David Suzuki embarrassing himself and Canada Down Under

logicalview
Guru

David Suzuki embarrassing himself and Canada Down Under

Post by logicalview »

David Suzuki is currently touring Australia and attending various "climate" events as part of his regular five-star climate junket routine. This time, however, he's not receiving the hero's welcome he's used to, as Australians, having had enough of the billions of dollars (their taxpayer dollars) being poured down the black hole in the fight against "man made climate change", have turfed all of the leftists bums responsible for said waste of money, and are finally stemming the massive bleeding of taxpayer cash. Here's a great article on Suzuki's "climate visit" in Australia from a Canadian perspective:

Silly time for David Suzuki to visit Australia

A week away from the release of part of the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's latest report, the doomsday rhetoric about global warming is at fever pitch.

It's what you'd expect. Climate change, once considered a fact of life barely worth mentioning, has become a multibillion-dollar industry — as well as a leading New Age religion.

And those who point to the inconvenient truth that, according to various temperature data sets, there's been little or no global warming for the past 15 or so years are about as welcome as a skunk at a garden party.

Meanwhile, B.C.'s top eco-doomsayer, David Suzuki, is in Australia on Friday as the keynote speaker at Sydney's EcoXpo, which bills itself as the "all-inclusive forum of sustainable companies and their customers interested in eco-living."

There's an irony to this. And it's unrelated to the fact that, according to the David Suzuki Foundation, air travel is a major source of carbon emissions (something glossed over by eco-jet-setters as they swan around the globe on their planet-saving missions).

It's that Suzuki is visiting a democratic country whose proud people decided earlier this month to reject the Australian Labor Party and its unpopular carbon tax — and vote in conservative Tony Abbott, of the Liberal-National coalition, who once called climate change "absolute crap."

Abbott has since abolished Australia's scare-mongering Climate Commission. Which is the equivalent of Premier Christy Clark disbanding B.C.'s Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions, a university eco-propaganda outfit set up by Victoria in 2008 with $95 million of taxpayers' cash. Come to think of it, that's exactly what Christy should do.

Suzuki, of course, doesn't seem to care what the majority of Australian voters think about their new PM.

He's whipped up a storm by trashing Abbott in the leftist Melbourne Age.

"Your new prime minister Tony Abbott," Suzuki stated, "is just another who finds it easier and more politically rewarding to focus on the next election cycle rather than the mountain of evidence that continues to grow and show we are trashing the biosphere and must reduce carbon emissions."

Mountain of evidence? Well, as top Georgia Institute of Technology climatologist Judith Curry points out, the IPCC certainly seems to have been "in denial" over the pause in the rise of global average temperatures and the "growing discrepancy between models and observations."

However, early media reports suggest even this hyper-politicized panel is finally having to tone down its over-the-top predictions. That's because, according to high-profile University of Alabama climate researcher Roy Spencer, its global-warming theory "has crashed into the hard reality of observations."

Suzuki, though, is not for turning.

He insists that "anyone who understands and cares about the environment and economics will know ditching the carbon tax is not only crazy, it is absolutely suicidal."

In other words, only uncaring, mad, self-destructive ignoramuses would fail to appreciate the need for carbon taxes to save us from oblivion.

But my humble view is that, if you buy into that hysterical load of eco-codswallop, you're doomed all right — because you'll swallow anything.

http://www.theprovince.com/business/Sil ... story.html

But what is better is the Australian press and their review of Dr. Suzuki's "knowledge" on climate change. It turns out that he really doesn't know much, if anything. But that shouldn't be surprising to anyone, Suzuki isn't a "climatologist". AGW fanatics are always quick to point out this fact about anyone else, who may disagree with their doom-saying re climate change, but somehow, Suzuki always gets a free pass. It's ok to "not be a climatologist", as long as you agree with the doom-sayers. Here's a review of just how dumb Suzuki is looking to the Australians right now:

Suzuki revealed as complete know-nothing by very first question on Q&A

Oh. My. God.

David Suzuki on the very first question is revealed as a complete know-nothing. His questioner tells him that the main climate data sets show no real warming for some 15 years.

Suzuki asks for the references, which he should have known if he knew anything of the science.

His questioner then lists them: UAH, RSS, HadCrut and GISS - four of the most basic measurement systems of global temperature.

Suzuki asks what they are.

Anyone interested in global warming should know right there that Suzuki has absolutely no understanding of what he is talking about.

In my opinion he is a phoney.

Here, for Suzuki’s information, is the GISS measurement:

Here is the UAH data:

Here is the RSS data:

Here is HadCRUT:

UPDATE

Naturally, one of the questions is from Nell Schofield, the female voiceover of Media Watch. Just as naturally, she is a global warming believer. Media Watch earlier attacked journalists for getting wrong a report on the IPCC, while being silent on the exaggerations of a Suzuki. Former ABC chairman Maurice Newman is right: there is an ABC “groupthink” on climate change.

UPDATE

Challenged from the floor by Professor Stewart Franks, Suzuki admits he might have been mistaken in claiming global warming was causing more cyclones, which he blamed for killing the Great Barrier Reef. He blames some Australian for “suggesting” it to him. The truth, as I’ve noted before, is easily found on the Bureau of Meteorology website:

How could Suzuki not have known this, especially since there has also been no increase world-wide in cyclones or hurricanes?

This man, in my opinion, is a phoney who lacks the most elementary knowledge of global warming data.

UPDATE

Suzuki stands by his claims that politicians who question the global warming faith should be jailed. Then, when host Tony Jones looks surprised, he says he hasn’t thought it through.

UPDATE

Suzuki is then challenged by an academic on his claim we should forget nuclear power and switch to solar power. The scientist points out the technology for massive solar batteries does not exist yet. Suzuki concedes he does not know.

UPDATE

Another questioner challenges Suzuki on his irrational scaremongering on GM crops and asks for his evidence. Suzuki says “we just don’t know enough” - the great cop out. He has no evidence. He gives some whacky analogy about orchestras.

In my opinion, this man is a phoney.

UPDATE

A researcher into GM bananas, putting in more eyesight-saving vitamin A for countries where bananas are a staple, asks again about Suzuki’s irrational attacks on GM crops.

Suzuki now denies this is “bad science”. But keeps saying we don’t know enough. “What’s the rush?” he demands. It’s been driven by money, complains multi-millionaire Suzuki, who charged a college more than $30,000 to give a speech.

Something tells me no information whatsover would ever be enough for this alarmist. Let the kids go blind.

The Professor says this “rush” is actually 30 years. He then whacks Suzuki on his DDT alarmism.

Suzuki again trots out his old conspiracy that the GM crops are just about money and are too expensive and are not developed to do good.

The Professor whacks him again, noting several examples of GM technology being given away for free to feed poor countries.

“I don’t know,” says Suzuki.

In my opinion he is a complete phoney.

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andr ... ion_on_qa/
Not afraid to say "It".
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Re: David Suzuki embarrassing himself and Canada Down Under

Post by Walking Wounded »

Now if only Canada would realize what this phoney is really like and stop idolizing a pompous windbag the world would be a better place.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

I wonder if Suzuki wanted scantily-clad young women as bodyguards, and did he ask to have them up to his room afterwards so he could thank them "in his own way?"

He should be thrown in jail for fraud, IMO.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

It’s been driven by money, complains multi-millionaire Suzuki

Yup - right into his own pocket. HE has been driving it for money along with his best buddy, Al Gore.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Star Light
Guru

Post by Star Light »

^^^ 10/10
Life is what happens while we are making plans for tomorrow
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Ezra Levant talks about Suzuki looking like a clueless idiot and total phoney on Australian TV yesterday, and even plays video clips:

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/2688616449001

And more:

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/davi ... 8685375001

Odds of this story ever being reported on the CBC? Ha ha - about 0%...it would be unthinkable that the great St. Suzuki would ever be called on any of his garbage by anyone in Canada. Thank goodness for the Australians finally showing that the Emperor has no clothes...
Not afraid to say "It".
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Not sure if you guys knew this, but many people in many countries get rich off the fears of stupid people. This is not a environmental or Suzuki phenomena. The smart have been exploiting the stupid for eons.

All you can do is try and educate yourself. Best of luck !
concernie
Board Meister

Post by concernie »

Rwede wrote:I wonder if Suzuki wanted scantily-clad young women as bodyguards, and did he ask to have them up to his room afterwards so he could thank them "in his own way?"

He should be thrown in jail for fraud, IMO.

So should your beloved BC Liberals and their treasonous carbon tax, BC Clean Energy, UN Agenda 21 sellout.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Suzuki claims Canada building prisons to jail eco-activists

OTTAWA - Environmental guru David Suzuki is convinced the Harper government is secretly building prisons for people guilty of criminal charges related to eco-activism - charges he believes the government is clandestinely devising at this very moment.

Speaking on Australia's ABC TV network Monday, Suzuki assured host Tony Jones and his studio audience that he's no conspiracy theorist, it's just that, "In Canada, we now have a government that is increasing the number of prisons at a time when the rate of crime has been dropping steadily over the last 10 years."

"So I'm wondering, I'm not a guy that thinks about conspiracies, but I'm wondering whether our Prime Minister thinks he's going to be creating new categories of crime, like eco-terrorism."

Jones replied: "With all due respect, that does sound like a conspiracy theory."

The feds' take on Suzuki's claim was similar to Jones'.

"David Suzuki is showing once again how completely out of step he is with average Canadians," Jean-Christophe De Le Ruse, a spokesman for Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney, told QMI Agency.

"(Our 2012 budget) was clear: we have not built any new prisons and we have no plans to do so. David Suzuki is wrong once again: we only lock up criminals and terrorists."

That Suzuki was in Australia in the first place is fascinating and notes a marked change from a fairly strong position he took several years ago when he announced righteously he would no longer travel there because of the carbon emissions inherent in air travel.

He'd still talk to Australians - "but only by video conference."

Australia just elected Tony Abbot, whose conservative party won a sizable majority, and the country's environmentalists have been hyperventilating ever since.

Perhaps it was Abbot's election that prompted Suzuki to break his own vows and make the trip in person.
The political discussions in both Canada and Australia, he warned, need to shift from being driven by ideology to being evidence-based.

"We now have governments that seem to feel that the corporate agenda is the job of government and this is an issue we have to face up to," he said.

Asked by an audience member whether he still believes all climate-skeptic politicians should be jailed, Suzuki said yes.

"You bet," he said, adding he believes the criminal element is "wilful blindness.

"I really haven't thought it through, but I certainly - personally I think there is a great deal of wilful blindness and it ought to be pointed out in some way, yes."

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/po ... 61352.html
Not afraid to say "It".
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Hassel99 wrote:Not sure if you guys knew this, but many people in many countries get rich off the fears of stupid people. This is not a environmental or Suzuki phenomena. The smart have been exploiting the stupid for eons.

All you can do is try and educate yourself. Best of luck !

I agree totally. If you want to give money to the Suzuki Foundation, or buy carbon credits (which kick off a percentage to Al Gore) go ahead. If you want to buy into the "hundred mile diet" and never eat another banana again, be my guest. If you want to turn your kids into sickly pale lethargic zombies by making them eat only crappy vegan food because you think that cows cause global warming, I don't care. But don't spend my tax dollars on this AGW garbage. And don't tax me because of it. Stupid people fall for scams every day. This AGW nonsense is no different than the poor sap who sends off $15,000 to Nigeria thinking they are going to wire him $25 million.
Not afraid to say "It".
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

The Australian press is still having a field day with how idiotic Suzuki made himself look on their national network. Still no mention of Suzuki's meltdown here in Canada in the MSM. It doesn't matter though, as always when it comes to getting the truth out about the latest climate change scandal, the blogosphere and Twitter are doing the media's job for them....

BARBARA KAY: Wizard David Suzuki is exposed for the little man he is

As representatives of the world’s Environmental Ministries meet in Stockholm September 23-26 to agree on a final draft of the latest IPCC Summary for Policymakers, emotions amongst the environmental faithful are running high.
For the environmentally correct, wedded to the “settled science” of global-warming apocalypse, the recently-revealed inconvenient truth that for the past 15 years, there has been virtually no change in temperatures is a nightmare. All the computer models were wrong, some wildly wrong, some only moderately wrong. Not a single one of them, though, predicted the reality of flat temperatures. As Georgia Institute of Technology climatologist and longtime IPCC critic Judith Curry notes, the IPCC is “in denial” with regard to the “growing discrepancy between models and observations.”

No doubt about it, this is a major downer for the doomsday prophets, and a disaster for the most militant guru of them all, Canada’s own David Suzuki. Suzuki has been untouchable on the global warming file in Canada’s mainstream media for many years. None of his gaffes or excesses seem to stick: not his call for jail time for global-warming sceptics and deniers; his rock-star requests, like pretty female “bodyguards” to accompany him on the rounds of his 2012 appearance at John Abbott Cegep in Montreal, for which he was paid the astronomical fee (considering his talk was to educate students on what he considers a moral cause) of $30,000; or the decidedly non-ecological friendliness of his jet-setting lifestyle and multiple-million dollar homes.

But ah, for those who have always considered Suzuki a mercenary, demagogic charlatan, sweet revenge has the Twitterverse buzzing. Last week, Suzuki visited Australia, where the Australian Labour Party (along with its unpopular carbon tax) was recently turfed in favour of the Liberal-National coalition, whose leader Tony Abbott famously called climate change “absolute crap,” and who has abolished Australia’s hand-wringing Climate Commission. And there, Down Under, Suzuki’s Teflon protection from criticism melted before the astonished eyes of Canadians, thanks to Sun Media pundit Ezra Levant.

On his September 24 show, The Source, almost dancing with glee at the opportunity Suzuki’s implosion afforded him for gloating, Levant posted segments of an interview with Suzuki by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation show Q&A, in front of a big live audience. Both Suzuki’s scientific ignorance and ideological fecklessness were on full display. It wasn’t the “love-in” Suzuki usually gets in Canada.

It was “the most revealing interview Suzuki has given,” according to Levant. Scientists in the audience asked him hard questions he couldn’t answer. “The warming continues,” Suzuki responded to an astounded scientist who posed questions about the flat numbers. He pressed. Suzuki demanded sources. Which he got in spades. Then he wouldn’t accept them, impugned the data. He seemed utterly clueless about the scientific vocabulary. “What’s the problem?” Suzuki asked. The interviewer tells him the problem is that it isn’t getting warmer. Suzuki responds, “It is getting warmer.” On and on it goes. You have to see it to believe it.

One diplomatic and soft-spoken environmental scientist in the audience, who admitted he had “lost a lot of the radicalism” he espoused 20 years ago cautions Suzuki not to call dissenting scientists “sceptics” as it is a negative label. “They aren’t climatologists,” say Suzuki. Well yes, many of them are, counters the very polite environmentalist. He asks, “Is it possible the IPCC unwittingly [or not] might have exaggerated?” No, says Suzuki, it is an underestimate of what is going on.
It gets increasingly embarrassing. It’s clear that Suzuki stopped going to conferences and reading scientific material long ago. He is running on purely religious fumes. When posed questions he can’t answer, he goes on the attack. Suzuki accused sceptical scientists of being in the pay of fossil-fuel corporations, a tremendous insult to disinterested scientists like the aforementioned environmentalist who struggled to contain his indignation: “I am not a rich man…I am not funded to say the things I do,” he says with polite acidity to Suzuki.

It got worse! Suzuki still believes that “wilful blindness” should result in legal action against politicians who don’t toe the party line on Suzuki’s belief, “even though I haven’t thought it through to the end.” It was pointed out with more than a touch of asperity by the interviewer that Suzuki had accused Tony Abbott of “criminal negligence” for turfing the Climate Commission. It is not common, he mentioned, for visiting speakers to interfere with local politics. Suzuki blew him off with a smile and stood behind his statement.

Suzuki’s adoring, uncritical Canadian media fans have long formed a phalanx in front of Suzuki to shield viewers from the fact that this emperor isn’t wearing any clothes. His phalanx wasn’t there to shield him in Australia. The sight of Suzuki’s scientific nakedness was not pretty. No, worse, it was indecent.
John Abbott College should ask for its $30,000 back.

http://princearthurherald.com/en/politi ... -man-he-is
Not afraid to say "It".
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

this emperor isn’t wearing any clothes ...

The sight of Suzuki’s scientific nakedness was not pretty. No, worse, it was indecent.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I think Suzuki has got only one thing wrong, and that is that he believes there is only one approach to dealing the inescapable facts, which seems to be the carbon tax and big stick approach.

There are other effective ways to change our way of doing things to a more sustainable meme.

A small example is light bulbs, if I change to LED bulbs, it helps, and at the same time it saves me money. Our government mandated shift in electrical billing (while flawed with regard to electrical heating) incentivizes such changes, as does the banning of 100 watt bulbs.

Mandating higher vehicle efficiency standards, such as the US is doing, will have huge positive effects on carbon emissions, without penalizing industry (all manufacturers play by the same rules) and at the same time helping consumers by lowering the cost of driving.

Abbott appears to be aiming at the same kinds of measures to provide incentives instead of using a carbon tax "big dumb" stick.

I think Suzuki is premature in attacking Abbott and his agenda, because it may work. It deserves a chance, and won't face the ire of the average citizen who could benefit from such measures, and will do so voluntarily, or not do so voluntarily.

One thing is for sure, and that is that if repealing the carbon tax allows Australian LNG to proceed, then world carbon emissions will drop, as the lowered emissions in China (replacing coal) will dwarf anything Australia can do domestically. I suspect that Abbott is aiming at LNG to help replace the jobs that are declining in the coal industry, and that he will continue the domestic shift away from coal fired generation and to NG as a transition fuel.

Maybe, just maybe, Abbott is onto something that will work. He deserves a chance, and being a smart guy (Rhodes scholar) if it can be done, he stands a very good chance of pulling it off.

Rabid ideologs on either side of an issue rarely succeed in making positive change, but directions that work for everyone do.

Suzuki has put himself squarely in the rabid ideolog camp...which doesn't mean I ignore what he has to say - just that I become skeptical of his approaches.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

I agree totally. If you want to give money to the Suzuki Foundation, or buy carbon credits (which kick off a percentage to Al Gore) go ahead. If you want to buy into the "hundred mile diet" and never eat another banana again, be my guest. If you want to turn your kids into sickly pale lethargic zombies by making them eat only crappy vegan food because you think that cows cause global warming, I don't care. But don't spend my tax dollars on this AGW garbage. And don't tax me because of it. Stupid people fall for scams every day. This AGW nonsense is no different than the poor sap who sends off $15,000 to Nigeria thinking they are going to wire him $25 million.

lets start buy selling gas tax free, or lets start by not giving other countries our money
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Here's a transcript for the people who didn't watch Ezra's clips from Australian national TV. As far as I know, Ezra has been the only journalist in Canada to document Suzuki's embarrassing meltdown. This man is a national embarrassment, whose star has long faded, if he ever was one. His fame in the AGW movement was based on just parroting nonsensical sound-bites, and now that he is getting called on his crap (not in Canada - oh no we would never do that!) he is looking more and more like the fraud he truly is...

David Suzuki proves he’s pig ignorant about global warming

By Andrew Bolt

September 24 2013 (2:52pm)

The very first question put to David Suzuki on Q&A last night revealed this warming alarmist’s complete ignorance of the most basic facts of global warming.

Fancy Suzuki not even knowing what the world’s main temperature data sets say about global temperatures. Fancy him not even knowing what those data sets are, even when he is given their names.

The only rational response to Suzuki’s astonishing admission of utter ignorance would have been to say to him: “Sir, you are a phony and imposter. Get off the stage and don’t waste our time for a second longer.”

Read the exchange for yourself:

BILL KOUTALIANOS: Oh, hi. Since 1998 global temperatures have been relatively flat, yet many man-made global warming advocates refuse to acknowledge this simple fact. Has man-made global warming become a new religion in itself?

TONY JONES: David, go ahead.

DAVID SUZUKI: Yeah, well, I don’t know why you’re saying that. The ten hottest years on record, as I understand it, have been in this century. In fact, the warming continues. It may have slowed down but the warming continues and everybody is anticipating some kind of revelation in the next IPCC reports that are saying we got it wrong. As far as I understand, we haven’t. So where are you getting your information? I’m not a climatologist. I wait for the climatologists to tell us what they’re thinking.

TONY JONES: Do you want to respond to that, Bill?

BILL KOUTALIANOS: Sure, yeah. UAH, RSS, HadCRUT, GISS data shows a 17-year flat trend which suggests there may be something wrong with the Co2 warming theory?

DAVID SUZUKI: Sorry, yeah, what is the reference? I don’t…

BILL KOUTALIANOS: Well, they’re the main data sets that IPCC use: UAH, University of Alabama, Huntsville; GISS, Goddard Institute of Science; HadCRUT. I don’t know what that stands for, HadCRUT; and RSS, Remote Sensing something. So those data sets suggest a 17-year flat trend, which suggests there may be a problem with the Co2.

DAVID SUZUKI: No, well, there may be a climate sceptic down in Huntsville, Alabama, who has taken the data and come to that conclusion. I say, let’s wait for the IPCC report to come out and see what the vast bulk of scientists who have been involved in gathering this information will tell us.

See those data sets here.

Like I say, a complete know-nothing, citing false claims:

STEWART FRANKS: In an opinion piece last week you wrote that the Great Barrier Reef was threatened by the increasing frequency of cyclones. Everyone watching and listening can onto the Bureau of Meteorology’s website and see that there is no increase. In fact there has been a decline over the last 40 years and no increase in the severity. Are you not, by exaggerating…

DAVID SUZUKI: That I have to admit…

STEWART FRANKS: ...or even just getting wrong, are you not actually vulnerable of actually undermining your very own aim in that, you know, the Great Barrier Reef does have environmental threat, but cyclones ain’t one of them?

DAVID SUZUKI: All right. That was one, I have to admit, that that was suggested to me by an Australian, and it is true, I mean, it may be a mistake. I don’t know.

Nor does David Suzuki know what the hell he’s on about when he’s fear-mongering about genetically modified crops:

DAVID SUZUKI: Well, I mean, that is always the argument that’s made. GMOs are very, very expensive. Now, the people that need this food are not going to be able to afford it. Are we going to just create these new crops and then give them away? I simply don’t believe that’s what’s going to happen. I don’t think it is a generosity for the rest of humanity that is driving this activity.

RICK ROUSH: Actually, we are. I mean, Bt corn technology has been given away to the Kenyan State Government research people for use for subsistence farmers. Monsanto gave away insect resistant potatoes in Mexico over 20 years ago. James is working on lots of similar cases. In cases where there is no economic return, it is, in fact, being given away and they’re not so difficult to develop. When I was at Cornell, we got a gene that was a gift from Monsanto for experimental purposes. We made broccoli plants that were resistant to attacks of Dimebag Moths. A student - one of our students made about 50 transformants in about six months. The great cost of these things are no longer the actual creation of the plant. It’s the regulatory challenges to take sure that you can take them to market, to do all that safety testing.

TONY JONES: Okay, Rick, well we’ll get a response to that and we’ll move on?

DAVID SUZUKI: Well, I don’t have any response. It sounds great. I don’t know.

How in God’s name could people take this man seriously?

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andr ... l_warming/
Not afraid to say "It".

Return to “Canada”