What is it tourists don't like about Canada?

rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Re: What is it tourists don't like about Canada?

Post by rvrepairnut »

techrtr wrote:Because it's super expensive and it's not as pristine as we like to pretend it is. If it moves, we have some redneck shooting it. We have yokels dumping their garbage in the woods. We're tried to create this illusion of politeness and unspoiled wilderness that just doesn't exist anymore. If I was American I probably wouldn't waste my time coming to Canada either. It's just like the US, only more expensive and not as clean in a lot of ways.

you are very wrong. Its exspensive for sure regarding booze and gas no doubt about it.store foods are also 20-30% higher
meats are about the same.Resturants in General are higher but not terrible.Go to lots of states that have little or no recycling charges.There are bottles and cans all over the place.U sure don't see that in BC.we have lots and lots of unspoiled wilderness. Tons of Americans just adore jasper,Banff, Ok valley etc and are in awe when they come up
Biggest thing is high gas,booze and food costs for sure.Plus air travel is higher on average
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

Hotel prices are very high in canada, bc in particular.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

alfred2 wrote:Hotel prices are very high in canada, bc in particular.

yes there high but not just BC Calgary,edmonton,Regina,Toronto are terrible
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Atomoa wrote:Next time you are in Vegas or L.A., ask for "some more" sour cream or salsa and see if you are charged.

Here in Canada (I believe) the trend is to serve food with the bare minimum of dressing/condiments so you ask for more and are subsequently charged for it. When I order a giant plate of nachos and get a single tablespoon of sour cream - the cost of the "extra sour cream" required to garnish the dish properly should be included in the price, not added on afterwards like I ordered two deserts with my meal.

So you're saying tourism is down because some restaurants charge for sour cream?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Captain Awesome wrote:There isn't really much to see in Canada.

Are you kidding us? We meet people from all over the World when we travel Canada. When we were in San Josef Bay in Cape Scott Provincial Park we spotted four people on the beach, turns out they were all from Italy.

When we go to Yoho National Park or Banff National Park, it's difficult to find a Canadian. Everyone is from the States, Europe or Asia.

Glacier National Park? Peeps were from Turkey.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

Captain Awesome wrote:There isn't really much to see in Canada.

I take that comment as a serious attempt at comedy?
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

the coffee
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
bigchef
Fledgling

Post by bigchef »

No question Canada is an amazing country. But if you want to know why we're no longer a huge tourist hub? Mexico and Las Vegas for starters.We can't compete price wise. And sad to say, but it's cheaper for me to holiday in Mexico than Canada. Atleast for the places in Canada i want to go.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

We don't vacation here anymore either ... its simply too expensive. We wanted to drive down to Pacific Rim National Park, nothing fancy, but with fuel, ferry, hotel and food it was cheaper to head down to California and do some exploring there ... plus California offered us big cities, desert, forests, mountains and ocean ... great State :)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

bigchef wrote:No question Canada is an amazing country. But if you want to know why we're no longer a huge tourist hub? Mexico and Las Vegas for starters.We can't compete price wise. And sad to say, but it's cheaper for me to holiday in Mexico than Canada. Atleast for the places in Canada i want to go.

I hear what you are saying. You should check out Palm Springs too. Great prices, and some hotels there even throw in free breakfast and dinners, plus free beer! Hard to beat that.
Not afraid to say "It".
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Dizzy1 wrote:We don't vacation here anymore either ... its simply too expensive. We wanted to drive down to Pacific Rim National Park, nothing fancy, but with fuel, ferry, hotel and food it was cheaper to head down to California and do some exploring there ... plus California offered us big cities, desert, forests, mountains and ocean ... great State :)

I agree as it would cost us over $500. to take our truck and trailer across on the ferry. (round trip)
Won't be going to the Island anytime soon!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

"logicalview"]
bigchef wrote:No question Canada is an amazing country. But if you want to know why we're no longer a huge tourist hub? Mexico and Las Vegas for starters.We can't compete price wise. And sad to say, but it's cheaper for me to holiday in Mexico than Canada. Atleast for the places in Canada i want to go.

"logicalview"]

I hear what you are saying. You should check out Palm Springs too. Great prices, and some hotels there even throw in free breakfast and dinners, plus free beer! Hard to beat that.
[/quote]I live in Indio(same as palm springs) for last 7 years for 5.5 months and although its very nice here most all the time .There are no great deals here accommidation wise and booze in the resturants is almost as bad as Canada price wise on hard stuff,beer is better than Canada but still not cheap.golf is exspensive also.There are some resurant specials for sure but you have really know the area and what places ofer hwat and what times.If u simply walk into a restaurant and buy 2 delux burgers and frys and have a couple rye and coke and a couple beers your looking at 45-50 US.Red robin last nite one beer, two rye,i fish+chip and one little chicken salad type deal was 42 plus tip
NOW booze from stores is dirt cheap though. 30 pack of beer is like 22.00(includes 8% sales tax and deposit)
GruntStevens

Post by GruntStevens »

Arrogant, apathetic, lazy Canadians; and the high prices of over taxation.

Just face it, we are not peace keepers in the world, and haven't been for a long time. We have become spinoffs of America, but somehow maintain this attitude that we are superior.

Maybe we are deserving of a new title "Ugly Canadian". Canadian sheeple, too apathetic to vote, too lazy to do manual labour, too stupid to learn a trade.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Could you publish the above quote in a brand new thread and ask for feedback?

Might be interesting. I'm too fat, lazy and apathetic to do it myself.

TIA.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

GruntStevens wrote:Arrogant, apathetic, lazy Canadians; and the high prices of over taxation.

Just face it, we are not peace keepers in the world, and haven't been for a long time. We have become spinoffs of America, but somehow maintain this attitude that we are superior.

Maybe we are deserving of a new title "Ugly Canadian". Canadian sheeple, too apathetic to vote, too lazy to do manual labour, too stupid to learn a trade.

Ouch ..
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder

Return to “Canada”