Canada Post making changes

GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Canada Post making changes

Post by GrooveTunes »

You can make up whatever fractions and percentages you want to try and distort the truth but the fact is, 5 million Canadians currently get door to door mail delivery.

Apartments aren't even relevant to the discussion as they will not change the way they deliver to them since it's basically the same as having a super box or community box or whatever you want to call it. It's efficient and effective as it is, something the union would obviously not understand or care about.

I'm surprised by two thing with this change. One is that anyone would be so out of touch with reality and so selfish to their own wants that they would oppose this. And two is that I honestly did not know that anyone was still getting home delivery. I've lived in 6 different cities in western Canada the past 20 years and did not receive home delivery in any of those houses. I thought home delivery had ceased around 1990.

I've read nothing in this thread, or anywhere else that in any way shows this to be a bad idea. Some say what about the elderly or disabled....the fact is that 100's if not 1000's of small centres have never had door to door delivery and everyone managed to get their mail. So far the unions stance is based on made up stats and outright lies so it's pretty hard to take their position seriously.
When are unions ever going to learn to be proactive and find ways to help the businesses and industries they are in and at the same time help their membership instead of sucking every nickel they can out until things blow up and either the taxpayers have to bail out companies/industries or 1000's of people lose their jobs.

Interesting to see that one of the best Constitutional lawyers in Canada is representing CUPW and us the taxpayers in the fight to keep door to door delivery...bravo. And he's doing it with made up stats and outright lies from the union..??

Here's a good listen starting at the 11 minute mark of yesterdays show starting with the trekers.

http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/episode/2014/10/16/thursday-nepal-trekkers-new-csis-rules-worlds-tallest-cow-and-more/
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I expect that the post office employees themselves are the ones most concerned about the fact that fewer person hours will be required to deliver mail to super box centres rather than individual mail boxes all along a given rural route.

The taxpayers can't afford to subsidize such individual and time consuming mail delivery just to keep postal delivery people employed.

IMO it has nothing to do with old people. Just a paycheck.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Donald G wrote:The taxpayers can't afford to subsidize such individual and time consuming mail delivery just to keep postal delivery people employed.

Taxpayers are not subsidizing Canada Post.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

They are now with higher stamp prices. Someone has to pay for all the new letter sorting equipment that sort declining mail volumes...lol.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I'm agnostic about whether or not Canada Post should continue door to door delivery, but some of the reasons given for continuing service are laughable. Thousands of seniors have never had door to door delivery, and they've survived just fine. The ones currently getting door to door service will also survive if the service gets cut.

There are two good arguments made for keeping the service:
1) Keep union jobs (a good argument if that's your goal).
2) Getting rid of the service is taking a huge step backwards in providing services to Canadians.

In summary: to argue that service cuts are bad is one thing, but to then equate this to something more dramatic than it really is, is another thing all together.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Captain Awesome ...

You may be right but I can find no way to assure myself that a mail truck can drive out into the country and deliver mail for 50 odd cents.

The cost to operate any vehicle for 1 Km exceeds that amount and unless rural residents get a great deal more mail than I get in my mailbox I would even question the financial feasibility of delivering "in town" mail door to door when a vehicle is used as on our street.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Donald G wrote:You may be right ...

I usually am.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Donald G wrote:To Captain Awesome ...

You may be right but I can find no way to assure myself that a mail truck can drive out into the country and deliver mail for 50 odd cents.

The cost to operate any vehicle for 1 Km exceeds that amount and unless rural residents get a great deal more mail than I get in my mailbox I would even question the financial feasibility of delivering "in town" mail door to door when a vehicle is used as on our street.

Well for the majority of out of town deliveries CP does not supply a vehicle.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Large percentage of seniors currently live in either walled communities or apartments (or senior homes) which have central mail boxes already so they will not be effected.
So the only ones effected are the few that live rural area's & those who live in single dwelling houses, which overall is small percentage.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Groove Tunes ...

Not to belabour the point but are you telling me that out of town deliveries by CP are made on foot? Bicycle? Pony Express?

Or are you talking Super Mailboxes located in the country rather than address to address mailboxes?
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Mail theft from "community mailboxes" reached EPIDEMIC levels according to Castanet this year. Multiple stories run about it.

http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelow ... t-epidemic

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/leads+ ... story.html

When Canada Post converts to community mailboxes - and everyone starts getting their stuff stolen...the obvious choice will be to pay for private, courier based door-to-door delivery services.

Good thing for the the people who own those same courier businesses that donated money to The Conservative Party of Canada when they spoke about taking out Canada Post.

Tear down all public infrastructure. Privatize everything, ect ect.

Stephen Harper has had a erection for dismantling Canada Post since he was the head of the National Citizens Coalition. In order to accomplish this he just has to make sure your mail gets stolen enough times that you "free market choose" to start using UPS (for twice the price). Stephen Harper and Deepak held your mail hostage a few years ago to run down the unions. Think he wont let thieves steal your mail so he can take out Canada Post?

Mail theft is Canada's biggest crime right now.

Solution? - Build unsecure boxes with no security on dark street corners and put EVERYONES mail in the boxes, across Canada.

On privatization, the Conservatives might look to shed some high-profile assets. The government has had conversations with FedEx Corp. about forging closer ties with Canada Post and its profitable subsidiary, Purolator Courier.
Last edited by Atomoa on Oct 17th, 2014, 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
JOF585
Übergod

Post by JOF585 »

Donald G wrote:The taxpayers can't afford to subsidize such individual and time consuming mail delivery just to keep postal delivery people employed.

Canada Post is mandated by Parliament to be self-sufficient and is not supported by taxpayer dollars since 1981.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

If somebody wants to steal Princess Auto and Safeway flyers out of my mailbox they can go ahead. Saves me from taking all flyers and dumping them straight into recycling bin where 99.5% of my mail goes.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Between Email and on line banking I personally never send or receive anything of value by mail any more. Even bills, payments and monetary gifts are done on-line.

Generally what is found in the mailbox, if it came by computer, would be considered spam. Aside from the local newspaper and enclosed advertisements that is.

Apts and gated communities have had central mailboxes for years. CP and the rest of Canada is just catching up.

Return to “Canada”