Too BAD Canadian Dairy Farmers! Live with it! Say CHEESE !!

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Too BAD Canadian Dairy Farmers! Live with it! Say CHEESE

Post by maryjane48 »

harper astute? that is a oxymoron, like this trade deal
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

You always say bad things about Harper, why? Who would you replace him with , bearded idiot pot head? Give your head a shake and wake up RIGHT NOW he is the best we have thank god.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

alfred2 wrote:You always say bad things about Harper, why? Who would you replace him with , bearded idiot pot head? Give your head a shake and wake up RIGHT NOW he is the best we have thank god.

That doesn't say much for the state of Canadian Politics does it!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i do not say bad things, i give my opinion on his actions and words . the eu has more to gain off this deal than we do
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

It is rather worrisome when Harper says the fed gov't will compensate anyone who loses business or money through this deal. If the dairy farmers feel the pinch, then companies who sell farm equipment will also have a problem. Will we be compensating them, too? The seed companies? The farm fuel companies? Lots to consider with the ag industry.

He also said if the provinces have higher prescription drug costs, the feds would compensate the provinces for that.

All this "compensating" comes with a cost. Who is ultimately going to pay?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

As I posted elsewhere, The EU alone (individual countries can add to it - and do) subsidizes their farmers to the tune of $80 billion annually. France is the biggest subsidizer. Canada can not hope to compete with those massive subsidies.

If Canadian farm products start to make inroads in France, it is pretty much guaranteed that they will raise subsidies to compensate.

So that is a lose-lose. Canada, theoretically to gain better trade, enters into an agreement where (as GF pointed out) Harper is already talking about increasing subsidies. The Europeans will just raise subsidies to block Canadian imports, or, as is very common in the EU, put up regulatory roadblocks.

(Oh, and don't forget that our perception of cheese prices is warped by massive US subsidies doubled up by allowing the producers to use growth hormones etc.)

So what is this deal all about, when we can see that for the average Canadian it just makes no sense.

The EU told Oliver and Harper that they don't want dilbit.

All of a sudden a "sell out" trade deal is a Harper top priority.

Hmmmm....
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

As somebody who very firmly believes a country that cannot feed itself is at the mercy of the world, I strongly support our ag industry.

One of the things that could be changed to entice younger people into farming would be to have 99-year mortgages.

It bothers me that Chinese and American consortiums are buying our best farmland and grain land and shipping the results out of the country.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

I can't begin to want to wade through the fine print of what has been agreed to in principal. But judging from what I have read in the media, I think there may not be much to worry about, or rather, jump to conclusions. From what I have read, the cheeses that would now be imported are already tremendously expensive in Europe, now add shipping and likely distributor costs. I'm thinking most Canadian consumers will stick with the local varieties. In regards to subsidies, again this is what I have read in the media, the feds will subsidize Canadian farms if there is a notable decrease in sales. This subsidy would/should easily be offset by increase in goods going the other way. More production means more workers = more income tax to collect, increased business for Can. companies = increase in business tax collected.

So ya, I'll take what I've read with a grain of salt and while while a door has opened to allow EU companies easier access to our market of what, 35 million people? Canadian companies have had a door opened to probably 10 times that. I'm not an economists or an accountant but it seems this should be a tremendous opportunity for some Canadian companies with an overall net benefit to the Canadian economy.
workingclasshero
Fledgling

Post by workingclasshero »

Canadian Dairy Producers receive a guaranteed price for their milk based on the production costs for an "average" hypothetical producer. in reality there are very few to no "average" producers, most are above average in management and production, there are a significant number of below average producers with small numbers of cows. the price that the dairy producers receive is enough to keep even the inefficient producers going, many in East Canada. the price makes it possible for efficient producers to make excessive profit with little or no risk. the profitability is demonstrated by the high prices for quota, which is over
$2600 for each cow. on the prairie province most quota is being bought up by Hutterites.
the public should be putting pressure on the Milk Control Board to re-evaluate how the prices are calculated.
each Province is provided with a quota on how much milk can be produced in the Province based on the population of the Province. in BC every year we don't produce enough milk and the milk processors are allowed to bring in cheap milk from the USA, but the consumer doesn't see the lower prices. by the way the milk processors are owned by the milk producers.
this is a sweet deal for the producers but not the consumers.
the amount of cheese that is going to be allowed in from Europe is very small, about 1500 semi truck loads. it will force the
producers here to make a better cheese.

Return to “Canada”