New "Ultra Low Cost" Airline Giving It A Go In Canada

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

New "Ultra Low Cost" Airline Giving It A Go In Canada

Post by Dizzy1 »

Looks like Canada will be getting a new airline based out here in the west ....

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/ ... rn-canada/

... "Jetlines" will be hopefully offering much cheaper fares (plus world record Canadian aviation related taxes/fees) than other Canadian airlines, offering bare bones services and adding fees such as for baggage, carry-on, etc.

It'll be interesting if they have a good go at this or if they'll just end up in the every growing list of defunct Canadian airlines.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
tommythecat
Fledgling

Re: New "Ultra Low Cost" Airline Giving It A Go In Canada

Post by tommythecat »

Hope it works out.

I welcome more competition when it comes to air travel in Canada. Are prices are absolutely rediculous.
Positive energy activates constant elevation
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Even Westjet is no longer that competitive anymore. At times I get cheaper flights on AC nowadays. I wish them good luck
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

If I'm reading it correctly, it's just an idea and they still have to raise money from investors - which might be a tough thing to pull off considering:

1. They want to be low-cost carrier with razor thin margins
2. Airlines are notorious for losing money in general
3. We're still not out of the woods recession-wise and the glory days of airline industries are behind us
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Captain Awesome wrote:If I'm reading it correctly, it's just an idea and they still have to raise money from investors - which might be a tough thing to pull off considering:

1. They want to be low-cost carrier with razor thin margins
2. Airlines are notorious for losing money in general
3. We're still not out of the woods recession-wise and the glory days of airline industries are behind us

Exactly CA, how many of these idea's over last 10 years have failed badly. Leaving those who flew with them high and dry and on their own to get back home.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Greyhound and Jetsgo didn't fare well.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
tommythecat
Fledgling

Post by tommythecat »

I remember flying greyhound from Toronto to Kelowna when I was 17. They sent all of our checked baggage (ski gear) to vancouver, had to rent gear at silver star for 1 of our 4 days out. That sucked.

However I think today air travel is a lot more common. More people are flying. I think if they market it properly and have a good business plan they could find success. I sure hope they do because we need more options here for domestic air travel.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

They say they can turn a profit with the planes being 60% full, which should be easy to do if they are the cheapest on the block. You have to pay extra for everything including carry on luggage though. They are targeting markets in places like Kamloops where rates are currently quite high so I think they just may become a successful business.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

List of defunct discount airlines since 1995:

Greyhound Air
Jetsgo
Roots Air
Vistajet
Zip airlines
Zoom Airlines
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

^ Those are "Low Cost" airlines, not "Ultra Low Cost" airlines. The "ultra low cost" airlines in the states are doing well.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Glacier wrote:^ Those are "Low Cost" airlines, not "Ultra Low Cost" airlines. The "ultra low cost" airlines in the states are doing well.

Domestic flights within US compared to within Canada are way cheaper
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

Yes they are. Maybe it's because there's more than 2 carriers which operate coast to coast. We need more competition.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Just priced out AC fares from Vancouver to Toronto and back (lowest class offered) and Vancouver to Hong Kong (lowest class offered) and I can fly return to Hong Kong for $79 less than return to Toronto. Toronto flight is a bit better than 4 hours' Hong Kong is about 11.... Hmm.....
Chill
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I'd rather go to Hong Kong anyway!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
tommythecat
Fledgling

Post by tommythecat »

Someone told me about this a little while ago.

They offer flights on specific dates and times and if there are enough people to make the flight viable then it goes. I believe it's all based out of Calgary, so if you know anyone there I would pass it along. Hands down the cheapest flights I've seen in this day and age between Calgary and Kelowna.

http://www.gojumpon.com/

I believe they mostly use a charter airline called: Enerjet (http://www.enerjet.ca/)

Return to “Canada”