Yukon moose's rack to set new world record

A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Yukon moose's rack to set new world record

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

just a reminder of how amazing this place we live is.
just a reminder of how amazing this place we live is.

Yukon moose's antler rack beats current world record
Measurement now goes to Judging panel
CBC News Posted: Dec 05, 2013

Dawson City, Yukon, moose hunter Heinz Naef is another step closer to a world record.

This fall he shot what he says is the largest moose ever harvested in Yukon.

This week the official measurements were taken. There is a required 60-day waiting period before the antlers can be measured.

It came in with an official point score of 263 1/8. The current record is 261 5/8.

A panel of judges in the U.S. will have to review the rack before it is officially declared a world record.

Naef estimates the moose weighed more than 560 kilograms.

He says he has enough moose meat to last him until next fall.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/yuk ... -1.2452504
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Yukon moose's rack to set new world record

Post by Bsuds »

Poor Moose.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

Woo!

Nice rack and yes, his freezer will be full!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Hope he was prolific. Can't imagine what to do with that rack.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:
Naef estimates the moose weighed more than 560 kilograms.

He says he has enough moose meat to last him until next fall.

Awesome! Great to see this fellow providing meat for his family, wholesome, free-range, organic moose meat.

Congrats to him on harvesting a big bull that will feed his family for a whole year.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Rwede wrote:Awesome! Great to see this fellow providing meat for his family, wholesome, free-range, organic moose meat.

Congrats to him on harvesting a big bull that will feed his family for a whole year.

Unfortunately, hunters like to bag the biggest game, leaving the smaller ones to breed and thus weakening the line. Kind of like killing the chicken that lays the biggest eggs.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

zzontar wrote:Unfortunately, hunters like to bag the biggest game, leaving the smaller ones to breed and thus weakening the line. Kind of like killing the chicken that lays the biggest eggs.

Not so. Only 3% of hunters are "trophy hunters." The rest worry about filling their freezer. Moreover, with half the genetics coming from the female, and younger bulls also having good genetics, there's no risk of "weakening the line." Genetic diversity is far more healthy for the herd than strictly "large bull" genetics.

This fellow was out looking for meat and happened across a very large bull moose. He wasn't out looking for big antlers. Meat hunters generally shoot smaller, younger animals, as they are better eating than the big bulls. This hunter will have lots of hamburger!

2.1 Hunter motivations
In 2003 and 2004 a short satisfaction questionnaire was distributed by the MOE to survey hunter
and fisher satisfaction. In 2003 there were 713 respondents accounting for 0.9% of the hunting
population and in 2004 there were 3,943 accounting for 4.7% (BC MOE, 2005b, p.1). By a
significant margin, the leading motivation was to obtain game meat, followed by being close to
nature, getting away from day to day activity and the company of partners and family (BC MOE,
2005b, p.6). Bagging a trophy was identified as the most insignificant motivation to hunt, with
only 3% of respondents indicating that as their leading motivation (BC MOE, 2005b, p.7).
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

This hunter was after the meat:

“I knew we had a big moose, but I didn’t think we had a trophy or anything. We’re meat hunters. We’re not wired the same way as trophy hunters. We just knew we had a big moose,” Naef said, casually.

http://yukon-news.com/news/possible-wor ... ar-dawson/

It has been confirmed this set a new world record.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Canada”