300 Canadians laid off, replaced by temp. foreign workers

goatboy
Guru

Re: 300 Canadians laid off, replaced by temp. foreign worker

Post by goatboy »

GrooveTunes wrote:I hope organized labour are making efforts to contact the temp workers and let them know how they will be viewed before they accept a scab position which imo is what it is. With TD's report about how overblown the claims about the lack of available Canadian skilled workers, it certainly flies in the face of these scum employers and Harper as well. Funny that the usual blathering idiots on this forum have decided to keep quiet about the TD report.

Do you know of any qualified Canadian worker that has applied for a job in the patch and not got an offer (unless there is a justified reason, of course)?
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

my post was meant to be a two-parter - in that in the first one I stated that the Irish would "tune in" the unionists insulting them, and the second part was the part where I explained that by "tune in" I didn't mean in violent means. I do not condone violence and it is the violent union thuggery that I detest most among the many things I detest about unions. For some reason my second post was removed as "off topic" and that troubles me as I wanted to make sure that it was clear that I don't condone violence. Fluff - if you could inbox me as to why that post was deleted as off topic I would appreciate it - thank you.
Not afraid to say "It".
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

logicalview wrote:my post was meant to be a two-parter - in that in the first one I stated that the Irish would "tune in" the unionists insulting them, and the second part was the part where I explained that by "tune in" I didn't mean in violent means.

They aren't 'tuning in' anyone here . They won't even eat in the cafeteria with the rest of the workers , I'm assuming because they aren't getting along or just shy ?
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

xjeepguy wrote:

This was nothing to do with the TW's , there were many , many incidents before they even showed up on site. Bad management , poor training and poor supervision in the field . TW's were just a casualty.

With that kind of track record, i`m curious how they got awarded the contract in the first place.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

xjeepguy wrote:

This was nothing to do with the TW's , there were many , many incidents before they even showed up on site. Bad management , poor training and poor supervision in the field . TW's were just a casualty.

Sn0man wrote:With that kind of track record, i`m curious how they got awarded the contract in the first place.

Lowest bid on tender...
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

GrooveTunes wrote:scab position which imo is what it is.

Temp work visas are not issued as replacements for labour disputes. Never have been and never will be.

If you have evidence this is so let's hear what you have and what you have done about it.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Sn0man wrote:With that kind of track record, i`m curious how they got awarded the contract in the first place.

omisimaw wrote:Lowest bid on tender...

Winner winner chicken dinner .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

omisimaw wrote:Temp work visas are not issued as replacements for labour disputes. Never have been and never will be.

If you have evidence this is so let's hear what you have and what you have done about it.

goatboy wrote:Do you know of any qualified Canadian worker that has applied for a job in the patch and not got an offer (unless there is a justified reason, of course)?

Of course you won't get a straight answer to either question. That's because there is no proof that Temp workers are being used as replacements in labour disputes, nor is there any proof that any qualified Canadians are being denied work, aside from cooked up rhetoric and nonsense from unions, scared crap-less as they lose more and more power. The lies that Canadians are being denied work are planted, and stoked by our leftist media, and due to fear, mostly, people begin to believe these lies, if they are repeated enough.

I was reading a news report about how Danielle Smith was strong-armed into going along with the AGW myth, and the news report actually contained this sentence: "Party delegates will vote Saturday on two resolutions to direct the caucus to push for measures to reduce greenhouse gases, which lead to the extreme weather anomalies associated with climate change." In the history of the AGW fraud, not ONE weather "anomaly" (whatever that even is) has ever been proven to be remotely related to CO2 that has been created by man. This is just complete and total blarney, yet here is our media, stating unproven nonsense as if it is fact. I could go on with many other examples, but suffice to say, you really can't trust much if anything that our media in this country feeds us, be it about temporary workers, man-made climate change, you name it.
Not afraid to say "It".
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

(off-topic comment removed - fluffy)
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I notice the use of xenophobia as a red herring in this discussion. There is NO problem with immigrant workers, folks who can qualify and wish to bring their families and start a new life in Canada.

The issue is the practice of "temporary foreign workers" - for which there is no legitimate need. Li Ka-Sheng and his ilk do not need any more money, least of all that gleaned by underpaying workers. It therefore boils down to greed, pure and simple.

The TD report, and even in this incident the fact that 300 qualified Canadians have been replaced, clearly show that this entire program is hoax perpetrated on Canadians simply to undercut their wages without any valid reason. (Husky oil makes over $400 million per quarter, close to $2 billion per year.)

Quietly in the background, what few good jobs remain in Canada are being "sold down the river" via the EU trade deal, Canada being a party to the Trans Pacific trade talks, the CETA with China.

I have no problem with Canada trading with these countries in mutually beneficial "fair" trade ways - but that is not what is being negotiated. The benefits will all flow to the top, and things like the TFW program are just another salvo in the attack on Canadian prosperity.

I get a kick out of rw folks who absolutely rail against "income redistribution", but fail to see that these programs are just that. Redistributing the incomes of middle class Canadians to the very wealthy and their jobs to the poorly paid in other countries. These "free" trade deals were supposed to be good for working Canadians - what a joke!
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

hobbyguy wrote:I notice the use of xenophobia as a red herring in this discussion. There is NO problem with immigrant workers, folks who can qualify and wish to bring their families and start a new life in Canada.

The issue is the practice of "temporary foreign workers" - for which there is no legitimate need. Li Ka-Sheng and his ilk do not need any more money, least of all that gleaned by underpaying workers. It therefore boils down to greed, pure and simple.

The TD report, and even in this incident the fact that 300 qualified Canadians have been replaced, clearly show that this entire program is hoax perpetrated on Canadians simply to undercut their wages without any valid reason. (Husky oil makes over $400 million per quarter, close to $2 billion per year.)

Quietly in the background, what few good jobs remain in Canada are being "sold down the river" via the EU trade deal, Canada being a party to the Trans Pacific trade talks, the CETA with China.

I have no problem with Canada trading with these countries in mutually beneficial "fair" trade ways - but that is not what is being negotiated. The benefits will all flow to the top, and things like the TFW program are just another salvo in the attack on Canadian prosperity.

I get a kick out of rw folks who absolutely rail against "income redistribution", but fail to see that these programs are just that. Redistributing the incomes of middle class Canadians to the very wealthy and their jobs to the poorly paid in other countries. These "free" trade deals were supposed to be good for working Canadians - what a joke!

Once again I'll ask. Do you know of ANY qualified Canadian that wanted a job in the oil patch not get one?
If Husky oil were simply trying to undercut wages, then why do they pay so well?
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

goatboy wrote:
Once again I'll ask. Do you know of ANY qualified Canadian that wanted a job in the oil patch not get one?
If Husky oil were simply trying to undercut wages, then why do they pay so well?

****Crickets****
Not afraid to say "It".
Fairplay

Post by Fairplay »

The story regarding the Irish workers is blatantly false. First, the program being used is intended to by-pass the Temporary Foreign Worker program. The reason that it is being done this way is to avoid having a Labour market analysis done. The companies, and their friends in the Conservative government know that the statement that there are not enough skilled workers is a lie. So the Conservatives are allowing them to back-door through a different program and have further facilitated this by allowing them to double the number of workers from Ireland. Second, there is a trend to blame workers, and their unions, when jobs are lost overseas or to TFWs. The reality is that the unions are the only voice opposing the steady downward trend in wages and ultimately the destruction of our quality of living. Corporate types would be happy to see Canada become a "third world" country in terms of the conditions for workers. They believe that they are protected and insulated by their "friends" in government. In truth, they are protected through conservative social and financial policies. Until we stop elected governments who only serve corporations we will not be able to reverse this trend.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Fairplay wrote:The story regarding the Irish workers is blatantly false. First, the program being used is intended to by-pass the Temporary Foreign Worker program. The reason that it is being done this way is to avoid having a Labour market analysis done. The companies, and their friends in the Conservative government know that the statement that there are not enough skilled workers is a lie. So the Conservatives are allowing them to back-door through a different program and have further facilitated this by allowing them to double the number of workers from Ireland. Second, there is a trend to blame workers, and their unions, when jobs are lost overseas or to TFWs. The reality is that the unions are the only voice opposing the steady downward trend in wages and ultimately the destruction of our quality of living. Corporate types would be happy to see Canada become a "third world" country in terms of the conditions for workers. They believe that they are protected and insulated by their "friends" in government. In truth, they are protected through conservative social and financial policies. Until we stop elected governments who only serve corporations we will not be able to reverse this trend.

Thankfully, and as evidenced by the last Federal election, there is a large group of people in this country that disagree with your opinion.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

According to the Okanagan Newspaper June 21, 2014 the Federal Conservatives have significantly curbed the Canadian Foreign Worker Program. Business owners are up in arms as they have IMO been using the CFWP to avoid updating working conditions and having to pay low end Canadian workers a decent wage for the work performed.

Kennedy noted that the changes were part of a badly needed overhaul to insure that temporary foreign workers are hired and brought to Canada as a "last and limited resort" which is what the badly abused program was set up for in the first place.

Small and large businesses simply corrupted the program in order to cut salary costs.

Among other things starting immediately the maximum number of Foreign Workers on any job site will be 30%, lowering to 10% by July 2016. Employers in places with high unemployment rates, such as those in the food and retail sectors, will be prevented from using FWs in the lowest wage and skill groups.

Good for Kenney and good for entry level Canadian service workers.

Return to “Canada”