Pot-Smoking Mountie Can't Smoke In Uniform, RCMP Says

rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Re: Pot-Smoking Mountie Can't Smoke In Uniform, RCMP Says

Post by rvrepairnut »

Treblehook wrote:I think it unlikely that this pot smoking Mountie will be enjoying the unqualified support of the rank and file members of the Force, and he most certainly won't be enjoying any support from RCMP veterans who spent their careers [doing their best] to serve Canadians and upholding the image of the the Force and who wore their Red Serge tunics with pride. Of this I am quite certain! What Cpl Francis has done is akin to flag desecration by a member of the Canadian military. And then to whine and cry as he turned in his uniform, in a huge media staged display, is equally repugnant.

totally agree
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

i would think, of all people, a 20 year veteran of the force would know what could be done and what shouldn't be done when in contact with rcmp, so as not to be charged with assault. it makes me very curious as to what francis actually did.

Pot-smoking Mountie accused of assault

BY DANIEL PROUSSALIDIS ,PARLIAMENTARY BUREAU
FIRST POSTED: TUESDAY, DECEMBER 10, 2013

OTTAWA — A pot-smoking Mountie from New Brunswick who gained national attention for his public use of the drug now stands charged with assaulting a peace officer.

Fredericton public safety spokeswoman Alycia Morehouse said Cpl. Ron Francis was arrested Friday afternoon after police tried to check up on him.

"Fredericton Police Force responded to a request from the RCMP for assistance," Morehouse said.

RCMP spokeswoman Const. Jullie Rogers-Marsh said Friday's visit was to make sure Francis was OK.

"We were certainly concerned for his well-being and wanted to speak with him when the incident occurred," Rogers-Marsh said.

Morehouse said a judge may order Francis to undergo a psychiatric exam.

The RCMP took his uniforms away last month and placed him on leave after he made national headlines for smoking marijuana while wearing his ceremonial red uniform.

He's been prescribed marijuana to deal with the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/12/10/po ... of-assault
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:i would think, of all people, a 20 year veteran of the force would know what could be done and what shouldn't be done when in contact with rcmp, so as not to be charged with assault. it makes me very curious as to what francis actually did.

You would think so. Unless, of course, he was so stoned he didn't know what he was doing, or "forgot." The link between marijuana use and psychosis is well-documented, and one might expect that this is further evidence of that.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Not afraid to say "It".
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#104448

Pot smoking mountie Tasered by cops
by CTV - Story: 104448
Dec 10, 2013 / 2:35 pm

The Public Safety Department for Fredericton says a Mountie who publicly complained about not being able to smoke medicinal marijuana while on the job was subdued with a stun gun and charged with assaulting another RCMP officer.

Alycia Morehouse, a spokeswoman for the department, says Cpl. Ron Francis is undergoing a psychiatric assessment at the Restigouche Hospital Centre in northern New Brunswick after he was arrested last week.

Francis is due back in provincial court in Fredericton on Jan. 6.

An RCMP spokeswoman says the Mounties were concerned about Francis's well-being when they found him Friday on a street in downtown Fredericton.

Morehouse says the RCMP called Fredericton police for help because the city is not within RCMP jurisdiction.

She says Francis was hit with a stun gun at one point, but she couldn't offer further details, saying the matter is before the courts.

Francis attracted national attention last month when he spoke out against the RCMP's policy that says its officers can't smoke medicinal marijuana while in uniform.

He returned his red serge on orders from his superiors but accused the RCMP and the federal government of not doing enough to support officers with post-traumatic stress disorder.

The RCMP said its officers who are prescribed medicinal marijuana should not be in red serge or regular uniform while taking their medication as it would not portray the right message to the public.

The lawyer for Francis could not be reached for comment.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

this just gets stranger and stranger. the rcmp called the cops on francis!?!?!??! what was he doing?
does this sound suspicious to anyone else?

The Public Safety Department for Fredericton says a Mountie who publicly complained about not being able to smoke medicinal marijuana while on the job was subdued with a stun gun and charged with assaulting another RCMP officer.

Alycia Morehouse, a spokeswoman for the department, says Cpl. Ron Francis is undergoing a psychiatric assessment at the Restigouche Hospital Centre in northern New Brunswick after he was arrested last week.

Francis is due back in provincial court in Fredericton on Jan. 6.

An RCMP spokeswoman says the Mounties were concerned about Francis's well-being when they found him Friday on a street in downtown Fredericton.

Morehouse says the RCMP called Fredericton police for help because the city is not within RCMP jurisdiction.

She says Francis was hit with a stun gun at one point, but she couldn't offer further details, saying the matter is before the courts.

Francis attracted national attention last month when he spoke out against the RCMP's policy that says its officers can't smoke medicinal marijuana while in uniform.

He returned his red serge on orders from his superiors but accused the RCMP and the federal government of not doing enough to support officers with post-traumatic stress disorder.

The RCMP said its officers who are prescribed medicinal marijuana should not be in red serge or regular uniform while taking their medication as it would not portray the right message to the public.

The lawyer for Francis could not be reached for comment.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#104448
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Hey I have a idea.

Let's take a mentally ill policeman who became mentally ill from performing his duties and make life difficult for him.

Let's paint him with a brush. Let's take away his identity because some choose to associate man-made laws with plant matter. A RCMP cant smoke pot, even legally, because pot = crime.

Now let's put him in the media's spotlight. Let's get the RCMP to go full PR mode on him just like any "drug' issue.

...see how he makes out

(Mountie charged with assaulting another police officer now - the police say he needed help - sure sounds like it *eye roll*)

Guns are used by criminals, especially handguns. Why people say a Mountie cant smoke pot legally but can carry a firearm legally (without prejudice that he is a criminal) is rather amusing.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Atomoa wrote:Hey I have a idea.

Let's take a mentally ill policeman who became mentally ill from performing his duties and make life difficult for him.

Let's paint him with a brush. Let's take away his identity because some choose to associate man-made laws with plant matter. A RCMP cant smoke pot, even legally, because pot = crime.

Now let's put him in the media's spotlight. Let's get the RCMP to go full PR mode on him just like any "drug' issue.

...see how he makes out

(Mountie charged with assaulting another police officer now - the police say he needed help - sure sounds like it *eye roll*)

Guns are used by criminals, especially handguns. Why people say a Mountie cant smoke pot legally but can carry a firearm legally (without prejudice that he is a criminal) is rather amusing.

That's a terrible idea.
Not afraid to say "It".
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

logicalview wrote:That's a terrible idea.

That's what some posters here and the RCMP have done though. Oh well.

- Buckminster Fuller
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Nobody said he can't smoke pot - he is legal because he uses it medically. What they said is that he can't smoke it when he is in uniform. However, they said he could have it in cookie form or inhaler form.

However, his point was that too many RCMP members are suffering PTSD because of their jobs and they are not receiving the mental health help they desperately require - hence so many suicides of RCMP (and military) members. His point was the RCMP needed to do more for its mentally ill members and this show of defiance (smoking in uniform in public) was how he chose to get that message out there. I don't think he expected to have to give up his uniforms, though. That would be devastating for a good cop who was just trying to make a difference for his fellow officers.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

grammafreddy wrote:Nobody said he can't smoke pot - he is legal because he uses it medically. What they said is that he can't smoke it when he is in uniform. However, they said he could have it in cookie form or inhaler form.

He legally can carry a firearm as well as smoke marijuana.

I fail to see a difference, and if I did the gun takes precedence over the plant matter.

The RCMP are choosing to associate marijuana with criminality - even when legal - because they choose to. (Are they asking Mounties to conceal their weapons because some people can associate guns with crime?) It's out of Job security, most likely.

If the RCMP had this guys back - it would be a "it's medication, straight and simple" handling of the issue. They are choosing to tow the prohibition line over supporting their comrade by continuing a stigma that supports their views - that this man is "getting away with something" or "doing something wrong".

- Buckminster Fuller
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

Looks like he got what all people get from smoking dope? they become one
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Do you think he was allowed to medicate while in custody?
T.Tsarnaev
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

grammafreddy wrote:Nobody said he can't smoke pot - he is legal because he uses it medically. What they said is that he can't smoke it when he is in uniform. However, they said he could have it in cookie form or inhaler form.

Atomoa wrote:The RCMP are choosing to associate marijuana with criminality - even when legal - because they choose to. (Are they asking Mounties to conceal their weapons because some people can associate guns with crime?) It's out of Job security, most likely.

If the RCMP had this guys back - it would be a "it's medication, straight and simple" handling of the issue. They are choosing to tow the prohibition line over supporting their comrade by continuing a stigma that supports their views - that this man is "getting away with something" or "doing something wrong".

Bull. Try reading his superior's comments on this. He wouldn't be able to smoke a cig in uniform either.

my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I agree completely with you grammafreddy.

Would this even be a thread if it didn't involve a Mountie ? "Coca Cola employee wants to wear his Coke jacket while he smokes pot, Coke says "No" "
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “Canada”