Walks on Forum Water

Northern Gateway pipeline

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Northern Gateway pipeline

Post by grammafreddy »

Its a little soon to say "China must be so happy" however I do wish Harper wasn't so anxious to sell the farm to them. We need to keep control of our natural resources.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

grammafreddy wrote:Its a little soon to say "China must be so happy" however I do wish Harper wasn't so anxious to sell the farm to them. We need to keep control of our natural resources.

I was being sarcastic .. as for Harper .. wishful thinking and much too late for that. Omnibus Bill C-38 was all about making sure that pipeline goes through. I expect a big battle before that happens though.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:I was being sarcastic .. as for Harper .. wishful thinking and much too late for that. Omnibus Bill C-38 was all about making sure that pipeline goes through. I expect a big battle before that happens though.

The ironic part is that most of the combatants in that big battle you refer to, on the anti-development side, will have the time to partake in the battle, only because their daily bread comes from the government, that bread existing only because of the exploitation of natural resources. In other words, the deadbeats fighting this development wouldn't have the time to fight if they weren't beneficiaries of the very development they are fighting. If welfare and other government forms of payout to deadbeat protestors didn't exist, they'd have to get real jobs, which would dramatically cut into the time they spent wasting at protests. Funny isn't it?

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of this pipeline. It should go to Prince Rupert, no other option is worth the risk. The Keystone makes far more sense. It's too bad Obama's administration is so poorly run, and is so horribly influenced by idiots in the environmental special interest sector.
Not afraid to say "It".
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

This guy is smoking something funny, it may get approved by Harper and pipeline Joe, but it will never get built. It will take 5 yrs to get through the courts, and then they have to find construction workers that will bulldoze protesters.

2015 is the key date. Harper goes down and the scenario changes.

The only project that seems to have at least lukewarm support is the possibility of going east. West through northern BC is a dead duck.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

hobbyguy wrote:This guy is smoking something funny, it may get approved by Harper and pipeline Joe, but it will never get built. It will take 5 yrs to get through the courts, and then they have to find construction workers that will bulldoze protesters.

The only project that seems to have at least lukewarm support is the possibility of going east. West through northern BC is a dead duck.

By " this guy " do you mean the Enbridge official ?
I agree with everything you wrote.That's exactly what I say to myself.
Harper will not win the battle. He sure tried though with Omnibus C-38. He's so sneaky.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The government and the nay-sayers should be allowed to speak their mind, but the final decision should be based on science. ie. the environmental assessment results.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Glacier wrote:The government and the nay-sayers should be allowed to speak their mind, but the final decision should be based on science. ie. the environmental assessment results.

After Omnibus Bill C-38 .. Harper has final say.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

The government and the nay-sayers should be allowed to speak their mind, but the final decision should be based on science. ie. the environmental assessment results.

After Omnibus Bill C-38 .. Harper has final say.

Who is Harper?

You mean the boardroom at Enbridge and China? Yes, they have the final say.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

hobbyguy wrote:This guy is smoking something funny, it may get approved by Harper and pipeline Joe, but it will never get built. It will take 5 yrs to get through the courts, and then they have to find construction workers that will bulldoze protesters.

You might want to check out what happens when leftist politicians say NO! to development while right wing politicians say YES!

Ask Adrian how well NO! worked out for him, and I'm quite certain if you're sane you'll revise your predictions about the political landscape after 2015. The timeline for NGP will parallel the approval process and development investment, not political postulation timelines.

BTW - It's a slam dunk that people will vote to have jobs and development every time over welfare and fluffy hair-dos.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Atomoa wrote:
You mean the boardroom at Enbridge and China? Yes, they have the final say.

I wish! It sure would save the Canadian taxpayer millions upon millions of dollars in legal fees and years of wasted time.
Not afraid to say "It".
ForestfortheTrees
Board Meister

Post by ForestfortheTrees »

Rwede wrote:BTW - It's a slam dunk that people will vote to have jobs and development every time over welfare and fluffy hair-dos.

That's right Richard. March ahead. Dam the torpedoes. There is only one way to create jobs. Development at any cost!

If you really investigated what many people have said during the review process, you would find that Northern Gateway is not the kind of development they want. And, they see it threatens their current source of income and/or way of life.
Last edited by ForestfortheTrees on Oct 3rd, 2013, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ForestfortheTrees
Board Meister

Post by ForestfortheTrees »

logicalview wrote:I wish! It sure would save the Canadian taxpayer millions upon millions of dollars in legal fees and years of wasted time.

Yep, when the government grants tree cutting permits to a project that is yet to be approved by a legislated process, you gotta wonder who is shafting who.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Rwede - I'm just stating reality. First nations groups are already planning their legal strategies.

You also need to remember that I'm not against all pipelines. Just dilbit pipelines. For all the Dilbert reasons I've droned on about.

However, that sentiment does NOT apply to the Enbridge route. Only a flatlander could think that tankers in Hecate Strait are an acceptable idea.

Oh yeah, that's Harper...

In the meantime, Harper's Alberta agenda is ignoring the economic realities of the rest of Canada which he is doing absolutely zero about.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Indian bands have no jurisdiction over any land that the NGP will run through. Even reserves are owned and operated by the federal government.

They won't be the final say, and that's how it should be. Indians know nothing about such a development and as such they will not be determining what does or does not happen on MY land, Crown land.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “Canada”