Former Edmonton cop Derek Huff blows whistle

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Former Edmonton cop Derek Huff blows whistle

Post by maryjane48 »

A former cop with an exemplary record is going public about what he calls corruption in Edmonton police ranks, after he tried internally to expose what he believes is organized brutality, but got no results.

"I stood up for what's right, and I just got run out of the police service,” said Derek Huff, 37. “I still can’t even really believe it.”

Huff is a 10-year-veteran who resigned in February, three years after he said he and his partner watched — stunned — as three plainclothes officers viciously beat a handcuffed man while he was down.

“They basically had their knees on his back and were just punching and kicking him just as hard as they could …six fists just pummelling this guy … I could hear him screaming,” said Huff.

He reported what he saw — and his allegations are now being investigated — but he said until recently the alleged assault was kept quiet.

“I can still remember the sounds of the contact of the knuckles hitting his face… I’ve seen lots of arrests and I’ve never seen anything like that.”

Huff said the main instigator was Constable Jack Redlick, now 30. Before joining the Edmonton Police Service, Redlick, who is six foot three inches tall, was a hockey defenceman who was notorious for his fights on ice.

The alleged victim, according to Huff, was Kasimierz Kozina, who was 29 at the time. Redlick and the other officers had targeted the suspected drug dealer in a sting.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.1871353
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Re: Former Edmonton cop Derek Huff blows whistle

Post by BelieveNothing »

Yep.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

I'm not a cop hater, but EPS does have a reputation...
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

ahem,,, nothing that hasn't been said multiple times before. thats how the drug cops do things and believe me its not just edmonton.

Return to “Canada”