Senators Suspended

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Senators Suspended

Post by Treblehook »

All this whining about the suspension of the three Senators. It has been established, at least on a balance of probability, that all three of them submitted inappropriate expenses and were subsequently remunerated for those false claims, from taxpayer's money. There has been debate about whether the rules were clear enough and whether they have been afforded due process prior to being suspended, is nothing but a smoke screen. Clarity of the rules doesn't matter! For example, a village idiot would know that it would be wrong to declare a summer cottage on Cavendish beach their principal residence, when they knew full well it was not the case. In most Canadian's opinions, to do so would require the individual to have been greedy, arrogant and completely ethically bankrupt!! That in itself is sufficient reason for me to suspend the individual from the Senate. Hopefully the RCMP investigation will surface sufficient evidence to prosecute all three of these people for fraud. All other matters relating to who else in government knew what or did what have nothing to do with actual conduct of these three suspended Senators. Let those people be accountable for their own actions.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Senators Suspended

Post by Rwede »

Put all 3 of them in a jail cell with Rob Ford.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

They wouldn't fit!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

What disappoints me is that a large number of Senators abstained in each case. Perhaps they should be suspended without pay (or put in jail) for not doing what they are paid to do!

I would like to see a list published of the names and party affiliation of those Senators who refused to vote.

Nab
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

NAB wrote:What disappoints me is that a large number of Senators abstained in each case. Perhaps they should be suspended without pay (or put in jail) for not doing what they are paid to do!

I would like to see a list published of the names and party affiliation of those Senators who refused to vote.

Nab

I'm with you on that I'd like to see who has abstained from voting. As for the three I think they should be dismissed. No different than other Federal Employees who have not been given their day in court.

I hope, the end of the day they are Criminally charged and lastely, I think it's time disband the Senate. Enough is enough wasted spending. It is not necessary in my opinion.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Since they cannot depend on Senate paycheques for at least the remainder of the Parliamentary session (could be as much as 2 years apparently), it will be interesting to see what (if anything) Patrick Brazeau, Mike Duffy and Pamela Wallin do to generate personal income in the interim.

Nab
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

EI then Welfare?

We will still be paying them.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

NAB wrote:Since they cannot depend on Senate paycheques for at least the remainder of the Parliamentary session (could be as much as 2 years apparently), it will be interesting to see what (if anything) Patrick Brazeau, Mike Duffy and Pamela Wallin do to generate personal income in the interim.

Nab

So you think they are in the legion of most of the rest of us 'living paycheque to paycheque'? Seems an impossible that they do not have at least a year's worth of living expenses to draw on given their lavish salaries!
Chill
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

A couple of them could stop eating for awhile and survive quite nicely. Might even do them some good.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

22 minutes releases a new hit single: Get Duffy by the Daft Tories,

He's gone to far
He's exposed who we are

Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

NAB wrote:Since they cannot depend on Senate paycheques for at least the remainder of the Parliamentary session (could be as much as 2 years apparently), it will be interesting to see what (if anything) Patrick Brazeau, Mike Duffy and Pamela Wallin do to generate personal income in the interim.Nab

flamingfingers wrote:So you think they are in the legion of most of the rest of us 'living paycheque to paycheque'? Seems an impossible that they do not have at least a year's worth of living expenses to draw on given their lavish salaries!

I suppose one or more of them could be in that legion, given that such things are usually relative and they will no longer be able to supplement their personal lifestyles and partisan political activities (on behalf of the Conservative Party?) through Senate expense accounts at taxpayer expense . What is the expectation in each case - that they are the type of people who will simply just shut up and hibernate their way through a relatively brief (and relatively meaningless in the bigger picture) hiatus from the Senate? And we cannot avoid speculating on the possibility that not only may they have built up some significant legal debt defending their behaviour to date on top of being required to pay back the expenses allegedly wrongly claimed, ....but also still face the possibility of costs related to defending themselves against any further legal actions that may arise.

Remember, they have just been "suspended without pay" not fired. They are, like it or not, still Senators until and unless any of them formally resign. It should be interesting to see who, if anyone, steps forward to help cover their "bail". Or if help funding any such activities, particularly if it involves any use of public money or resources, are kept hidden and buried behind the scenes.

Nab
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Does anyone else find it humorous [if not pathetic] that Pamela Wallin would be sounding off about "the rule of law" in Canada or where one might expect to find it, if not in Canada? These shamed Senators are all acting like adolescents in that none of them has accepted responsibility for their behavior; rather have attempted to shift the focus/blame off to others. And these people are the "significant others" in our society who are supposed to provide leadership and who should be the good examples to the rest of us?????? The notion of all three of them in the stocks from dawn till dusk in the village square seems appropriate.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

The sad part is Larry Curly and Moe are the ones we know about. How many others and for how long have any number of these leaches been sucking the life out if us taxpayers. Just read that almost 89% of those asked in a poll that they dont trust politicians. DUH !!! How can you tell when a politician is lying ?? Their lips are moving. !! I bet all Senators are frantically trying to cover their tracks by trying to remember what they have ripped us off for over the years. Base salary $132000.00 plus all perks you can get away with and then fully indexed pension after 75 yrs old. No one is worth that. Its time for a revolution!! I will appoint myself supreme ruler when the dust settles . Trust me.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

I forgot to ask if Duffy & Wallin would have pensions from somewhere as they were journalists for years. They could apply for EI / Hardship income assistance / PTSD etc.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

NAB wrote:What disappoints me is that a large number of Senators abstained in each case. Perhaps they should be suspended without pay (or put in jail) for not doing what they are paid to do!

Nab

Here is a list of how each Senator voted and their party affiliation, the list is based on the vote to suspend Brazeau, so here are a couple of comments that explain differences in the voting numbers for Duffy and Wallin.

Runciman (C) abstented from Brazeau vote but voted yea for Duffy/Wallin
Brazeau voted Nay for himself then no other votes recorded
Wallin voted Nay for Brazeau/Duffy abstented from her vote

C = Conservative L = Liberal I = Independent

The vote was mostly split Conservative "Yea" Liberal "Nay" and the abstentions mostly Liberal with some Conservative

If you want to see the votes for each senator separately or see if I copied everything correctly go to http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/Sen/Chamber/412/Debates/012db_2013-11-05-e.htm#37
Attachments
senators.JPG
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.

Return to “Canada”