Are dogs more important than cougars?

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Are dogs more important than cougars?

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Daspoot wrote:When I read the first post of this thread I thought to myself, "Self, no amount of well-reasoned explaining will satisfy the O.P."

So far that's proving true.

You mean there's a noticeable trend? ROFLMAO
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Talk about a pitbull with a bone.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

BC Conservation officers shot and killed a cougar in East Kelowna Wednesday night after it killed a farmer's lambs and ewe.

Conservation Officer Sgt. Josh Lockwood says his officers were called to the property on June Springs Road to trap the cougar after they received a call from a concerned farmer.

“The complainant reported that he had two lambs killed over the last week and then last night a cougar returned and killed a ewe by jumping through the window of his barn, carried the ewe through the window and left without feeding on it.”

When conservation officers got on site they went to find the ewe's body and set a trap, but found the cougar still on scene.

“They encountered the cougar eating the sheep on the property. It was dark and the officers fired one shot and killed the cougar,” said Lockwood.

The farmer who lost the sheep, Klemens Koester, says eight years ago they lost 25-sheep to a cougar, but have since got four dogs to protect the property which had made a difference until this year.

He says he feared for his livestock, but also his family and felt he had to call.

“The cougar actually carried the ewe out of my barn and that is one of the main reasons I had to call. I have been locking up my sheep and lambs and llamas at night and I had to call because if it is carrying it out of my barn when is it going to sit on my balcony,” said Koester. “I was not only scared for my animals, I was scared for my family and kids.”

Sgt. Lockwood says this particular cougar has been in the area a long time and was feeding on deer not causing issues, but recently crossed the line and started killing livestock.
Castanet
Obviously this cougar lost its fear of humans.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

trashgrimace wrote: Cougars aren't protected here in BC.

Incorrect.

Cougars are protected by the Wildlife Act. Strict season dates, age limits, no hunting of family groups, strict compulsory reporting, regional quotas with interim closures when quotas are reached, strict utilization regulations.

Cougars are one of the most intensively managed wildlife species in the province.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

one thing that really ticks me off is cougar can still be hunted with dogs.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Dogs are a good way to track a problem cougar.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Fancy wrote:Dogs are a good way to track a problem cougar.

your way off base.I never said don't use them for a controlled track on one when u have problem cat u DA.I said for general hunting.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

wanderingman wrote:your way off base.I never said don't use them for a controlled track on one when u have problem cat u DA.I said for general hunting.

I didn't quote you - I made a general comment that is not off base.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Using dogs for hunting cougars is the best way to determine the age and sex of a cougar, and whether it is in a family group, before it is harvested. Thus, using dogs helps in conservation efforts to only take mature toms, which has little to no impact on the overall cougar population. A cat treed by dogs can be examined closely for age and sex, whereas a cougar sneaking through the bush (if you even are able to see it) is hard to judge age and sex before harvest.

The toms are well known for killing all of the kittens that a female has in order to bring her back into heat. Harvesting mature toms helps ensure kitten survival and recruitment, thus boosting or at the very least maintaining the overall population.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

Are dogs more important than cougars?

Quick answer is no
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Absolutely dogs are more important when cougars are entering populated areas to kill them. Choosing to ignore the circumstances is irresponsible and I will choose to eliminate a threat to a human life rather than hear about another attack that will affect a person for life.

Return to “Canada”