, except Harper himself brought it up when he mentioned Sir John A. MacDonald, a man who never lived to even see marijuana prohibition, was never concerned with legalizing marijuana and therefore the majority of Canada is stupid for caring.
Socially anxious, anxiously social
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

^^ 10/10
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Veovis wrote:Are you saying that the prevention of taking a bottle of wine over a provincial border is the same as shipping loads of cocaine over the border?

TMixer wrote:No. I'm saying wine is as much a drug as any other drug.

So then yes you are saying there is no difference to yourself between cocaine and alcohol and the use or transportation of such.

You fail to see a difference between legal and illegal substances. Ignored mainly because it hurts your view I would imagine. Legalizing other substances is a lot different than removing a silly old rule and you are clinging to that fact to validate the argument that he removed it simply for his personal desire to transport wine, where the removal of the transportation law has been fought for a long time as it was outdated and a detriment towards economic benefits of a large part of the BC economic environment.

However instead of focusing on making cases for other drugs to be legal and do the hard long hard leg work, it is much easier to simply attack the PM and blame him personally for the things in life others may not have but yet desire. To call him a drug trafficker is nothing other than a hyperbole to allow one to attack someone for removing something long wanted removed by many.

If the people wanting other drugs legal, focused on actual causes instead of hyperbolic comparisons they would likely find a lot more effect and advancement. As you stated the majority of the country likely doesn't oppose your view, yet a view is one thing and logistical fact of implementation is different.

This issue could have been examined in a fashion that stated, "See Harper is removing antiquated rules on alcohol, perhaps he needs to start examining the antiquated rules on marijuana" Likely that would have been well received overall, but "He's a drug Trafficker" and "only helping his cronies" "What a hypocrite" just lets me see that there is no desire for actual change but simply an excuse to make an attack on the PM, which is your right, but mine is also to point out that it's a highly ineffective way to help the causes you want supported and a great way to make people shake their heads and say "It's just another stoner getting upset"
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Oh great, yet another "legalize pot" thread. We haven't had enough of those from the resident dope smokers here. Good grief.

This made me laugh though:

rideforever wrote:There were also a handful of protesters outside the winery. They were holding signs stating, 'Harper Babble GMO Food', 'Get Monsanto Out of our food'.

What a circus it must be sometimes to be prime minister of this country, especially a Conservative PM. You can't even go to a winery to look at wine and talk to a Vintner without being harassed by losers with no jobs following you around crying about stupid crap like GMO etc. You must really get to see a lot of the nut-bar element in this country, and wonder how these people survive, being as dense as they are.
Not afraid to say "It".
rideforever
Übergod

Post by rideforever »

logicalview wrote:There were also a handful of protesters outside the winery. They were holding signs stating, 'Harper Babble GMO Food', 'Get Monsanto Out of our food'.

That quote is not from rideforever or logicalview, it's from article posted on castnet.

Return to “Canada”